2016.05.29 George (WA) - The Gorge Amphitheatre (USA) 'Sasquatch! Music Festival

Started by dsanchez, May 27, 2016, 23:15:23

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cheyler

The Cure
Sasquatch! Festival
George WA
May 29th, 2016
[main set] Plainsong ; Pictures Of You ; Closedown ; A Night Like This ; The Walk ;
Push ; In Between Days ; Just Like Heaven ; Last Dance ; High ;
The End Of The World ; Lovesong ; If Only Tonight We Could Sleep ; Want ;
The Hungry Ghost ; From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea; Disintegration
[1st encore] It Can Never Be The Same (new) ; Boys Don't Cry

They played an hour and a half, came out for the first encore, played the new one then skipped all the way to the final song of the encore and walked off without a word and never came back.  Very small unenthusiastic crowd, plus wind delays all day cut a half an hour off their set time on top of the half hour knocked off the set for festival reasons and a wildfire a few miles away it was just a horrible atmosphere to try to play music.  They've been doing 3 hour shows with 4 encores, last night they played an hour and forty minutes with one encore made up of two songs.  Pay $400 and wait for three days enduring an unending parade of mediocrity only to get...that.  They'll never play The Gorge again.  I don't think we'll ever see them in this part of the country ever again, actually.  If they'd played Seattle like they first announced, we'd be talking about an entirely different show and outcome. 

cheyler

According to the local paper:

On classics like "Pictures of You," "A Night Like This" "Push" and "The Hungry Ghost," lead singer Robert Smith, wearing makeup, as in the old days, delivered songs whose lyrics and story lines bristled with clarity, even if they were also a relentless litany of sturm und drang. (Just for you, Ulrich!)

The set also went on far too long – an hour and 45 minutes. Watching a band come out for two encores when only 20 or 30 people are clapping and 95 percent of the crowd has fled was just one of the anomalies of a Sasquatch day that will be long remembered.

From me again:

The Cure aren't suitable for North American festivals, Europe is obviously a different story.  The Cure fans you want will show up in the cities as shown by the sellouts peppered throughout the tour, both in North America and in Europe.  There are lots of folks who are unaware they are even still together, let alone the fact they were coming to town...not Seattle obviously, but OK...the fact that they were playing in Washington state...twice.  More like one-and-a-half times, not twice.

The state treated these guys like shit (pardon me) and the band deserved none of it.  We didn't come through with a show of support and I wouldn't blame them if they never came back.  And no, I didn't go to either show, for reasons already stated.

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cheyler

Thank you, and I apologize for the naughty word.  Sometimes they express a thought more completely than another word might. They're going on in Vancouver in about 70 minutes.  I won't be there either but I can't wait to see if they're going to go 'business as usual' or come charging out of the chute and blow apart the bad feelings from two days ago.  They could always release a live album of The Gorge show, I've got the perfect title: "5:29 Bad Dream"...or 29:5, depending on the market.

cheyler

They just missed the 100 degree F temps in Washington, can't imagine many of the band like the heat, but who knows.