Future remasters...

Started by rjl, August 04, 2007, 23:03:33

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

ok, i guess i have to say sorry for posting my opinion.
but i never post anything here to bother other people, just to have conversation.
and i didn't use words like 'half-arsed' etc. - i just tried to explain why i would prefer a complete gig over any sort of composite - IF i could choose. but well, since i don't think it's going to be my choice anyway so who cares, i guess.

your whole argument shows a pretty high level of disregard for Robert's abilities at writing a decent setlist

no, i actually do highly respect robert's ability to design good setlists - that's exactly why i would prefer to hear one of these fine setlists of those three great shows  intact, rather than listen to something that's been broken apart and copy/psted together in a process of making a composite of a gig that never was.
anyway, i guess i'll leave it here. i find it a bit uncomfortable that my opinion on something is really bothering someone that much. because it shouldn't.

edit:

Do you honestly believe that the songs couldn't be structured to fit the concert?

no i never said that. i wasn't saying "these songs simply can't be re-structured a new." all i was saying was if i had the choice, i'd love to hear the original structure of one of those gigs, just as it was played, and that i'd prefer that over a composite.
just like if i had a choice, i would have chosen a complete gig from berlin or taormina 2005 over the composite Festival dvd.
i was only stating a preference.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Steve

I've been reading this thread & can see that you have both got very strong opinions & the logic works in both your arguments for sure.
It's only natural that at some point you're both going to clash over what you both think is right.
For what it's worth, I would (of course) like to have the last night to have & to hold from this day forth, but I do suspect that whatever eventually surfaces will be a pared down "highlights" release, that will still be good. IMHO the Cure have since not really hit that same high as they did on those Wembley nights (my opinion). I may be slightly (okay then, very) biased as I was at the last night.
Of course, if they really wanted to make everyone happy, they would release all of them in a collectors set :D.
What is, I think, clear is that they have recognised that this run of shows was fantastic, or they wouldn't even consider issuing them (or part of them).
Fingers crossed that we are all happy in the end.
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

japanesebaby

i've been a bit bothered that i might have come across a bit blunt in my last post. i'd like to blame it on a bad day but i guess that might sound a bit lame excuse.
anyway, i didn't mean to imply i was right and someone else was wrong. one thing i've alwasy liked around here is that people can have so different opinions on the same old things. it would be dead-borgin if everyone thought the same.

anyway, just in short, maybe i can explain a bit further why i'd really hope for a complete/uncut gig over a composite version - even if the composite included all the songs played on those gigs:
i've been a lot into live music collecting and it has been my wish for a rather long time now to find a complete prayer tour soundboard. whereas there are usually some soundboard sources from the other tours (not always complete ones but anyway) but as we know, the prayer tour soundboards still remain very hidden, up to the extent that they seem to have an almost mythical aura around them by now.
so just thinking about the opportunity here, to finally get a complete soundboard from this tour if entreat was remastered... i guess it would simply be a dream come true for me if they put out a complete gig. that would mean fulfilling one little dream i've had. it would certainly be the dearest of the remasters for me then (assuming they did the remastering job right - hehe).
and if they decided to cut the shows into pieces and make a composite: well of course that would still be a great thing to have, there's no doubt about it. but compared to the idea of a complete soundboard... i'd just have no difficulty to point which one i'd prefer if i had the choice. if i had, indeed.

with that said, i hope there's no hard feelings left concerning what i said earlier. no one's opinion here is better than others. i guess this topic just hit me pretty near the heart so i might have got a bit too passionate about it...

peace?  :smth001
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine