2014.03.29 London - Royal Albert Hall (England) 'Teenage Cancer Trust'

Started by Ulrich, January 29, 2014, 14:01:11

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

I am in London!

I don't want to look at the topic of yesterday's concert because I don't want to know the setlist :P

see you everyone at the Queen's Arms today for the Cure lunch!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

erpomata

I'm out of rah now. Show ended 15 min ago. Exactly the same setlist. I'm very Angry. Same f

.. Pop encore just to let occasional cure fans dance. Ok now i Know i'll die without listening figurehead live :oops:
fortunato il popolo che non ha bisogno di eroi

plainsong16

Ulrich

Quote from: erpomata on March 30, 2014, 00:30:58
I'm out of rah now. Show ended 15 min ago. Exactly the same setlist. I'm very Angry.

Remember the reason for these 2 shows:
http://craigjparker.blogspot.de/2014/03/remember-reason-for-these-2-shows.html

David did the right thing:
Quote from: dsanchez on March 29, 2014, 11:35:18
I don't want to look at the topic of yesterday's concert because I don't want to know the setlist

:smth023
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Just arrived home! A great but as usual short weekend (next time I will stay one day more in the city I am visiting to chill out and enjoy a bit more). It was great to meet again some of you! I will back later with my gig review (going to take a rest now).
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: erpomata on March 30, 2014, 00:30:58
Same f.. Pop encore

actually the pop encore was worst because they added the worst Cure song ever - "Freak Show" :P
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

revolt_again

Setlist: Plainsong, Prayers For Rain, A Strange Day, A Night Like This, Stop Dead, Push, Inbetween Days, 2 Late, Jupiter Crash, End of the World, Lovesong, Mint Car, Friday I'm in Love, Doing the Unstuck, Trust, Pictures of You, Lullaby, High, Harold & Joe, The Caterpillar, The Walk, Sleep When I'm Dead, Just Like Heaven, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, Want, The Hungry Ghost, Wrong Number, One Hundred Years, Disintegration

1st Encore: If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, Shake Dog Shake, Fascination Street, Bananafishbones, Play For Today, A Forest

2nd Encore: Catch, The Lovecats, Hot Hot Hot, Let's Go to Bed, Freakshow, Close To Me, Why Can't I Be You?

3rd Encore: Boys Don't Cry, 10:15 Saturday Night, Killing An Arab.

Some comments:

1. That first encore must have been great - I definitely would have liked to hear it...

2. It's good that they are playing some b-sides. I specially like '2 Late', 'Harold and Joe' is fun, it's only 'Stop Dead' that hasn't ever done anything for me...

3. Again, it's good that they're playing the stuff from WMS that really matters - 'Want', 'Jupiter Crash'... But 'Mint Car' I'll never understand. Why does Robert keep playing this one? I know it was a single but it never was a (big) hit anyway...

4. So they started with 'Plainsong' after all. Actually, this would have been my first guess, it seems that it's the band's own favourite opener ever.

5. It is a bit weird that they played the exact same set list on 2 nights in a row. It would be expected that the core list would be about the same with maybe 2 or 3 songs changed from night to night, but no, it was exactly the same...  :smth017

dsanchez

It was my second time at the Royal Albert Hall and it was excellent, but not at the level of my first time there (the 'Reflections' show). One of the reasons might be that, as I said, it was not the first time at this beautiful venue. The second reason is that the show's setlist was pretty similar to the one I heard in Peru last year (with the exception of course of the 'new' songs -Harold and Joe and 2 Late- and the inclusion of Jupiter Crash).

However, let's remember that the reason for this concert was a support a good cause, therefore what they played or what they didn't is not too important (just answering Revol's fourth remark above)

Having said that, I want to say that the band sounded great! Highlights for me were 'Plainsong, 'A Forest', 'Push' and 'Killing An Arab'. However, some songs were spoiled for me: particularly 'A Night Like This'. Reeves is an excellent guitarist, but I think sometimes he forgets he is in The Cure and not in a rock band as Aerosmith. When I heard the solo guitar of Reeves I just couldn't stop missing Porl's solo In Orange.

The inclusion of songs not previously played is a great thing, but I was personally not too 'crazy' about it as I was never a big fan of 'stop dead', 'harold and joe' or '2 late'. If, however, they would have played 'Piggy In The Mirror' or 'The Big Hand' I probably would have been in tears.

Revolt was asking why they played 'Mint Car'. I am probably the only Cure fan there who likes it, so for me this song is always welcome. What I don't understand is why Robert included 'Freak Show'. It's probably one of the lowest points in Cure's career.

In addition of the concert, I want to say that it was great to meet again erpomata, theloudestcure, Lady, disintegration, japanesebaby (didn't see her since Paris 2008), Trust, x-phile, gabriela, Jakso, Jojo and his friend Jarlett and italian curefan Massimo who joined us for the lunch at the Queens Arms (a bar restaurant located close to the Royal Albert Hall - by the way, I was surprised to find there peruvian beer!). It's just a pitty that is always too short! We were there having a drink and a lunch and the time went just too fast...

As for myself I don't want to see a The Cure concert in a seat anymore! It's just too boring! Not only for the fact of seeing the band as if I was at a cinema, but because of the annoying people who needed to go for beers everytime. I guess I had to stand up about 15 times during the concert to let this people pass  :?so next time I will join you guys at the Arena!

And next time I will also stay one night more in any city I go to see The Cure. This thing of seeing the band and just waking up early next morning to catch a flight, well, I used to do this back when I was in my 20's (I didn't mind sleeping in train stations or airports either) but as I am approaching slowly to the 40's :o I guess, I just want more comfort and enjoy a bit more this occasions.

See you again :smth023
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Thanks for your review!  :smth023

Quote from: dsanchez on March 31, 2014, 11:40:53
Revolt was asking why they played 'Mint Car'. I am probably the only Cure fan there who likes it, so for me this song is always welcome. What I don't understand is why Robert included 'Freak Show'. It's probably one of the lowest points in Cure's career.

As for myself I don't want to see a The Cure concert in a seat anymore! It's just too boring!

I agree, I saw some gigs in seats and it's just not right for such a show mostly (even though staying on your feet for 3+ hours can be demanding)!
As I said before, I used to like "Mint Car" and would love to hear it live again (I last did in 1996).  :)

x-phile

I thought exactly the same when I heard the solo guitar of Reeves in "Night like this"
By the way I like "Mint Car" too
Take Cure

Ulrich

What the RAH shows were all about (FB post by Reeves):

http://craigjparker.blogspot.it/2014/04/what-rah-shows-were-all-about.html

Quotelast weekend, thanks to the teenage cancer trust (tct), roger daltrey and royal albert hall – where i played two benefit shows for great audiences with my bandmates in the cure -- i had the wonderful opportunity to visit with two groups of teenagers from all over the u.k. who are at different stages in their fight with cancer. some are just beginning the fight... others are victorious and already giving back energy to their brothers and sisters in battle.

on saturday afternoon, i was invited to watch the tct gang perform 2 songs they had written about their time with the disease. it was an incredibly moving experience, made more powerful by their joy, bravery and determination in the face of the big C.

that is why we were performing... that is what put the fire and heart in our performances.
we played for all those that were there, all those we met and those we may never meet.
thank you teenage cancer trust for the honour and opportunity to help in some small way.

http://youtu.be/du2GN7CqEmo

japanesebaby

Quote from: x-phile on April 02, 2014, 12:55:50
By the way I like "Mint Car" too

me too, i was really glad to see it back in the set. always liked it very much. besides, i find the video brilliant, old school bonkers cure video. surely everyone's seen it dozens of times, but why not watch again? good for a friday night :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7F9LhuMsrQ
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

sootycure

A f*cking AMAZING SHOW!!!!!!! ONE OF THE BEST NIGHTS OF MY LIFE!!!!! :) [the other best nights were other Cure shows :) ]
I'm so glad you came
I'm so glad you remembered
To see how we're ending
Our last dance together
Reluctantly
Cautiously
But prettier than ever
I really believe that this time it's forever

cheyler

I love 'Mint Car' too, ever since buying the single way back (18 years ago??).  'Boys Don't Cry' single is nearly twice that long ago...something is wrong with the clocks.  Always liked '2 Late' also, it was listed as 'Late' on some CD singles, been calling it that since 1989.  Have to agree on 'Stop Dead' and 'Freakshow' too.  'Freakshow' from Rome in October 2008 was palatable, that one time, but that was it.  'Stop Dead' from Austin TX last year was palatable, again the one time.  'Mint Car' is just FIIL with a 5-o'clock-shadow and a half-tab of ecstasy.