Favourite 10 albums (outside of The Cure)

Started by tigermilk, April 03, 2008, 03:47:48

Previous topic - Next topic

revolt

Quote from: tigermilk on September 20, 2008, 13:18:36
OK, so my list has changed since last time  :roll:

Ride - Nowhere
Lush - Lovelife
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Juju
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Slowdive - Just For A Day
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Cocteau Twins - Victorialand
Bjork - Post
The Magnetic Fields - Get Lost
PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

Great to see "Nowhere" and "Juju" in there! I suppose you're a big shoegaze fan, then? Have you ever checked "Isn't Anything" by My Bloody Valentine? I ask this because in my opinion it is a much better album than "Loveless"...

tigermilk

Quote from: revolt on September 23, 2008, 11:03:00
Great to see "Nowhere" and "Juju" in there! I suppose you're a big shoegaze fan, then? Have you ever checked "Isn't Anything" by My Bloody Valentine? I ask this because in my opinion it is a much better album than "Loveless"...

"Nowhere" and "Juju" are incredible aren't they? And yes, you guessed right, I'm a big shoegaze fan. I'd say about 90% of my iPod is shoegaze actually. I love "Isn't Anything" as well, it's brilliant, but I like "Loveless" just a little more because it was my first album of theirs. I remember how I felt when I was listening to it for the first time, I was in complete awe and never realised music so atmospheric and layered existed and 'Only Shallow' still to this day blows my mind. "Isn't Anything" would definately be in my top 20 for sure! I've got some of their earlier stuff too, but nothing compares to these two albums. It's great to see another MBV fan on here.
:smth023

revolt

Quote from: tigermilk on September 23, 2008, 17:16:18
Quote from: revolt on September 23, 2008, 11:03:00

"Nowhere" and "Juju" are incredible aren't they? And yes, you guessed right, I'm a big shoegaze fan. I'd say about 90% of my iPod is shoegaze actually. I love "Isn't Anything" as well, it's brilliant, but I like "Loveless" just a little more because it was my first album of theirs. I remember how I felt when I was listening to it for the first time, I was in complete awe and never realised music so atmospheric and layered existed and 'Only Shallow' still to this day blows my mind. "Isn't Anything" would definately be in my top 20 for sure! I've got some of their earlier stuff too, but nothing compares to these two albums. It's great to see another MBV fan on here.

Well, I'm not sure if I deserve being called a MBV fan, because "Loveless" does nothing for me, really. It doesn't rock and there are also no songs that reach the beauty of some ballads on "Isn't Anything". It bores me... But it's true I am a fan of "Isn't Anything" and also some of their singles/EPs stuff (like "You made me realise").

revolt

And yes, you guessed right, I'm a big shoegaze fan. I'd say about 90% of my iPod is shoegaze actually.

I just remembered one thing. Do you like "Psychocandy" by The Jesus & Mary Chain? I think the seeds of the shoegaze scene are in part already there... (their second album, "Darklands", is also very good, but much more "traditional" in sound).

japanesebaby

Quote from: tigermilk on September 23, 2008, 04:30:58
I've never listened to Simple Minds other than their more popular songs, but after I've seen what you and others have said I will have to check them out!

--> http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,3438.msg56411.html#msg56411
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

tigermilk

Quote from: revolt on September 26, 2008, 11:11:35
And yes, you guessed right, I'm a big shoegaze fan. I'd say about 90% of my iPod is shoegaze actually.

I just remembered one thing. Do you like "Psychocandy" by The Jesus & Mary Chain? I think the seeds of the shoegaze scene are in part already there... (their second album, "Darklands", is also very good, but much more "traditional" in sound).

Heck yes!! "Psychocandy" is excellent and definately a classic. The distortion and fuzz was awesome, and the inspiration to many bands. The Jesus & Mary Chain had so many great songs and albums. The first song I learnt to play on guitar was "Just Like Honey", the first track from Psychocandy, I love the video too. And I like how the drummer always stood up when he played, very Velvet Underground of him!

othervoices

Today...

Surfer Rosa - Pixies
Heaven or Las Vegas - Cocteau Twins
Juju - Siouuxsie and the Banshees
Scenes from the second storey - The God Machine
Forever - Cranes
Antics - Interpol
The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space - Spiritualized
The back room - Editors
All about eve - All About Eve

revolt

Quote from: tigermilk on September 26, 2008, 18:07:01
And I like how the drummer always stood up when he played, very Velvet Underground of him!

That's Bobby Gillespie, of Primal Scream. Maybe he couldn't play the real drums properly? :-D

revolt

Quote from: tigermilk on April 03, 2008, 03:47:48
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
I remember when I first put the CD in my player and I couldn't get to the second track, I just kept repeating track 1 "Safe From Harm" over and over. I was fixated on that song. When I did finally move on I discovered more great tunes that were way ahead of their time. I also really really enjoy Portishead's Dummy album and Tricky's Maxinquaye record. For me they all go together like a great trilogy... if you own one you have to own the others too!

I agree that those 3 bands do go together, as the 3 essential trip-hop acts. But somehow I always think that the Massive Attack album that belongs together with "Dummy" and "Maxinquaye" is "Protection"... I see "Blue Lines" more as the precursor and the other 3 albums as the best examples of trip-hop at its finest hour.

By the way, do you know this:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kpfpxqlhld6e

It's a very good trip-hop album from 1995, from a band that seems to have completely vanished afterwards.

terry

no Cure albums?...no problem, i prefere much more these:

the Mission - God's own medicine
the Sisters of Mercy - First and last and always
Christian Death - catastrophe ballet
Fields of the Nephilim - the nephilim
Iron maiden- Iron Maiden
red lorry Yellow Lorry - Smashed hits
this Mortal coil - it'll end in tears
Danse Society - heaven is weaiting
Joy Division - Closer
The Cult - Love

not in special order

revolt

Quote from: terry on October 02, 2008, 15:24:33

Iron maiden- Iron Maiden
Joy Division - Closer
The Cult - Love

not in special order

Well, you couldn't possibly get more goth than that...  :-D

revolt

Quote from: revolt on October 02, 2008, 15:28:53

Iron maiden- Iron Maiden
Joy Division - Closer
The Cult - Love

not in special order

Actually, you could. There's no Bauhaus in there!  :shock:

terry

Quote from: revolt on October 02, 2008, 16:17:41
Quote from: revolt on October 02, 2008, 15:28:53

Iron maiden- Iron Maiden
Joy Division - Closer
The Cult - Love

not in special order

Actually, you could. There's no Bauhaus in there!  :shock:
places were only ten....and when i was writing Swing the Heartache...i counted 11

tigermilk

Quote from: revolt on October 02, 2008, 13:37:16

I agree that those 3 bands do go together, as the 3 essential trip-hop acts. But somehow I always think that the Massive Attack album that belongs together with "Dummy" and "Maxinquaye" is "Protection"... I see "Blue Lines" more as the precursor and the other 3 albums as the best examples of trip-hop at its finest hour.

By the way, do you know this:
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kpfpxqlhld6e
It's a very good trip-hop album from 1995, from a band that seems to have completely vanished afterwards.

I can see where you are coming from, but personally I never really enjoyed Protection (yes, I realise I'm one of the very few! haha) But I couldn't get into the title track or a couple of other songs on there. I actually prefer Mezzanine over Protection. But all in all, it's still a good record, but anyting with Safe From Harm and Unfinished Sympathy is a classic for me! :) I haven't heard of the band in the link you posted, I will have to check them out, thanks for the recommendation!!

revolt

Quote from: tigermilk on October 03, 2008, 04:19:42
but anyting with Safe From Harm and Unfinished Sympathy is a classic for me! :)

Well,those 2 are classics, indeed. Anyway, i didnĀ“t mean to diminish the importance or quality of "Blue Lines". I actually rate Massive Attack's first 3 albums just about the same. The thing I meant is that "Blue Lines" is somewhat different from "classic" trip-hop: quite a few songs have more of a groove / soul-jazz influence in them, they are also often quite mid-tempo, whereas trip-hop, by rule, is SLOW.