2023.11.22 Lima - Estadio UNMSM (Peru)

Started by dsanchez, June 26, 2023, 14:54:09

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Quote from: dsanchez on November 13, 2023, 22:23:33As you know, The Cure's show was moved to another venue because of the Peru - Venezuela match for the World Cup 2026 Qualifiers to be held at the Estadio Nacional.

Although the match is very soon (in nearly a week) tickets are NOT YET on sale! We expect them to be put for sale by Wednesday 15th November. If you are coming to Lima for the first time, attending a football match, specially from the Eliminatorias (Qualifiers) is highly recommended. Tickets will go on sale in the Joinus site and I strongly suggest you to open account there if you are interested in this event: https://www.joinnus.com/

WARNING: Please be aware that is extremely difficult to get tickets to see a match of the Peruvian National Team as the demand is very high, so they sell out very quick!

Tickets go on sale today 15th November at 09:00 (local time). Max 2 tickets per person https://prime.joinnus.com/fpf
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

https://www.cure-concerts.de/concerts/2023-11-22.php
2023-11-22 Lima - Estadio de la Universidad Nacional Mayor San Marcos (Peru)

Alone, Pictures of You, High, A Night Like This, Lovesong, And Nothing Is Forever, Burn, Fascination Street, Kyoto Song, Push, In Between Days, Just Like Heaven, At Night, Play for Today, A Forest, Shake Dog Shake, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, Endsong

It Can Never Be the Same, Want, Charlotte Sometimes, Plainsong, Disintegration

Lullaby, The Walk, Friday I'm In Love, Close to Me, Why Can't I Be You?, Boys Don't Cry
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Ulrich

dsanchez

Just came back from my South American trip...reviews and more coming this week, so many things to catch up at work etc.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Ulrich

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on December 28, 2023, 09:26:00
Quote from: dsanchez on December 12, 2023, 11:49:55coming this week
Which week is that? Or even: which year? :-D  ;)

I am such a Curefan, that I start to behave like Robert, LOL. Will be posting this befor THIS year ends!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

The last show in Peru
By David Sanchez

The Cure's last show in Peru was a memorable event, concluding a series of shows on North American soil that continued the 'Shows of a Lost World' tour initiated in Europe in 2022. Similar to their 2007/2008 tour, the band hit the road before releasing a new album. While I've had the privilege of seeing them several times in Europe, catching them in my hometown is always special.

Originally, my plan was to attend the North American tour. Fortunately, Ticketmaster's issues made me quickly forget that idea. I informed everyone that I was no longer considering a visit to the US. Instead, I set my sights on South America, convinced that The Cure would announce a tour there, especially considering it had been a decade since their last visit.

My prediction was accurate, and the band confirmed a South American tour with a show at Lima's National Stadium, the same venue as their first visit. The tour also included a first-time visit to Uruguay.

In June of this year, I met fellow Curehead @Jojo denovan at a Slowdive show in Exeter, England. Persuading Jojo to come to Peru, as neither of us could make it to the North American tour, didn't take long.

A few weeks before the concert (scheduled for November 22nd) the venue had to be changed to the San Marcos Stadium (San Marcos is the oldest University in the Americas). This was due to a football match between Peru and Venezuela on November 21st, valid for the FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers. In unfortunate news, Roger O'Donnell announced he wouldn't participate in the tour due to health issues. The Cure introduced Mike Lord, one of the band's roadies, as his replacement.

Time flew, and suddenly I found myself flying from Amsterdam to Lima on KLM. After a 12-hour flight, I arrived at Jorge Chavez's airport, welcomed by my family. The trip went by quickly. Fans in Lima were curious about the band's whereabouts, and we discovered they were staying at the same hotel as last time, a charming hotel by the sea in Miraflores, an exclusive area in Lima.

On Monday, the 20th, we had a fan meeting with local and international fans, including attendees from the US, Canada, and Scotland (Jojo). We enjoyed 'Pollo a la Brasa,' a traditional Peruvian meal. After dinner, we headed to a bar, had a few Pisco Sours (the national drink in Peru) and other cocktails, and then went to the band's hotel around midnight, hoping they would arrive from Mexico. Unfortunately, they didn't.
On Tuesday, Jojo and I attended the Peru-Venezuela match at the National Stadium, which proved to be an incredible experience for my Scottish friend. Afterward, we headed to the band's hotel in Miraflores and waited until nearly 01:00 AM. The band arrived in a white van, and we could see Robert, Simon, and the others entering the hotel. One member of the crew told us they were too tired and were going straight to sleep, but he informed us that Robert planned to go out to sign autographs on Thursday morning, the day after the show.
And just like that, Wednesday arrived. I met Jojo in the queue along with other Curefans. It was a sunny day in Lima (a city where it never rains), and several street vendors were selling all sorts of unofficial Cure merchandise - "Funkos," t-shirts, caps, keyrings, you name it. You could also buy a spot in the queue for as little as 10 Soles (EUR 2.5) from some people. In fact, I know some international fans who had people queuing for them to secure a front-row spot.
Around 16:00, the doors opened. Entering the venue went smoothly, and we found a nice spot about 10 meters from the stage, right in the center. Fans from neighboring countries like Ecuador, who made the trip to Lima, added to the diverse crowd. Near me was Leo Push, a well-known Curefan in Peru who recently participated in a talent show imitating Robert Smith. We had a video call with him, Jojo, and @CureFanDoc to report on the atmosphere before the band's show.

Three bands opened for The Cure: the local bands Catervas and Resplandor (who also opened in 2013) and the Irish band Just Mustard, selected by The Cure to support the South American Tour. Personally, I found myself captivated by Just Mustard's performance. Their musical fusion, reminiscent of Slowdive and Cranes, demands your undivided attention. Their sonic journey is an immersive experience that truly hypnotizes you.

The Cure took the stage with English punctuality. At around 20:25, you could hear the 'rain' that precedes 'Alone,' and shortly afterward, each member entered the stage one by one, with Robert at the end. As he has been accustomed to, he wore a different t-shirt for every concert, this time featuring a Nazca Line, an ancient Peruvian culture, representing a cat.

I was surprised to see many empty spaces at the stadium. However, this was explained by seeing many(!) people arriving as The Cure started to play. With the concert being held on a weekday and Lima being one of the world's worst cities for traffic, many people rushed after work to the venue. When the band started to play, I think the stadium was 60% full. However, as the concert progressed, this number increased, and I believe the concert had an 80% attendance from the planned capacity, or around 25,000 people.

There's not much to comment on the concert setlist, of course. After a long European and North American tour, there was little change to expect in the South American leg. All I can say is the band sounded wonderful - don't they always? - and Robert's voice is as good as ever. Lima was blessed with 29 concerts (only Sao Paulo had the same number; other cities had 28 or 27). Highlights for me were 'Charlotte Sometimes' and 'At Night.' I loved when Robert said something like "We didn't play this last time we were here" and proceeded to play "Kyoto Song," which they didn't play back in 2013.

Phone flashlights were shown during the beautiful "It Can Never Be The Same," and as anywhere in the world, people enjoyed the 'pop songs.' In my opinion, there were too many people holding phones during the concert, not a great trend nowadays. Every time I see this, 'Play For Today' from the Orange concert comes to my mind, and how people danced as the band played.

The Cure concluded the show with 'Boys Don't Cry,' perhaps the band's most known song. Robert Smith bid farewell to the audience with a "It was f*cking great, see you again. Thank you!" However, despite my wish for this to be true, I doubt it will happen. The band rarely comes to South America, and the next time will probably be with Robert and the gang in their 70s. In fact, the concert in Lima itself was advertised as 'the last concert,' even though this was probably for marketing reasons.

P.S. We went back on Thursday morning to the band's hotel. Everyone went straight to the van and Simon just went out for a few seconds to sign a few autographs, then, they left. This time there was not a long signature session as in 2013. In the photo below, this fan from Bolivia holding a Rob had taken an 18-hour bus ride from Bolivia to come to Peru for the show.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Excellent write-up & you (just) posted it in 2023! THANK YOU!  :smth023

MeltingMan

Quote from: dsanchezIn the photo below, this fan from Bolivia holding a Rob had taken an 18-hour bus ride from Bolivia to come to Peru for the show.

:o  :smth023

Quote from: dsanchezAs he has been accustomed to, he wore a different t-shirt for every concert, this time featuring a Nazca line, an ancient Peruvian culture, representing a cat.

I know there is an own thread for it, but can you go into it again later? Thank you.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)