The Hubble Deep Field: The Most Important Image Ever Taken

Started by japanesebaby, September 24, 2008, 21:17:52

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

the hubble deep field: the most important image ever taken

In 2003, the Hubble Space Telescope took the image of a millenium, an image that shows our place in the universe.

Anyone who understands what this image represents, is forever changed by it.

(Dedicated to Carl Sagan)

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 24, 2008, 21:17:52

In 2003, the Hubble Space Telescope took the image of a millenium, an image that shows our place in the universe.

Anyone who understands what this image represents, is forever changed by it.

(Dedicated to Carl Sagan)

Well, I wasn't changed... I've always known that we are but a speck of dust in the universe.  :-D

The soundtrack to that video is far from good, though.  :roll:
Something like this would have been much better:

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=z7c8Uxpypgw

melly

thanks JB, I thoroughly enjoyed that... and it makes you think...so many galaxies, there's got to be more inhabited planets than earth? doesn't there?
good one..   :smth023
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 24, 2008, 21:17:52

thanks for sharing the video, baby.

the hubble also took a picture of something called "pilars of creation" (see below). When I saw your topic it came to my mind right away this awesome picture in the frontpage of a book of the Watch Tower Bible (a friend of mine belongs
there).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Nebula

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on September 26, 2008, 11:08:42
Well, I wasn't changed... I've always known that we are but a speck of dust in the universe.  :-D

of course. but one can be changed (=touched) by it again and again, just by looking at it and letting it put things into right perspective for you, whenever you need it... like mr smith said in a quote i posted elsewhere on the forum: "it's like icy cold water flowing through your brain."
i think that was what it meant...
we all know that we're just a speck of dust here. but still the image can touch us - again and again.

hmm i already guessed someone would complain about the music (which was bad indeed), yet i was silently hoping we could perhaps not to focus on that detail but to the main subject.
but it's bad, sure it is.

japanesebaby

"When I consider the small span of my life absorbed in the eternity of all time, or the small part of space which I can touch or see engulfed by the infinite immensity of spaces that I know not and that know me not, I am frightened and astonished to see myself here instead of there...and now instead of then."
-Pascal

Note: Go out tonight and hold up two crossed sewing pins at arms length against the night sky. The area covered by the intersection of the pins is equivalent to what is imaged in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field Photo. In what direction? In any direction. Remember, what you are looking at is not stars, but galaxies -- each galaxy containing hundreds of billions of stars. Infinite? Does it matter?
http://www.sciencemusings.com/blog/2007/10/to-infinity-and-beyond.html

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 26, 2008, 13:28:12

hmm i already guessed someone would complain about the music (which was bad indeed), yet i was silently hoping we could perhaps not to focus on that detail but to the main subject.

Well, this a music forum, what did you expect?  ;) Music is always on our minds, one way or the other...

nausearockpig

that was f*cking cool. I'm gonna look around the net for those images in the coming days..

amazing.

revolt

I don't think we will ever be able to wholly grasp the concept of infinity... Because our minds are limited, after all. It's something that by its own nature lies beyond our reach. We can only have a glimpse of its meaning indirectly, like we can only look at the sun indirectly - trying to see it with the naked eye would only blind us.

One indirect way of perceiving the concept of infinity would be that of the Dyonisian experiences (those I mentioned sometime ago - about "Bolero", I think).

One more specific way of perceiving it could be through music... It was not by accident that I posted here that You Tube link to Brian Eno's "Star". That music is one of the best ways I know of "feeling" what infinity means. I really think that "feeling" is the best we can achieve in this respect - merely intelectual understanding of this concept is not possible, in my opinion.

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on September 26, 2008, 15:49:46
I really think that "feeling" is the best we can achieve in this respect - merely intelectual understanding of this concept is not possible, in my opinion.

certainly. it's not about some intellectual interpretation that i might draw from it that overtakes me when i look at that deep sky image. it's the feeling i get, that makes it all matter. that's why mere numbers mean nothing (like was pointed out in the video too). you have to find a way to "feel the numbers". looking at that image and realizing what's in it is one way.
(and that kind of feeling is always passing through you and it never stays, never lets you stay in it, never lets you stop it and really grasp it. it flows. just like time - and just like music.)

dsanchez

are you kidding? "Shine on your crazy diamond" from Pink Floyd couldnt be better! and it does not come to suprise that the video's author used Pink Floyd as audio background: PF music have been actually played in the space!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo