Did God create all this?

Do you believe in God?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

revolt

Quote from: dsanchez on September 26, 2008, 12:02:20
Did God create all this?

Do you believe in God?

Well, I think the fact that humanity exists is in itself a proof that God does not exist... An all-knowing all-powerful being would never create such a miserable thing as humanity.

japanesebaby

Did God create all this?

i find it almost somehow demeaning/degrading that people feel the need to "explain" things with god all the time. when they see something beautiful, something that touches them, then "it must have been god's work". why? like it somehow became greater and more meaningful that way? well, it doesn't. things can be absolutely beautiful and touching just as they are, without any explanation.

i'm really very deeply touched by that deep space image. but i don't need to explain it with anything, to make it "mean" something for me. for me the beauty of the universe is in itself, the marvel of it, the miracle of it is in itself. for me that is the biggest miracle of all - and that's a miracle much greater and much more true than the concept of "god".

like said elsewhere, god is just a mirror that humans put up for themselves, so that they can make themselves feel a bit better while watching their own reflection being immortalized and glorified there and thus marveling themselves.
man was created as god's image? hmm, or perhaps it was completely the other way round.

so let us not taint the beauty and the miracle of the hubble's deep sky revelation by subordinating it under god... 

Do you believe in God?

no.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Tof

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 26, 2008, 13:20:05
Did God create all this?

i find it almost somehow demeaning/degrading that people feel the need to "explain" things with god all the time. when they see something beautiful, something that touches them, then "it must have been god's work". why? like it somehow became greater and more meaningful that way? well, it doesn't. things can be absolutely beautiful and touching just as they are, without any explanation.

i'm really very deeply touched by that deep space image. but i don't need to explain it with anything, to make it "mean" something for me. for me the beauty of the universe is in itself, the marvel of it, the miracle of it is in itself. for me that is the biggest miracle of all - and that's a miracle much greater and much more true than the concept of "god".

like said elsewhere, god is just a mirror that humans put up for themselves, so that they can make themselves feel a bit better while watching their own reflection being immortalized and glorified there and thus marveling themselves.
man was created as god's image? hmm, or perhaps it was completely the other way round.

so let us not taint the beauty and the miracle of the hubble's deep sky revelation by subordinating it under god... 

Do you believe in God?

no.

Well say Japenesebaby !!! idem for me NO !!!

Do you think god do what's happened in Finland ???  :roll:

Tof

dsanchez

i find it almost somehow demeaning/degrading that people feel the need to "explain" things with god all the time. when they see something beautiful, something that touches them, then "it must have been god's work". why?

I agree! by the way my question was because when you posted that awesome video about the Universe I was just reading a book "Does exist a Creator who cares for us?" trying to explain those awesome things can't be anything else but God's job (and also because a conversation with a curefan member)

http://www.amazon.com/There-Creator-Who-Cares-About/dp/B000I16OCO

Not that I personally believe in God, to be honest! I believe there's a supreme force all above us, but I don't know if this "force" created the Universe and all that.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Interesting comment. If I didn't know you, I would think you were the director of this AWESOME movie everyone MUST watch (free access in google video)

This documentary(*) is really a MUST:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8883910961351786332&q=source:011050710098839188337&hl=es

(check from 8:11)

(*)Zeitgeist: The Movie - Documentary about a) the origin of christian faith b) how american banks have seized worldpower at the beginning of the 20th century c) how these 2 items are related to the wars fought in the 20th and 21st century.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

mint car

[i]...sleep sweet child the moon will change your mind...[/i]

Janko

Quote from: dsanchez on September 26, 2008, 18:09:12
Zeitgeist: The Movie
Documentary about a) the origin of christian faith b) how american banks have seized worldpower at the beginning of the 20th century c) how these 2 items are related to the wars fought in the 20th and 21st century.

This movie is really stunningly effective!

But I don't believe a word...
It's just for the fans of conspiracy theories.
And plenty of the stuff in it is really offensive.

I believe in God.

Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason