"Cured" The Movie

Started by dsanchez, November 11, 2019, 12:22:40

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

If there was a movie about The Cure based on "Cured", what actors do you imagine playing The Cure members up to the Disintegration era?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: undefined# Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.

Tennis players? Nina Hagen?

Trolling is not allowed on this forum, this applies to everyone, no exceptions. The question was a genuine one based on "Cured". If you have no meaningful input to give then just ignore this topic. Plus I don't see what could be wrong with a Cure movie. For reference, Joy Division's "Control" was pretty good:

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Definiton of "spam" for you:

Quote from: undefinedirrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to a large number of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc.

Definiton of "trolling" for you:
Quote from: undefinedmaking random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument

Can't see how this applies here. (This post can be deleted after reading, as it is irrevelant indeed...)

It was clearly marked  as "fun(ny)" by using the fitting smileys!! e.g. ->  :winking_tongue 
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

SueC

Suggesting that Taylor Fritz has similar facial features to Robert Smith is not in any way, shape or form trolling - in either direction - his or Robert Smith's.  "Tennis players"???   Also human beings, just like musicians, plumbers, teachers, nurses, or any other occupation.  And some of them even play guitar, and well!  Many people aren't one-trick ponies.

None of the comments I've made were disrespectful or constituted trolling (people of similar appearance were duly produced and any negative judgement of those people is your own), and I don't see that in the post before mine either - that was clearly a humorous post, no malice intended.  Re Nina Hagen, it's not unheard of in acting for women to play men and vice versa, such as our Cate Blanchett playing Bob Dylan in a biopic.  Given that members of The Cure have been gender-bending / cross-dressing etc as part of their public profile, I don't see why it's supposed to be offensive, even to them, to suggest that a person in cross-dress could play one of them.

If the reaction to genuine participation in a thread like this is "you're trolling" then that seems very unfriendly, and it rather discourages one from participating.
SueC is time travelling

word_on_a_wing

Quote from: dsanchez on November 12, 2019, 10:26:48If you have no meaningful input to give then just ignore this topic.

Why don't we all ignore this topic as to be honest it's a crap one. It's a topic that feels pretty tasteless to me, reminds me of cheap gossip.  Any all suggestions to me feel wrong ...from Ben Affleck to Sylvester Stallone, to ...what the f*ck is this topic 🤮

"Plus I don't see what could be wrong with a Cure movie. For reference, Joy Division's "Control" was pretty good"
Agreed, and I think what worked for me is I wasn't familiar with any of the actors when I saw it.  Actors who are relatively unknown would be the only way it could work in my opinion.
Example... can anyone watch The Doors film without noticing "oh there's Val Kilmer" "and Kyle McLaughlin", "and Meg Ryan". It completely ruined it imo, would have much preferred actors I don't otherwise know, then my mind can more easily recognise "there's Jim! And Ray! And Pamela!"
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

Ulrich

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on November 12, 2019, 12:07:48Any all suggestions to me feel wrong ...
Actors who are relatively unknown would be the only way it could work in my opinion.

Well, for starters they would have to look similar to the persons they depict. Which is why I had no "real" suggestions, just a few "fun" ones (however, they were no random choices, I did think about it).

dsanchez

Quote from: SueC on November 12, 2019, 11:31:19Suggesting that Taylor Fritz has similar facial features to Robert Smith is not in any way, shape or form trolling

My comment was addressed 99% to the previous post, hence why it was removed. It went totally off-topic and was more trolling than anything else.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on November 12, 2019, 12:36:36My comment was addressed 99% to the previous post, hence why it was removed. It went totally off-topic and was more trolling than anything else.

No, it was actually "on-topic", real actors were named (although of course, in an ironic and sarcastic way).

You might not've found it funny, but it was not meant as trolling in any way.

As Sue already said:
Quotethat was clearly a humorous post, no malice intended.

However, I agree it's better to delete, because if you have to force the humour down somebody's throat, it's pretty useless.

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

SueC

It's really refreshing to see people apologising and smoothing things over in this modern world, especially on the internet!   :smth023

I don't think anyone meant to upset anyone else here, and I think it would be so much easier around a table with some coffee and nice pastries, everyone being able to see each other's faces and people able to laugh and pretend-thump each other when there's extra-naughty humour going on.  :beaming-face

It's not necessarily a bad topic - and it can be fun to imagine various different people for playing a role.  I sort of related to what @Ulrich said about not watching such a film, not sure if for the same reasons.  I enjoy people's stories when told by themselves, but feel a bit uncomfortable about people's life stories appearing in film... it's so difficult to make a realistic portrait, and so easy to produce a distortion.  I prefer reading books / interviews on this topic, preferably first-person accounts.  They won't be totally realistic either, because none of us are perfect in recall or honesty, but at least if you're reading several different points of view, e.g. several accounts of being in the same band / workplace / situation / whatever, you're getting a more complete picture, and an awareness of the grey areas - and not just some movie maker's overall take substituted for reality.

For some reason though, I don't mind watching films about the stories of people who lived a long time ago, like the Brontës - of course, similar problems there.  Perhaps it's because I like the visual reconstruction of historical periods I've not experienced personally.

I don't think I would go watch a biopic about The Cure, or any other band.  I'd rather watch their concerts, or a period piece from before my time.

And I don't think anyone who enjoys biopics on present-day people needs to have their enjoyment impaired because some people don't!  :cool

I hope that was sufficiently on-topic for everyone.  :)  And I'm interested in what other people think.  It's pretty amazing to be able to have a conversation with people from all sorts of different places on the planet, just by typing away.  Even if it's without coffee and pastries and all around a table!  I hope everyone has a decent day.  :smth023
SueC is time travelling

dsanchez

I like this choice:
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Update from Lol:

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo