I've converted the mp3's to FLAC is that alright?

Started by Poe, May 15, 2008, 19:27:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Poe

Okay, I've converted the mp3's to FLAC and uploaded the zip files to rapidshare, is that alright or have I wasted my bloody time?! 'Twas educating anyway. Don't know that much at all about lossless formats; I'm learning, damn it!  8)
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

japanesebaby

Quote from: Poe on May 15, 2008, 19:27:46
Okay, I've converted the mp3's to FLAC and uploaded the zip files to rapidshare, is that alright or have I wasted my bloody time?! 'Twas educating anyway. Don't know that much at all about lossless formats; I'm learning, damn it!  8)

sorry poe but that's pretty much the worst thing you can do: please, NEVER convert lossy sources like mp3s to flac/other lossless format!
look: once lossy, always lossy. meaning that lossy/compressed files don't magically become lossless anymore.

mp3s are lossy which means part of the original sound has really been hacked off and thrown away during the compression process - lossy files are missing part of the sound spectrum and you just can't magically recover that part out of somewhere ever again, once it's been compressed. if you convert mp3s to flac you only "balloon" the files into crappy "fake lossless" files which are worth even less than the original mp3s.
true lossless source means sources that have never been compressed. that's the kind of source you need to have.

we don't need "fake lossless" (=mp3s ballooned to flacs) circulating. they are a plague and they will only piss off  a lot of traders and collectors out there.

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Poe

Yeah, I suspected that would be the case. Shows what I know.  :roll: Oh well.

dsanchez

Quote from: Poe on May 15, 2008, 20:41:16
Yeah, I suspected that would be the case. Shows what I know.  :roll: Oh well.

No need to be sorry Poe, we're all here to learn.

Just be careful to not pass that rapidshare link with the "flac" files to anybody because, as it was written before, when you convert something lossy to loseless, the audio become worst.

I pass you the link to Wikipedia Audio compression article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_data_compression

Feel free to ask any question :smth023

ps: I am moving this to the technical section

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Poe

Quote from: dsanchez on May 15, 2008, 21:03:39

I pass you the link to Wikipedia Audio compression article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_data_compression

I'm learning, yay!  :-D Haven't shared the FLAC files with anyone, it'll be my dark little secret...

Thanks for helping, you must have been through this quite a few times already...

lostflower4

Can't believe I missed this.

But yeah, converting lossy to "lossless" is worse than using the original lossy file.

You just end up having a bigger version of the lossy file and people will think it's really lossless.

No point in that (unless you're trying to scam someone in a trade).  :eek: