[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

scatcat

yes, a beautifully written book: impossible to put down until the end...
and always wanting more from Penelope Farmer..

:smth023  the song, the book, resonates .... 'Charlotte Sometimes' is my most favourite song.. and I adore the book. I love to read it over and over again!

:smth020

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

NeverForget

I agree with you, it's an amazing book.

Got it a few weeks ago (from amazon, there are still some copies left, if you're serching for somewhere to buy it). As some of you said, I couldn't put it down until the very end!
It is supposed to be a book for children, but I think the ideas it suggests are incredible. Although it is not a masterpiece of the genre, since while reading somehow I felt that something was missing (but goes very close to that point, imho), there are so many incredible points that allow you to think on what makes an identity, on a mind alienated from its usual environment and how differently it can develop in such strage situation...and that's only one of the themes you can find in that book.

I felt that Robert was terribly inspirated by this book, and it seems true, as Penelope Farmer states in her blog, in the link LuvU has posted in this thread.

And, yes, there's a line that states: "stiff as toys but tall as men", and it is a description of a nightmare Charlotte had, or maybe that has not been a nightmare, who knows...

STILL RAINING STILL DREAMING...

"no-one will ever take your place
I am lost in you
no-one will ever take your place
so in love with you..."

nadia-domingos

Have you read the book Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer?

I have. It is pretty and sad. I love it.It made me cry :smth049

:smth061
We all look so perfect as we all fall down...

japanesebaby

Quote from: nadia-domingos on March 31, 2009, 17:58:14
Have you read the book Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer?

I have. It is pretty and sad. I love it.It made me cry :smth049

:smth061

there's a thread for the book here, have a look:
http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,4284.0.html

*edit: topics merged.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

~*CherryRed*~

Just stumbled upon this topic! I have a copy and read it every now and then... (in between looking for new books to buy!!) The first time I read it I was immediately struck with the similarities to the song, some of the lyrics are taken right outta the book... and the video is very appropriate. I was interested to read someones take on the book as Charlotte being mentally disturbed (?) I forget whom said that - but I had never thought about it that way. Interesting.  :smth023
"prone to flights of whimsy"

Cure

[b]floating here like this with you
underneath the stars
alight for 13 billion years
the view is beautiful
and ours alone tonight
underneath the stars
[/b]

scatcat

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on April 23, 2009, 07:05:30
Just stumbled upon this topic! I have a copy and read it every now and then... (in between looking for new books to buy!!) The first time I read it I was immediately struck with the similarities to the song, some of the lyrics are taken right outta the book... and the video is very appropriate. I was interested to read someones take on the book as Charlotte being mentally disturbed (?) I forget whom said that - but I had never thought about it that way. Interesting.  :smth023

hey there Cherry.. I think on the 'blurb.. or introduction somewhere I read this. I may have mentioned it, although upon reading this book, it is apparent that the main character is not 'mentally disturbed' , although it is still questionable and it is up there for discussion ( being a fictional book ) , I came to the conclusion through the book, which, although it seems quite simple reading, found this book quite multidimensional, leaving open to interpretation, about the main characters and their personal journeys.. ( I don't want to give too much away, or influence potential readers out there!!)

:smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

skellington

I heard there was a video for this song (although some say it isnt good) I have not seen it and have looked on Youtube for it but found nothing. Can anyone help me find the video for this amazing Cure song? :smth100 I also look forward to reading this book. :-D
Its Just Like a Dream...:)

dsanchez

Quote from: skellington on February 11, 2010, 03:54:04
I heard there was a video for this song (although some say it isnt good) I have not seen it and have looked on Youtube for it but found nothing.

I was surprised to read that you didn't find the video in YouTube, but it's true, they took it away :?

Anyway, hopefully there's dailymotion :P

The Cure - Charlotte SometimesTry our new player
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

skellington

wow thanks for the link. :-D I actually liked the video. Although I think the Cure should have had a bigger role instead of standing there like stalkers. It was very artistic. Thank you so much! :smth023

skellington

I just borrowed the book from my library. Plan to start reading it over the long weekend! :-D