Best "rare" song

Started by TheExplodingBoy, December 05, 2005, 06:33:05

Previous topic - Next topic

tigermilk

Quote from: sues777 on February 15, 2008, 23:25:04

Hey tigermilk - can I ask where you found it?  I've heard a lot about this track but haven't managed to find it...

Check out Spilt Milk and others here. Don't unzip the files, you just need to rename them as mp3s.

Hopefully it works for you  :smth023

http://www.crwebsites.com/cure/audio.html

Enjoy :smth020

sues777

Quote from: tigermilk on February 16, 2008, 01:27:06

Check out Spilt Milk and others here. Don't unzip the files, you just need to rename them as mp3s.

Hopefully it works for you  :smth023

http://www.crwebsites.com/cure/audio.html

Enjoy :smth020

Thankyou very much for the link tigermilk!!
The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know the less we show

sonic

I always loved Too The Sky. I've heard it on the radio back in 1987. I wrote to the radio station including a tape and they really returned it with Too The Sky on it. That was a real rarity back then. Apart from that I like the "yellow" version of Primary. It much better, that Primary itself. Also the slow version of Killing An Arab is nice. And of course Forever
----------My Cure Shows-------------
-Hamburg 87-Hamburg 89-Konstanz 89--
-Leipzig 90-Hamburg 92-Werchter 95--
Hamburg 96-Hildesheim 98-Hamburg 00-
--Berlin 00-Hamburg 00-Roskilde 01--
-Hamburg 02-Berlin 02-Scheessel 04--
-Berlin 05-Hamburg 08-Oberhausen 08-

tigermilk

Quote from: sonic on February 19, 2008, 13:52:59
the "yellow" version of Primary

nice song. i can listen to this over and over again  :smth020

Rickenbacker4003

'This Twilight Garden' is one of the all time best Cure songs in general and a crime that it was not on Wish.  'The Big Hand' as well.  But 'Forever' and 'All Mine' are great songs too that probably would only sound good on stage, never in a studio.  What makes those versions so good is the guitar effect, improvisation of lyrics and to me, the echo delay on the guitar, bass, primal drumming and voice.  It just makes it sound more eerie and in a way "demented".  'It Used To Be Me' is my favorite song from the WMS era.  'Sadacic' is a good tune too.  Oh well, I listed too many  :smth023
"You're dying for the hope is gone, from here we go nowhere again."

revolt

Well, I vote for "Carnage Visors", if that counts as a rare song. It was previously only available on the "Faith" K7 and it became more widely available only with the "Faith" deluxe edition... Anyway, it´s not that I have listened to it that many times, this instrumental song is so utterly bleak that it makes the whole "Faith" album sound like party music in comparison...

Poe

Hmm, several goodies mentioned here that I haven't heard yet. ;) I'm listening to The Three Sisters right now (unless it's a fake...):  :smth023, although I miss Rob's vocals.

Anyhow, apart from Spilt Milk, Pirate Ships and All Mine, as well as Join The Dots songs like This Twilight Garden, Waiting, To The Sky and many more, I do like Ariel. Hasn't been mentioned on this thread, very nice dreamlike, drifting-away quality to it. Too bad the only ( :?) recording available is kind of crummy.
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

japanesebaby

Quote from: Poe on June 06, 2008, 19:52:40
Too bad the only ( :?) recording available is kind of crummy.

no recording is the 'only' copy unless it's someone's master recording which the taper decided to keep completely uncirculated, and never made a copy. so if you're referring to 'ariel' from the kid jensen session '82, there are lots of version out there, sourced from different generation tapes. besides, it was an FM broadcast anyway.
of course i don't know what kind of source you have but there are some pretty crummy crap mp3 copies out there, no doubt about it.

on-topic: hard to answer this as i don't know what should qualify as "rare" here!
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Poe

Quote from: japanesebaby on June 06, 2008, 20:54:25
Quote from: Poe on June 06, 2008, 19:52:40
Too bad the only ( :?) recording available is kind of crummy.

no recording is the 'only' copy unless it's someone's master recording which the taper decided to keep completely uncirculated, and never made a copy. so if you're referring to 'ariel' from the kid jensen session '82, there are lots of version out there, sourced from different generation tapes. besides, it was an FM broadcast anyway.
of course i don't know what kind of source you have but there are some pretty crummy crap mp3 copies out there, no doubt about it.

Pardon my ignorance, ehehe...   What I meant was that I thought the broadcast sounded pretty much like the copy I have...:lol: I'll see if I can find a lossless copy.

Just listening to Ueya Sound that was mentioned earlier, from Lost Wishes. Nice, something to fall into a deep sleep to (that's a compliment!)...
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

japanesebaby

Quote from: Poe on June 06, 2008, 21:32:10
What I meant was that I thought the broadcast sounded pretty much like the copy I have...:lol:

oh i see now, sorry. i just thought i remembered there was some crappy copy going around somehwere out there until lostflower4 kindly upgraded us all some years ago:

http://curefans.com/index.php/topic,1892.0.html

it's been ages since i've listened to that so i really can't remember now how crummy or "un-crummy" this one is/was... it's somewhere though.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

KingOfSomeIsland

Lime Time (Head On The Door Deluxe) is so much fun and there are lyrics to Inbetween Days, Screw, and Six Different Ways scattered about, The demo version of A Few Hours After This is also awesome. I also love the 12" remix of Pictures of You, I actually like that version more than the album one. To the Sky is probably my favorite B-Side although thats a really tough decsion. Perfect Blue Sky is very nice too

camus

pictures of you extended (not on cd)

mint car

Quote from: TheExplodingBoy on December 05, 2005, 06:33:05
I was wondering which of The Cure's unreleased/rare songs people like the best (sideprojects/remixes included) anything obscure really.
Personally I love Pirate Ships.  It's not like a lot of other Cure songs but I like the mellow feel and the sounds of waves and seagulls in the background.
I agree with you TheExplodingBoy  ;) Pirate Ships is briliant!!! song  :smth060
[i]...sleep sweet child the moon will change your mind...[/i]

pirate ship

curemenow

My fav is World War.  Love the guitar in it.