Robert's favourite bands

Started by revolt, September 02, 2008, 17:27:17

Previous topic - Next topic

revolt

This used to be available at The Cure's old official website. I don't know if anyone has already posted here this information (if so, feel free to delete this post), but because I find it really interesting, here it goes: a list of Robert Smith's favourite musicians/bands...

and also the trees*the associates*j s bach*banco de gaia*barber*beastie boys*the beatles*be bop deluxe*beethoven*belly*frank black*black grape*borodin*david bowie*brahms*the breeders*kate bush*can*captain beefheart*chapterhouse*chopin*cocteau twins*alice cooper*elvis costello*cowboy junkies*cranes*curve*debussy*deftones*depeche mode*dinosaur jnr*nick drake*earth wind and fire*eat static*ekova*en vogue*flying neutrinos*ani di franco*future loop foundation*reeves gabrels*garbage*the god machine*alex harvey*jimi hendrix*hole*billie holiday*the human league*janis ian*the jackson five*elmore james*the jesus and mary chain*joy division*khachaturian*the kinks*anita lane*led zeppelin*liszt*nils lofgren*lush*mahler*melanie*natalie merchant*mogwai*mozart*my bloody valentine*my favourite dentist is dead*nine inch nails*nirvana*heather nova*the only ones*beth orton*astor piazzolla*pixies*placebo*the prodigy*prokofiev*the psychedelic furs*puccini*dj rap*ride*the (old!) rolling stones*roxy music*satie*schubert*the sex pistols*skunk anansie*mokhtar al said*sierra maestra*sinatra*the smashing pumpkins*sneaker pimps*strauss(es!)*sugar*supergrass*t rex*tchaikovsky*thin lizzy*suzanne vega*verdi*tom waits*muddy waters*howlin' wolf...

Carnage Visor

Hey, Robert and I have a same taste in music! Very cool, thanks for posting this.  :smth020

revolt

Quote from: Carnage Visor on September 02, 2008, 22:52:00
Hey, Robert and I have a same taste in music! Very cool, thanks for posting this.  :smth020

You like En Vogue, The Jackson Five and Earth Wind and Fire?  :shock:

Alright, just kidding.  :-D  Robert's tastes are quite eclectic, it seems, and even though there are quite a few great bands/musicians there, in various music styles, expectedly not all of his choices reveal the best taste.

One thing I find curious is that he mentions DJ Rap, which is a jungle/drum & bass deejay and producer. And she is a girl, which is far from common in the deejaying business. The curious thing is that this is the only drum & bass artist he mentions, and well, there would have been lots of better choices, I think.

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on September 03, 2008, 10:59:53
Quote from: Carnage Visor on September 02, 2008, 22:52:00

You like En Vogue, The Jackson Five and Earth Wind and Fire?  :shock:

Alright, just kidding.  :-D  Robert's tastes are quite eclectic, it seems, and even though there are quite a few great bands/musicians there, in various music styles, expectedly not all of his choices reveal the best taste.

i think that was around bloodflowers (i remember it being listed on the old verison of the official website, before the site got updated in 2004).

i think these lists mostly just tell you that here's a person who listens to a lot of music - and very many kinds of music. that's the only real conclusion i can come to, when i browse it. and therefore i find it quite imossible to say that i liked "the same kind of music" as jhe does. considering how very varied robert's "favorite music" lists alwasy were, i bet just about anyone could find a bunch of things in common with him and say "he likes the same things as i do!".

for instance, compare that list with the one found in WMS tour book his "favorite" music is:

beethoven (19), mahler (1-9), tsaikovski (ballets), allegri, prokofjev, khatchaturian, elgar, mozart (just about everything), satie, verdi... and too much more to even think about... indian, south america, ambient dub, irish...

how many "regular" cure fans would really jump and say "yeah, i like exactly the same things too!". i mean it's pretty far from what a lot of people might expect to see there. mostly only classical composers, with some random additions in the field of world music! if you tried looking ofr your "favorite bands" there... well it's funny to notice how "ambient dub" would actually be the thing closest thing to any pop/rock stuff there.... :lol:

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

revolt

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 03, 2008, 14:25:53
well it's funny to notice how "ambient dub" would actually be the thing closest thing to any pop/rock stuff there.... :lol:

Or Irish... It could mean Clannad or the Chieftains, for instance, who have recorded with Van Morrison and other famous pop/rock singers...

By the way, I wonder who "Moxart" could be...  ;)  :-D

japanesebaby

Quote from: revolt on September 03, 2008, 14:57:36
By the way, I wonder who "Moxart" could be...  ;)  :-D

here's a hint: his second name was typo.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Lady

HOLE, JACKSON FIVE?? :shock:
I would have never said it!!! :lol:

Verdi and Puccini....very good! :smth023 :-D
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

Carnage Visor

I love the Jacksons! Michael is an amazing performer!

Because of Robert, I've really gotten into Kate Bush and Nick Drake.