Sharon van Etten

Started by word_on_a_wing, December 11, 2022, 14:09:29

Previous topic - Next topic

word_on_a_wing

Hi there, hope you have all been well!

I thought I'd add a topic about Sharon van Etten. I recall there is at least 1 other person here who also likes her (Ulrich it was you right?) 

I'll detail a bit about my journey but keen to hear from others who also adore her music (and her as a person ...she seems really humble and genuine).
I only discovered her about a year ago, and 
the album Are We There was the one which hooked me.  I've been absorbing myself in her albums for months now, listening to little else, hypnotised. I find her music gets better the more i listen to it. An example of this is the album Epic which i didnt really like initially, but now I am in love with this album so much.
She released a new album recently, and has been touring. I went to the two shows in Northcote (Victoria), and it was incredible. I wish i had better camera equipment to share some footage, but will share a few photos i took (front row on night 1, and balcony on night 2). On the second night Brandon Flowers (the Killers) made a surprise appearance. His bandmate was also there and posted some videos on Instagram (i'll post link below). I wish there were more good quality videos: such as her performance of Born (which closes the main set)...stunning.

Gosh i love her music so much .... soulful, heart-opening, painful but joyous.
Anyway i'll stop gushing and just post a few things
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

word_on_a_wing

word_on_a_wing

dsanchez

Never heard of her, however by looking at her Wikipedia article I realized I have seen her, as she appeared in The OA (one of my favorite series ever). Will definitely listen to her and report back!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

word_on_a_wing

Yes that was her in the OA. I didn't know who she was back then.

Her music ranges quite a bit, from soft folk, to more alternative Industrial sounding stuff.
Headspace, Mistakes, Beaten Down, Seventeen, Jupiter 4, Comeback Kid, and Peace signs are all more alternative heavier great ones to try.
Everytime the Sun Comes Up and Tarifa are crackers too

Ulrich

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on December 11, 2022, 14:09:29I thought I'd add a topic about Sharon van Etten. I recall there is at least 1 other person here who also likes her (Ulrich it was you right?) 

Yes, it was me. First I heard her was in Twin Peaks (the new "season" broadcast in 2017)! I got myself a few (but not all) of her albums. I enjoyed "Are we there", but I gave the cd to my niece, as I thought she would like it (she never returned it, so I guess she did)! The new one is very good, I've listened to it over summer & autumn. (Plus I shared a few songs here on CF, so you might've heard her before, dsanchez!)

I saw her tour dates and a few of her posts on FB, in fact I'd wondered whether some of our members from "down under" went to any of the shows. Glad to hear you did - thanks for the report & photos!!  :smth023
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

word_on_a_wing

Ulrich, glad to hear you also like Sharon. Yes that is a great album. It was my starting point, so hopefully is same for your niece. Yes the new album is great. Have you heard the bonus tracks too (Used To It, Porta, When I Die, Never Gonna Change)...they are all great too. Used To It is one of my favourites of hers.

Sharon seems very underrated, and whenever i mention her to people (eg about going to the concert) no one seems to know her. It blows my mind given she is such an amazing artist. Hopefully she gets the recognition she deserves.

Ulrich

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on December 12, 2022, 10:07:38Sharon seems very underrated, and whenever i mention her to people (eg about going to the concert) no one seems to know her.

Well sometimes I like it that way. When too many "mainstream" listeners do like an artist, it is suspicious to me.  ;)

But I think Sharon is doing quite well, the performance of "Tarifa" in the "roadhouse" in Twin Peaks has helped a lot. (It was one of my fave music pieces there - and there were a lot!)
Sadly I missed her German tour dates. Next time hopefully.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...