What's On Your Mind Atm??

Started by PearlThompsonsBloodflower, January 03, 2018, 22:52:40

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

🍂 END OF SUMMER FN CURVE SETS 🍂

3:33 I also like it best. The whole hype about G*cc* was not normal, right? But at least they have the matching shoes! 😉

PS: Two videos within 48 hours! You spoil us, Fiorella. By the way, I find the buildings in the background interesting. The design alone appeals to me. I look forward to the 'new' bedroom. This is ash-blonde?! Great color for the autumn. 👌🏻
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

MeltingMan

SueC

Have you ordered one, @MeltingMan:winking_tongue

I've got to admit, it has way more style than the originals! :)
SueC is time travelling

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

Thinking about how Alison MacInnis knows I exist.

MeltingMan

Quote from: SueC on September 15, 2019, 03:19:52Have you ordered one, @MeltingMan:winking_tongue 

No I haven't (yet). I'm afraid the dolls will be sold out soon. Collectors pay record prices. I find the costumes and the theme itself inspiring. 😉

MeltingMan

SueC

Quote from: PearlThompsonsBloodflowers on September 15, 2019, 13:11:41Awesome!! I am learning German. Deutsch lernen!!

In which case, let me introduce you to compound nouns - one of the treasures of the German language.  In English, we sort of have some duplex compound nouns like henhouse.  In German, you can make these combinations any length you like, and even invent new words by stringing together existing nouns.  Here's a little German compound noun to illustrate this concept:

Donaudampferschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsmützenstern!

= the star on the hat of the captain of a steamship owned by the Danube shipping company

:)
SueC is time travelling

SueC

Quote from: MeltingMan on September 15, 2019, 10:47:00
Quote from: SueC on September 15, 2019, 03:19:52Have you ordered one, @MeltingMan:winking_tongue 

No I haven't (yet). I'm afraid the dolls will be sold out soon. Collectors pay record prices. I find the costumes and the theme itself inspiring. 😉

It's lovely art and a fascinating tradition, and honestly the only Barbie I've ever seen that doesn't make me want to throw up!  I wouldn't be against owning one myself, in theory.

Barbies generally are so unnatural and so not anatomically correct that they can confuse young children.  When I was six, someone gave me a Barbie doll.  When I tried to change its clothes, I saw that it had these huge protuberances on its chest, like camel humps (but obviously not woolly). Blank all the way across because as I said, these dolls are not anatomically correct - no areola or anything like that to give you a clue that those things were actually supposed to be there, never mind that they were so proportionally huge that it didn't occur to me that they were breasts.  I thought maybe she had a disease.  So, I decided to remove her disease with scissors.  This left two huge holes in her plastic chest that made me cry. But, when I dressed her again, she was much improved in appearance because much more like normal people (whatever that is) - and she was still smiling.  :)
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

Quote from: SueCBarbies generally are so unnatural(...)

Yes, I agree. They look like little mannequins, and that on purpose. And yet the clothing industry has "measured" men and women again.
I would say that countries like Thailand or even Mexico are more attentive to their dead. In Germany the funeral system is subject to a radical change. Mainly because earth burials are too expensive, etc. This old tradition, on the other hand, is remarkable and respectful.

Quote from: SueCSo, I decided to remove her disease with scissors.

😬😶

SueC

Quote from: MeltingMan on September 15, 2019, 16:15:24Yes, I agree. They look like little mannequins, and that on purpose. And yet the clothing industry has "measured" men and women again.

What I find really interesting is that Barbies, and the preferred use in contemporary modelling of women who tend more towards a Barbie shape (although that's a completely exaggerated shape and no living woman is like that, and those proportions would look deformed on a live woman), really influence body dysmorphia in girls and young women, and yet when I worked with teenagers on body image, and asked boys to comment / vote with hands up, the vast majority of them said they preferred "normal" girls to what they saw in magazines:  "Not like sticks!  And not so airbrushed!"  And this really pleasantly surprised the girls, who then really relaxed, and it got such lovely conversations going between the boys and girls.  :)

QuoteI would say that countries like Thailand or even Mexico are more attentive to their dead. In Germany the funeral system is subject to a radical change. Mainly because earth burials are too expensive, etc. This old tradition, on the other hand, is remarkable and respectful.

Yeah, in Western countries it's often "let's put them out of sight, out of mind" and quite sanitised as well.  Some indigenous Australian tribes put their dead on platforms high in trees, away from dingoes, but our native insects are pretty good at reducing dead bodies to bone quickly - less than six weeks in warm weather to get a horse or cow down to a skeleton (no dingoes now in many agricultural areas, and no vultures either).  So the native people with this custom then retrieved the clean bones, and buried them.  It's possible that this practice is in part related to the nutrient poverty of Australian soils - doing an "open" burial initially recycles the nutrients in the body more effectively into the ecosystem, than burying underground will, even a shallow earth burial (not to mention a deep burial in a casket).  So, this is better nutrient recycling, which promoted ecosystem health, which is what hunter-gatherers very much depended on for their next meal.

Have you heard of sky burial, as done in the Himalayas?

Quote from: SueCSo, I decided to remove her disease with scissors.

😬😶

I'm sorry, are you feeling better now?  :)
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

Quote from: SueCHave you heard of sky burial, as done in the Himalayas?

Certainly Buddhist monks do that, right? Everything is possible today. If you want, you can also shoot your ashes into space. But I think Cure fans do not need that. 😉

Quote from: SueCare you feeling better now?

Thanks. I'm fine. 😌

SueC

I'm glad, @MeltingMan - I have a fairly low "ick" threshold about stuff like that, because of training as a biologist, demoing dissections for undergraduates for a couple of years, etc.

The Sky Burials involve feeding dead bodies, in pieces, to the local vultures, and apparently the local shaman gets really drunk to do it.  In that part of the Himalayas, the ground is very rocky, the weather isn't balmy, and nutrients need to be recycled effectively as well, so that's what people in that particular area do.  Seems gruesome to most Westerners, but we're generally so sheltered from death - I think we like to think of putting the body in some kind of time capsule, in traditional burials - at least the Judaeochristian cultural spin suggests it.

Personally, I'd like to be "buried" in the humus layer in the wilderness, so my building blocks could be quickly and effectively returned to other life forms, who would benefit from that - it's what happens in the wild, if you're not caught by a carnivore first.  However, that's actually not legal where I live - not even on your own land (we have a 50 hectare nature conservation area on our farm, where any dead animal bodies we have to deal with go, and I really wouldn't mind the same for me).  Therefore, I'm most probably going to donate my body to the university system, for medical and anatomy students doing anatomical dissections.

Anyone here want to share your own preferred way of having your body dealt with after your lifetime? :cool
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

🤔😎

Quote from: Galatea ZissThe black wedding dress

In the 16th century, the Spanish royal family rose to political power. The Spanish court also dictated the fashionable taste and the strict, stiff and black courtier costume was worn throughout Europe as "Spanish fashion".
Thus, the black wedding dress, symbolizing the piety of the virgin bride, also for a short time with nobility and upper middle class popular.
(...)However, in rural areas and the ordinary population, black wedding dresses were still commonplace. Usually the brides wore a special wedding or feast dress in festive black, poorer women wore their best black dress, which was more practical and easier to clean than a white dress.
  Women who married for the second time or had children in marriage were even forbidden to wear a white wedding dress.
The color black was also since the French Revolution, the civil status badge, since the representatives of the Third Estate (ie, all those who were not nobility or clergy) had to invest in the National Assembly a black coat.