GREETINGS FROM UK!

Started by mookus, April 12, 2010, 13:15:34

Previous topic - Next topic

mookus

My name is Marcus and i live in London in the UK. I am 37 years old and have seen The Cure 33 times in my life. I joined here to hopefully chat to people who would understand what this little pop band means to me. the first track i heard was Catch. I was 15 and it was kinda an epiphany moment-it summed up how i felt at the time about a girl i just clicked and the rest is history. They are the soundtrack to my life and listen to at least one track every day. RS is an extremely clever and talented bloke who has this trick whereby his music and especially his words, can strike a chord with me. The Cure are the only band that can make me cry which is no mean feat. I think i cried most nights on The Prayer tour. And when they played as Five Imaginary Boys in London around the time of Big Hand/Letter to Elise etc.  If i could pick one track that puts a smile on my face its Inbetween Days which all the more releveant now that im getting older!
I hope RS keeps to his word though and goes out in flames when he hits 50. He's a punk at heart and i think has said that it would be quite sad to be doing it when your ancient. I think he quoted The Rolling Stones aswell! They have a huge legacy and have been so influential that i think RS would rather do that than remain a "one popular mediocre" band. Much better to go out with a bang!
As much as i f'kin love this band, i will be the first to admit that they have done some truely shocking stuff. Every Cure fan should know that. They shouldnt be treated with hero worship and put on a pedestal. After all, they are only a pop band from Crawley who some may say, got lucky. Over 50million album sales isnt "getting lucky"-its RS staying true to his vision of The Cure. I imagine him doing whatever he wants and saying something like " if no one else like it, tough!" or "i dont care if its a success just that people like it. anything else is a bonus" When Lovesong was stuck at Number 2 in the US billboard charts, RS once famously stated that if it got to Number 1, he'd call it a day!
Thats just a snippet-i am looking forward to sharing stories with fellow like minded people who understand that occassionaly, genius and good musicianship can truely go together and strike a chord.
The Exploded Boy

Druide

...Dancing in my pocket...

mookus

Greetings Druide and thanks for the welcome! I see by ur avatar that ur a fellow Nephilim fan. Where abouts in the world ru? If ur in the UK, you will no doubt be aware that they have reformed with the original line up and recently played a show in london with more planned this year!! ( Just in time Sumertime )
The Exploded Boy

Druide

Quote from: mookus on April 22, 2010, 12:22:57
Greetings Druide and thanks for the welcome! I see by ur avatar that ur a fellow Nephilim fan. Where abouts in the world ru? If ur in the UK, you will no doubt be aware that they have reformed with the original line up and recently played a show in london with more planned this year!! ( Just in time Sumertime )

I'm following the Nephs in Europe since 1987 and "The Original Line up" is dead for long time now... Only new musicians...

You can see them for the next gigs : Athens, Hellfest and Germany Tour in December...  :smth023
...Dancing in my pocket...