2008.05.26 Vancouver - General Motors Place (Canada)

Started by dsanchez, June 22, 2007, 06:15:26

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Tickets
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/11003EDCDC868FD3?artistid=915776&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=60

Venue details
General Motors Place is one of the most active entertainment venues in North America. Since it opened in September 1995, General Motors Place has attracted the biggest names in show business to its stage and has welcomed more than 10 million visitors through its doors. In all, General Motors Place hosts approximately 100 events each year, ranking it among the busiest facilities in North America.

Importante note: The Vancouver show is set up to only allow seating for about a third of the arena. See the picture below to see the seating arrangement. (thanks Brian)

Capacity: 19,193

Venue photos

Setlist: Open, Fascination Street,Alt.end, The Walk, The End of the World, alt.end, Lovesong, Sleep When I'm Dead, Pictures of You, Lullaby, The Perfect Boy, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, Hot Hot Hot, The Only One, Push, Friday I'm In Love, Inbetween Days, Just Like Heaven, Primary, Never Enough, Wrong Number, One Hundred Years, End

1st encore: Lovecats , Let's Go To Bed, Freakshow, Close To Me, Why Can't I Be You?

2nd encore: Boys Don't Cry, Jumping Someone Else's Train, Grinding Halt, 10:15 Saturday Night, Killing An Arab

3rd encore: A Forest

End of show.

thanks Steph and Craig (CoF) and carycameron (curefans.com) for the correction.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

crowbi_wan

Tickets on sale tomorrow.  It looks like this one is going to be GA.  When I pulled up the seating chart on Ticketmaster it shows no seats on the floor.  Okay, I'm not too worried about getting a good spot now. 

crowbi_wan

Nevermind that last statement.  I was looking at this layout all wrong.  It's actually setup like a theater.  This should be interesting. 

crowbi_wan

crowbi_wan

nevyn

I really am grateful that European concerts have STANDING places...and not something like this...

crowbi_wan

Nevyn, Don't underestimate the intimacy of the venue.  Great views Will be had by all.  Even if there'a a giant in front of you you'll still be able to see.  Plus everyone is close.  im really looking forward to seeing what it looks like in person which should be very soon.  Who knows, Maybe it won't live up to my expectations.

crowbi_wan

Not too many people are here yet.  A good portion of the crowd is wearing black.  More so than any of the other shows i've seen on this tour.  Will it translate into a dark set? 

Bloodflower

Let's hope so! That can then feel free to translate into darker sets still for the 29th and 1st!

:D

Enjoy the show, Brian!
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

nevyn

Crowbi - do you want to tell me, that you prefer LOOKING at these guys (especially PORL) than smelling the sweaty crowd, who do their best to die jumping, shouting, and doing other things, trying to get as close to the stage as possible?

So, what are your thoughts about the show? :)

crowbi_wan

Not much to say about the show other than robert got his voice back.  Pretty amazing considering how bad it got yesterday.  According to the setlist the faith encore would not have included other voices if played tonight.  Curious if that one is just going to be played in the mainset now.  Glad i made the trip bit this one was kind of a snoozer.   

nevyn

so, it was just ANOTHER boring show by The Cure ;)

carycameron

Just came back from the show.
It was a standard set...no surprises.  But for most here, this is the first time seeing the Cure since 1996 Swing Tour or first time ever.  I would say the majority of the concert-goers were in late twenties-late thirties

The concert wasn't sold out even only using a third of the arena.  It looked like a lot of people were buying merchandise  so i'm sure they make some money there with the astronomical prices they charge.

- I was disappointed to see Open instead of Plainsong (as it never been played here before) or Underneath the Stars.  And no songs from Bloodflowers

- Robert's voice sounded fine but said little between songs.  He only introduced the new ones. 

- Highlights for me were Push (always a favorite), 100 Years (first time live and i like the continuous war images), Old school encore (loved to hear Jumping and Grinding Halt)

- Fans started really getting into it after Friday I'm in Love and everyone was standing throughout the encores

- The pop encore sounded poor.  It was nice to hear Lovecats but just sounds weird without keys.  But it does give Robert a chance to interact with crowd more as he does not play guitar on most of them.  Never Enough was the only other song where he only had the mic. 

- At the end, Robert bowed appreciably to the crowd for about a minute
   and then said "K,  see you again"  before leaving

carycameron

setlist requires a slight correction:

Alt.end was the third song played (after Fascination Street).  The rest is in correct order.