The Cure announce european 4tour 2008 shows

Started by dsanchez, September 27, 2007, 19:41:38

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

From thecure.com

Following on from their sell-out Australasian first leg of THE CURE 4TOUR, the band will be performing 22 headlining shows across 15 different European countries in the spring of 2008, once again playing for around 3 hours a night!

The quartet of Robert Smith (voice/guitar), Simon Gallup (bass), Jason Cooper (drums) and Porl Thompson (guitar) are currently in the studio finishing off their latest album which is scheduled for release early Spring 2008. It will be The Cure’s 13th studio release and is expected to be a double CD package.

Confirmed dates
http://www.curefans.com/index.php/board,30.0.html
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

krissik

I wonder if they will play any of their new songs on the european tour. Would be good if they play some of their older songs that have not been played for a while too. Plastic Passion , Short Term Effect , All Cats Are Grey , 17 Seconds , Wailing Wall.......I'd love to see those in the setlist :-) :-D

crowbi_wan

I'm finding some of the choices The Cure have made to be a bit odd.  Here's where they played on The Dreamtour and the amount of tickets sold (thanks COF).

March 27th - Madrid, Spain (La Riviera) (Capacity: 2,200) Sold Out!
March 28th - Madrid, Spain (La Riviera) (Capacity: 2,200) Sold Out!
March 29th -  Zaragoza, Spain (Sala Multiusos - Auditorio Zaragoza)(Capacity: 6,000 / Attendance: 5,000)
March 31st -  Valencia, Spain (Veledromo Luis Puig) (Capacity: 10,000 / Attendance: 8,000)
April 1st - Barcelona, Spain - (Sports Palace) (Capacity: 8,000) Sold Out!
April 3rd - Toulouse, France (Le Zenith) (Capacity: 7,000) Sold Out!
April 5th - Grenoble, France (Summum) (Capacity: 5,000) Sold Out!
April 7th - Zurich, Switzerland (Hallenstadion) (Capacity: 12,000 / Attendance: 10,000)
April 8th - Stuttgart, Germany (Schleyerhalle) (Capacity: 10,000 / Attendance: 8,500)
April 9th - Munich, Germany (Olympiahalle) (Capacity: 13,000 / Attendance: 10,000)
April 11th - Vienna, Austria (Libro Hall) (Capacity: 3,000 / Attendance: 2,800)
April 12th - Prague, Czech Repulic (Paegas arena) (Capacity: 20,000 / Attendance: 4-5,000)
April 14th - Lodz, Poland (Sportova) (Capacity: 7,000) Sold Out!
April 16th - Berlin, Germany (Arena) (Capacity: 7,500) Sold Out!
April 17th - Hamburg, Germany (Sporthalle) (Capacity: 7,000) Sold Out!
April 19th - Rotterdam, Netherlands (Ahoy) (Capacity: 10,000) Sold Out!
April 20th - Lille, France (Zenith Arena) (Capacity: 7,000) Sold Out!
April 22nd - London, England (Wembly Arena) (Capacity: 12,000 / Attendance: 11,500)
April 25th - Paris, France (Le Zenith) (Capacity: 7,000) Sold Out!
April 26th - Paris, France (Le Zenith) (Capacity: 7,000) Sold Out!
April 28th - Oberhausen, Germany (Arena) (Capacity: 13,000) Sold Out!
April 30th - Strasbourg,France (Le Rhenus-Parc des Expositions)(Capacity:10,000) Sold Out!
May 2nd - Marseille, France (Le Dome) (Capacity: 8,500) Sold Out!
May 4th - Milan, Italy (Fila Forum) (Capacity: 12,000) Sold Out!
May 6th - Florence, Italy (Palasport) (Capacity: 7,800) Sold Out!
May 8th - Rome, Italy (Palaeur) (Capacity: 11,000) Sold Out!

I just don't understand only two dates in France where they have a HUGE fan base, while Poland gets two shows.  Okay, sure Lodz sold out in 2000.  But they are playing a 10000 seat venue in Katowice and near 5000 in Warsaw.  Is there that great of demand in this area?  Then there's Prague, which is just 5 hours from Katowice.  There they play an 18000 seat arena which sold only 4-5000 tickets last time.  I swear Robert has lost his mind.  Two French dates is ridiculous  :roll:   And what's with two London dates?  Why not play Wembley and a show in Dublin, Glasgow, Manchester, or Edinburgh?  It is nice they've decided to once again visit Scandinavia, but this is a far cry from a "perfect tour".

~*CherryRed*~

Well I'm not sure if Mr Smith is perhapes getting bad advice from his cronies or what, but the whole American Tour 'thing' makes me worry about him too! Who in their right mind would book an American Tour (with the States most likely being the biggest money earner for them) and then decide to cancel so they can go back into the studio to finish off an album? Would sense not say that the album should've been done before the Tour started... or after the tour has ended? Who knows whats going on in the Smith camp these days. Keeps you on your toes though I guess!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

Jozef

I agree, I do find it strange that only one English show was booked. I'd think that Birmingham, Manchester, Cardiff, etc would get shows as well.  :?

japanesebaby

by the way, when was the last time there were any news about the album sessions, whether they are still running in schedule or getting behind - again? (i can't go and read that lunatic zoo called the official site because it makes me feel ill to visit there, so i don't know what's going on - if anything's going on at all.)
anyway, just call me paranoid (as i'll admit it in all), but i've simply started to develop a paranoia about the european tour maybe getting cancelled too - every morning i almost expect to read the news... and i'm getting paranoid to the point of being even unable to book my flights to europe because i simply couldn't afford to lose all that money - IF they cancelled.
damn it!

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

scatcat

I have this to say about the tour: How does Robert and the band do it.. I mean, playing in a different town, each night, moving like gypsies, everynite, catching flights, sleeping ina different town, or country?? I know that they have been in the business for years, but hey, Slow down, fans can wait, but personal health???
I worry that they are really pushing themselves too much, in trying to please the fans, the record company, they really must be buggered!!
What with the '13th album' to be released, remixes/deluxe albums...   :smth100

Robert... Take your time.. the real fans will wait. I waited. It was worth it!!  :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

Quote from: scatcat on January 07, 2008, 16:31:28
Robert... Take your time.. the real fans will wait. I waited. It was worth it!!  :smth023

yeah, the real fans will wait. but that doesn't mean i AM worried about paying hundreds of euros for some flight tickets for nothing. i don't want to start the argument again, but i do think people who complained heavily about the postponement of the US tour because they lost lots of money there (because flight tickets weren't refundable etc.), they had all the right to complain all they wanted. and people who answered to them with a "what kind of fans are you, complaining like this? any "real" fan would not complain but real fans would wait" - i think  these people were the ones who don't have heavy mortgages and things like that on their back. so now you can say: "so it's money money money - but that means nothing..." and that would be right, it means nothing at all. money is crap. BUT it's also very real: if you pay hundreds of euros for something and get nothing for it in exchange (as happened with the tour cancellation). that's crap. because it might have been that you don't have a second change to get that kind of money together, ever again. and so, it's a bad thing, should something like that happen to anyone. and i don't think it has nothing to do with anyone being any more "real" fan than anyone else.

sorry if i rant a bit, it's really NOTHING personal scatcat or aimed at anyone else around here. i guess i just need to rant a bit today, forgive me for that. but yes i was really very annoyed by all that "real fans vs. some-other-kid-of-fans" hypocricy that bursted out after the US tour cancellation. people pointing fingers to each other, how "real fans don't complian" - my ass. it really made me So annoyed. imo no such concept as "a real fan" even exists. there are only fans.

(and yeah, maybe i'm just a petty little soul now, as i keep talking about money and how i'm afraid of losing it. but that's because i really don't have that much of it to spend. so i don't have the luxury of saying "oh well, nevermind" if let's say some 800 euros just went flying out of the window for one reason or another.) maybe i have a shit salary and even most of that goes to rent alone. i'm afraid of falling ill because i wouldn't have money to pay the hospital bills. i hope i donät get sued because i don't have money for a lawyer. maybe that makes me a petty little person. but maybe it also explains why i also get worried about things like this, about not hearing any news.)

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Janko

FUNNY HOW YOU DISCUSS THE TOUR... THE ALBUM IS NOT YET OUT!!! AND IT SHOULD BE OUT IN MARCH-APRIL, SO THE FIRST SINGLE SHOULD BE HERE IN FEBRUARY-MARCH, SO THE NEWS SHOULD BE PRETTY DEFINITIVE BY NOW... BUT SOMEHOW, NOTHING!
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

melly

I don't think anyone would think you are ranting, jb...the thought of losing lots of money would not appeal to anyone, that's for sure!
Of course, everyone is waiting in anticipation for this tour, and the release of the double album and to whet our appetite, a single or two..maybe these aren't going to released before the tour kicks off? I don't honestly know, but perhaps Robert wants to get the tour started first, THEN release the singles/album?
I understand peoples' reticence at parting with big money for air fares, motels etc., but surely, lightening wouldn't strike twice, would it?  I would think that if there was going to be another postponment, it would have been announced by now... :smth023
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

budvarka

just cant imagine they would play a lot of new stuff unless putting out at least few singles... time is running out though - Stockholm in 26 days!
Prague - 3.8. 1990
Brno - 23.8. 1998
Prague - 12.4. 2000
Prague - 21.2. 2008