2008.05.19 Kansas City - Starlight Theatre (USA)

Started by dsanchez, September 13, 2007, 16:41:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothiczartan

I heard that Robert was not feeling well enough to sing. I hope the cure show was not canceled in kanasas city.

when I was at the cure concert may 9 patriot center, robert sounded pretty good and he finish the whole setlist, the cure did not play "A Night Like This", that is one of my fav cure songs!

Robert Smith is our hero!

japanesebaby

Quote from: j on May 20, 2008, 06:45:06
I have to say that Robert sounded horrible, but he did plug right through.  He apologized many times, and even said that "in 30 years of singing, I've never had a throat like this". 

the curse of kansas city?
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

[labyrinth]

chinesewhispers

yeahhhh two new songs!!

I'm waiting .........

lostflower4

Just got back from KC.

The first outdoor concert of the year (and a full moon  :lol:). I had a feeling it wouldn't be just any old show...

Well, the new opener was fantastic. I'm sure it was the "slow and lush" song that was described in the recent soundchecks. A great start, but after that Robert's vocal problems really started to become obvious. He sounded really strained and had to sing in a really low, soft voice most of the time.

But musically, it was one of the tighest performances I've heard in a long time. Porl especially was on fire, and he was very clear in the mix. Overall sound was excellent.

Setlist was above average, and I finally got to see The Kiss live. One of the best versions of that I've ever heard. Robert sounded incredibly sick on that one, and in a weird way it enhanced the mood of the song.

Then they ended the show with a condensed "old school" encore. I think Robert really needed to stop at that point. While like everyone else I was hoping they'd close with Faith, I think it would have been a really weird version with Robert's voice the way it was. I really doubt he felt up to it.

I really admire him for making these shows go on, but I'm also really worried he's destroying his voice in the process. I think a week off might do him some good, as bad as that may be for some fans. I really hope he gets better soon.

But music-wise, it was still a great show - so definitely not a lost cause. I was in the 5th row and took a lot of nice pictures, but right now I'm just too damn tired to write or do much more.

I'm pretty sure the second new song was the one known as "Baby Rag Dog Book".

http://curefans.com/index.php/v/live/2008/northamericantour/rosemont/P1000762.JPG.html?action=gallery

Very upbeat, but not poppy. It had a really long instrumental intro with the band just jamming out. I thought it was pretty cool.

[labyrinth]

i guess so,
it's like 5.40 AM over there!!!!

enjoy your rest!!!

and thanks for the review.

mahood

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 20, 2008, 12:32:29
I finally got to see The Kiss live. One of the best versions of that I've ever heard. Robert sounded incredibly sick on that one, and in a weird way it enhanced the mood of the song.

let's hope he recovers soon, but i understand what you mean --- it must have been a peculiar experience to hear this (and a painful one to sing).
the evil part of me makes me really want to hear this version  :oops:

thanks for the review, and the description of the 2 new songs --- now i'm getting more & more curious about the new album.
signs, flowers, weapons and balloons

j

Glad to see that you made it home safely, Caley.  I have updated the setlist.  Because of wonderful modern technology, crowbi_wan received some texts out of order, even though I sent hem in order.  Brian blames the Verizon guy, and I think I may have to agree with him here!

I have confirmed the correct order and have made the changes in the first post of this thread.

[labyrinth]

does the new song (the opener) last for 6 minutes???

:-D

finally, a long one!!!!!  :-D

Giuseppe Eisonhawk

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 20, 2008, 12:32:29
Just got back from KC.
I'm sure it was the "slow and lush" song that was described in the recent soundchecks. A great start, but after that Robert's vocal problems really started to become obvious. He sounded really strained and had to sing in a really low, soft voice most of the time.
Porl especially was on fire, and he was very clear in the mix. Overall sound was excellent.
Setlist was above average, and Robert sounded incredibly sick and in a weird way it enhanced the mood of the song.
I think Robert really needed to stop at that point. I think it would have been a really weird version with Robert's voice the way it was. I really doubt he felt up to it.
I really admire him for making these shows go on, but I'm also really worried he's destroying his voice in the process. I think a week off might do him some good, as bad as that may be for some fans. I really hope he gets better soon.
Where'd you go to medical school? A little throat steroids & Rob's got it all figured out. He'll sing low & soft for the next show or two but I'm most definatly sure he'll be better in like <three days. Maybe Cold will make it into the setlist. Whiskey & tea.
may it be me or it maybe you

lostflower4

Quote from: Giuseppe Eisonhawk on May 20, 2008, 16:51:17Where'd you go to medical school? A little throat steroids & Rob's got it all figured out. He'll sing low & soft for the next show or two but I'm most definatly sure he'll be better in like <three days. Maybe Cold will make it into the setlist. Whiskey & tea.

I went to medical school at Clown University, but thanks for asking.  :?

crowbi_wan

Thanks for the review there, Caley.  I've heard a few people mention how tight the show was musically.  Nice that Porl was clear tonight.  His level might have been increased do to Robert's voice. 

:shock: I didn't even notice while updating the setlist, but they didn't play alt.end!  It's about time that one was left out 

scatcat

Quote from: [labyrinth] on May 20, 2008, 12:17:02
another 2 new songs?!

great!

does anyone know the title of these 2 new songs?  :smth100

"Baby Rag Dog Book"  ?.. any feedback yet?

I'm sorry to hear that Robert's voice is affected. God , he sounded so great in 2007 here in the land of OZ.. ( when I say God.. of course I mean Robert Smith !  8)

I really think they needed a longer break! IMHO  :smth023

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

sullen

closedown

good to see that they at least start to introduce more new songs, with Robert's problems quite logical they had to shorten the set.