Phones at concerts....!

Started by the thread of a dream, July 17, 2019, 12:35:04

Previous topic - Next topic

the thread of a dream

Well... I just saw a tweet that the Curefans site put up on twitter, of a picture of fans at a Cure concert, and there where so many phones in the air! It was such a sad image! There was only one guy I'd say who was on another guys shoulders, without a phone filming. It made me angry too, as you go to see a concert to see the band, with your bare f****** eyeballs! They might aswell be at home, watching a livestream! Do they even watch back the videos they have? And people who stop to text people during concerts really agitate me. Or take a picture to message to people. Live in the moment for godsake! I went to London recently, and the amount of people on their phones on the tube was beyond me. I had my bag from the flight over, so I read my book (on Depeche Mode), but it was kind of sad. Some people where talking because they had short stops, and some older people where reading, its just the level of phones!

I went to see Joy Division's music orchestrated that night in London, in the Royal Albert Hall. I was surprised to see so little phones, (you can tell from the little glowing squares around you) this show was once off, so I was glad to see people just appreciating the music. (Except for one woman sitting behind my sister with her huge freaking ipad, filming alot of it) but at The Who at Wembley (they're my sisters favourite band) the next day, I saw so many phones out. Wembley is not that great for concerts, as it's so big, so some people had poor views, but the amount of people texting etc during songs, while poor Pete and Roger where giving their all, well into their seventies, and people are just texting, or filming. The modern age! What happened to living in the moment? I can see why Robert Smith has turned against phones, and has  turned into ' a bitter old man '.... it's quite frustrating on where we've come with technology.
☆Slit the cats like cheese!
Then eat the sweet sticky things! ☆

Ulrich

Quote from: the thread of a dream on July 17, 2019, 12:35:04Well... I just saw a tweet that the Curefans site put up on twitter, of a picture of fans at a Cure concert, and there where so many phones in the air!

Yep, I think our Admin has put the same pic into this topic here:
http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=8871.0

Quote from: the thread of a dream on July 17, 2019, 12:35:04It made me angry too...
...The modern age! What happened to living in the moment?

Many people today go to yoga courses (etc.) to re-learn just that: "living in the moment".  ;)

There's no need to be "angry" at others. As long as people don't disturb/annoy me, I don't really care! I remember last time I went to see The Cure, I was kinda happy there were lots of strangers around me, so no-one I knew did get to see my tears.  :1f62a:
Thus, as long as they let me be (touched, as I was, by the music and emotions it raised in me), I let them be too. (From what I remember, there weren't too many using phones or filming...)

Of course, it can be "distracting" when they do nothing else but think about how they'll put this pic or film up on the internet ("how many likes will it get?") - but at least they're concentrated on the person they're taking a pic of or on the song they're filming! (It's much worse, when they do text someone instead of listening...)

Let's face it, for those who are not there at the show, it would be disappointing to find out there's not one pic or video to see from it! That is the modern world...
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Quote from: the(...)dreamLive in the moment for godsake!

Yes absolutely. Not only for festivals, of course, but also for "real" Cure concerts.

👍🏻
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

I use my phone sometimes for a couple photos/videos but I try not to use it too much so I can live in the moment, live in the now. Every concert I have been to (I have been to 9 now) I have not used my phone much or at all save for videos/photos. At Firenze Rocks they actually had wi fi but I barely used it, and it was a huge festable.

the thread of a dream

I suppose I got very heated when posting this, I'm from a much younger generation then most people on this site... (I mean the self titled Cure album came out when I was born!) And they love their phones, where as I don't. So I guess that's why I'm a big anti-phone person. But good point on yoga. Yoga is a very 'de-clutterer' of the mind. And I probably should've made it clearer that I really don't like people who have their phones out for the whole entire concert.... I have nothing against those who film a few songs and pictures! Just that picture of all those fans and all the phones got me real sad...
☆Slit the cats like cheese!
Then eat the sweet sticky things! ☆

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on July 17, 2019, 15:31:59There's no need to be "angry" at others. As long as people don't disturb/annoy me, I don't really care!

You are right, at the same time all this tech is killing concert's atmosphere. Just watch at the vibes of 'Show' and 'In Orange' and compare it to any Cure show in this tour. There's a huge difference.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

PearlThompsonsBloodflower

Quote from: dsanchez on July 22, 2019, 18:57:49
Quote from: Ulrich on July 17, 2019, 15:31:59There's no need to be "angry" at others. As long as people don't disturb/annoy me, I don't really care!

You are right, at the same time all this tech is killing concert's atmosphere. Just watch at the vibes of 'Show' and 'In Orange' and compare it to any Cure show in this tour. There's a huge difference.
At Firenze Rocks so many people had there phones out it was ridiculous. Wi fi was available too and tons of people smoke and drank.

Ulrich

Quote from: PearlThompsonsBloodflowers on July 22, 2019, 19:10:04
Quote from: dsanchez on July 22, 2019, 18:57:49

At Firenze Rocks so many people had there phones out it was ridiculous. Wi fi was available too and tons of people smoke and drank.

Should I see people drink or smoke at a Cure concert, I'll leave the building immediately!!!

;)  :D  :lol:

But seriously: I understand your sentiments towards over-use of phones. Maybe it's worse at the current "festival" shows. But at the concert in 2016, it wasn't a big problem (at least where I was standing).  :cool
The holy city breathed like a dying man...