My review of the preparations for Hyde Park, not the concert itself

Started by cheyler, July 12, 2018, 00:39:18

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on July 14, 2018, 15:36:31
I'm not so certain about the thought of "Robert wanted...". I might be wrong, but I had the impression that The Cure received an offer from BST to play Hyde Park (with the addition that it would have to be the "only show" in Europe) and they agreed to do it. At least that's how it sounded to me. (And Robert wasn't too pleased about the "only show" part of the deal, when he received the offer to curate and play at Meltdown...)

My impression is that he couldn't say "no" to the whole Meltdown thing, so a VIP must
have contacted him or his manager. That was a mistake and that irritated a lot of fans.
I wasn't there, yes, but otherwise I would be very disappointed. The fans are actually
not so communicative, so we are not responsible for the "hype" around it. We have our
questions and thoughts - thanks for the smoke signals from Washington - we need that
from time to time, and Robert maybe too!

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

mark_hex

Cure fans were building the hype from the moment both events were announced, Robert solo set this, Lol/Pearl appearance. At no point was either even alluded to. It was quite clear when he said that four of his best friends would be onstage with him, it would be the rest of the band. Again, a shame that so much negativity has been created around an amazing year to be a Cure fan. I can only think that those disappointed were not in attendance at either event.

mark_hex

Should state: 'Robert solo set this, Lol/Pearl appearance that, etc.'

dsanchez

Quote from: theenglishleft on July 15, 2018, 12:23:44
Again, a shame that so much negativity has been created around an amazing year to be a Cure fan. I can only think that those disappointed were not in attendance at either event.

Is a very tiny portion of fans. Every fan I personally know who went to CURAETON-25 or Hyde Park was happy with the shows. Personally speaking, I can't complain on any of the bands who played BST -The Cure included- my complain just goes to the festival itself, but that's another story and I will write my thoughts in another post.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

MeltingMan

Quote from: theenglishleft on July 15, 2018, 12:23:44
Cure fans were building the hype from the moment both events were announced,...

I'm sorry but this is a lie. One member of our staff wrote "Let the speculation begin".
There's nothing wrong with it. We didn't generate a "hype" - we offered our suggestions,
especially cheyler and me. Robert gave two interviews. Both were, for my taste, indifferent
and a bit sarcastic. We can't expect anything! Everything depends from the good will of The
Cure and their former members. Is that clear enough??
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on July 15, 2018, 11:46:01
My impression is that he couldn't say "no" to the whole Meltdown thing

Of course he was honoured to be offered this opportunity. And then he realised that he'd agreed to an "only show" deal with BST, which was unfortunate. So he thought up the "Cureation" thing to avoid any clashes... however, in my opinion, he really could've done something different for that one.

Btw, everyone seems to read something different out of an interview, I didn't sense "sarcasm" there. But each to their own etc.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...