Extract DVD files

Started by dsanchez, September 23, 2007, 23:27:22

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Guys, I am planning to share some DVD's I own and would like to know what's the process to extract the files from the DVD and what's the best (free) software to do it. Thanks.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

you mean to uploading them somewhere? well it's a LOT of uploading (and downloading), unless you're torrenting it with a rather fast internet connection. 
anyway, if you're determined to do it you can rip the dvd on your HD (=copy the folder called 'VIDEO_TS', AUDIO_TS is empty so you don't need that one). then, if you're not preparing for torrenting, you should maybe use some program to saw the files in pieces so that you can upload it in several small parts. individual .VOB files are appr. 1 GB so you need to split them in several pieces first. then people who download need to have the same program, in order to put the pieces together after downloading all the parts.

personally i think uploading a DVD onto some sharing service (like rapidshare or megaupload) is a bit too laborous on both ways, but of course it can be done.

(...unless you meant something else by "process of extracting the files"(?))
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 24, 2007, 18:28:19
anyway, if you're determined to do it you can rip the dvd on your HD (=copy the folder called 'VIDEO_TS', AUDIO_TS is empty so you don't need that one).

Ohh, ok. Actually this is what I wanted, "rip" the files on the DVD into my hard-disk. So it's just a simple copy-paste thing?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on September 24, 2007, 18:30:36
Quote from: japanesebaby on September 24, 2007, 18:28:19
anyway, if you're determined to do it you can rip the dvd on your HD (=copy the folder called 'VIDEO_TS', AUDIO_TS is empty so you don't need that one).

Ohh, ok. Actually this is what I wanted, "rip" the files on the DVD into my hard-disk. So it's just a simple copy-paste thing?

yes, just copy paste. but it depends what you're going to do with them. if you want to keep it authored as dvd, then you can just create a folder on your desktop, name it after the dvd and then copy the VIDEO_TS folder on the dvd in this new folder. this means you have the dvd copied on your HD and you can play it with a dvd player from the VIDEO_TS folder.
but if you want get rid off the original authoring (= if you want to join the individual .VOB files into one single stretch of mpeg-2), this can be done too. but for that you need some extra software.
not sure which one you're after...? it depends on what you want to do with the material i suppose.

dsanchez

Quote from: japanesebaby on September 24, 2007, 18:35:01
yes, just copy paste. but it depends what you're going to do with them.

I just was planning to share the DVD "as it's". Guess it's enough with this copy-paste, right?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on September 24, 2007, 18:36:45
Quote from: japanesebaby on September 24, 2007, 18:35:01
yes, just copy paste. but it depends what you're going to do with them.

I just was planning to share the DVD "as it's". Guess it's enough with this copy-paste, right?

yes, then your just need to copy the VIDEO_TS folder on your HD, nothing else. all the info (both authoring info and the actualy mpeg) is in that folder.

lostflower4

Yep. If it's just a regular DVD (no copyright encryption or anything), just copy and paste the VIDEO_TS / AUDIO_TS folders to your hard drive. Of course the AUDIO_TS is always empty so you can just make your own, or your burning software will make it for you. Actually, you don't even need to have this on a DVD. What's the point of that folder, now? :smth017

Although sometimes I will use DVD Decrypter to remove prohibited user operations (PUOs) from a disc. You know, like those DVDs made with a standalone recorder that don't allow you to scan through each track? :twisted:  Well, this will fix that crap!

http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk

All those built-in "rules" are in the small IFO/BUP files, so after I copy a DVD to my hard drive via copy and paste, I'll check for these PUOs, and if they are present I'll re-rip the IFO/BUP files with DVD Decrypter.

Huh, I wish everyone went to all this trouble when sending me DVDs. :roll: