Stranglers’ keyboardist Dave Greenfield dies after contracting Covid-19

Started by BiscuityBoyle, May 04, 2020, 18:49:46

Previous topic - Next topic

BiscuityBoyle

RIP

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/may/04/stranglers-keyboardist-dave-greenfield-dies-after-contracting-covid-19

QuoteA long-standing member of the influential punk outfit, Greenfield was known for his distinctive sound and playing style, using instruments such as the harpsichord and Hammond electric organ.

BiscuityBoyle

Do You Wanna, one of his rare lead vocal parts, is so, so good

Really like the crossfade into Death & Night & Blood but also wish there was a version of this song where it just would angrily and noisily fade out, like Real Cool Time by The Stooges.

BiscuityBoyle

More DG lead vocals

This is one of their masterpieces. I must've posted this song 4-5 times in the Currently Listening thread:

And this is from their most innovative (and underrated) album

Ulrich

Very sad and shocking news.

From the band's website:
Quote from: undefinedDavid Paul Greenfield (29/03/49-03/05/20)

We are deeply and profoundly saddened to announce the untimely passing of keyboard legend Dave Greenfield on the evening of 3rd May 2020. Following a stay in hospital for heart problems, Dave tested positive for the Covid-19 virus last Sunday but he sadly lost his battle last night. Dave had been an ever present in the band since joining in late 1975 and his keyboard wizardry was world-renowned over his 45 year career in The Stranglers. Dave was a lovable, friendly and eccentric character who always had time to chat.

We have received the following tributes from Dave's fellow band members JJ, Jet and Baz as well as Sil the band's manager:

"On the evening of Sunday May 3rd my great friend and longstanding colleague of 45 years, the musical genius that was Dave Greenfield, passed away as one of the victims of the Great Pandemic of 2020. All of us in the worldwide Stranglers' family grieve and send our sincerest condolences to Pam." - JJ Burnel

"We have just lost a dear friend and music genius, and so has the whole world. Dave was a complete natural in music. Together, we toured the globe endlessly and it was clear he was adored by millions. A huge talent, a great loss, he is dearly missed." - Jet Black

"We lost a true innovator, musical legend, and one of my dearest friends today. The word genius is bandied around far too easily in this day and age, but Dave Greenfield certainly was one. We stood together on the same side of the stage for 20 years, laughed, joked and shared our lives in the way that only band mates can. I'll miss him forever. Our thoughts and hearts are with his wife Pam, and to the millions of fans who worshipped at his altar, he'll never be equalled." - Baz Warne

"We are all in shock, Dave was a kind, generous soul who had time for anyone and everyone and it has been my privilege to have known him as both a close friend, his tech and manager for over 40 years. Our thoughts are with Pam at this sad time" - Sil Willcox

He is survived by his wife Pam and we ask you to respect Pam's privacy at this very sad time.

Fly straight Mr G, fond adieu xx
http://www.thestranglers.co.uk/?p=16131

Edit; HC has also reacted via FB
QuoteI am very sorry to hear of the passing of Dave Greenfield. He was the difference between The Stranglers and every other punk band. His musical skill and gentle nature gave an interesting twist to the band. He should be remembered as the man who gave the world the music of "Golden Brown".
Hugh Cornwell 4/5/2020
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

chemicaloverload

Sad news. These words though, "he'll never be equalled", very powerful. Mark of a very special person.
Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

BiscuityBoyle

I like how their music inspires people to make all these cute fan videos

SueC

(Glad to see you again, @BiscuityBoyle - hope you're feeling better.)

...yeah, so sad about that, I find the harpsichord on Golden Brown completely mesmeric...
SueC is time travelling

piggymirror

That is a good song.
I've never had much time for the Stranglers, but since being here, I've listened to a couple songs that sounded very okay.

RIP Dave Greenfield.