keyboards or tapes??

Started by ernest newman, February 21, 2008, 17:53:35

Previous topic - Next topic

ernest newman

For those that have gone to this leg, it seems there are many more keyobard layers. From listening to the gigs available, I also think I hear mini mistakes in the keyboard notes, which means there not tapes, but someone is playing them under the stage. U2 has been doing this since 1992 (a fifth member, who doesnt get to play on stage)..It also seems when the band gets a little off, the keyboards don't which leads me to believe someone is playing them.

Anyone have any clues, or are they for sure tapes (not actual tapes, but MIDI or something like that)...I'm sure there will be many opinions, but anyone know for sure (close to band, been to soundcheck to see whats up)

scatcat

Quote from: ernest newman on February 21, 2008, 17:53:35
For those that have gone to this leg, it seems there are many more keyobard layers. From listening to the gigs available, I also think I hear mini mistakes in the keyboard notes, which means there not tapes, but someone is playing them under the stage. U2 has been doing this since 1992 (a fifth member, who doesnt get to play on stage)..It also seems when the band gets a little off, the keyboards don't which leads me to believe someone is playing them.

they play keyboards under the stage?.. who are they hiding under there, that could not/didn't want to be visible part of the tour??
very interesting ernest..  :shock:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

ernest newman

u2 have had two under the stage guys, des broadberry, and now terry lawless is the guys name..in 2005 they actually had a song that needed edge to play 2 parts at once, so they finally after years brought the guy up to play the keyboard and introduced him..they did if for like 3 shows, they became insecure in it and never did it again, they reorganized the song so they didnt need him to play. They do not play complicated parts, but they need to be played live so that if the band gets off the entire song does not get out of whack

[labyrinth]

also the Placebo had two "hiding" members .

Oso Blanco

Idiotic shit, if you ask me ... and I know you don't.

Either you have to re-arrange the songs to get them done without additional keys, guitars or whatever, or you bring additional players on stage with you. Hidden-under-the-stage-band-members or pre-recorded tapes are crap and an insult to the audience!
Time is the fire in which we burn ...

rodney

I've seen bands have additional players just offstage where you aren't supposed to see them before.  No big deal.

Carnage Visor

Quote from: Oso Blanco on February 22, 2008, 19:40:30
Idiotic shit, if you ask me ... and I know you don't.

Why the hostility? It happens sometimes. At least its not an Ashlee Simpson incident...I mean, Robert still actually sings for himself...but some of the ambient noises and drones and stuff may be programmed into the keyboards to be played under the music, to add additional layers of sound.

Oso Blanco

Quote from: Carnage Visor on February 22, 2008, 23:25:13
to add additional layers of sound.

When I want additional layers of sound, I go home and listen to the studio albums on cd. When I'm going to see a live show, I want it to be a LIVE show! I don't know what happened to The Cure ... Robert used to be very resourceful back in the old days. But now he's relying on fake drums and keyboards, and even guitars way too much!

For me, it ruined the shows in 2000, 2002 and 2004 completely. 2005 was not as bad, but still bad. I didn't go to this years show here in Berlin, and I haven't downloaded anything yet ... do they still use so many tapes and stuff? It's a shame, really ... they used to be such a great live band. But that was before Jason joined the band.

rodney

I'd rather have it that way too, but I also prefer my shows in tiny 200 person venues, not giant arenas.  With The Cure, I'll take what I can get.

carycameron

Quote from: Oso Blanco on February 23, 2008, 00:57:10
Quote from: Carnage Visor on February 22, 2008, 23:25:13
to add additional layers of sound.

When I want additional layers of sound, I go home and listen to the studio albums on cd. When I'm going to see a live show, I want it to be a LIVE show! I don't know what happened to The Cure ... Robert used to be very resourceful back in the old days. But now he's relying on fake drums and keyboards, and even guitars way too much!

For me, it ruined the shows in 2000, 2002 and 2004 completely. 2005 was not as bad, but still bad. I didn't go to this years show here in Berlin, and I haven't downloaded anything yet ... do they still use so many tapes and stuff? It's a shame, really ... they used to be such a great live band. But that was before Jason joined the band.

As far as I can tell, it IS live.  Robert is actually singing and everyone's playing their instruments.  That's what live is,  the fact that they add some additional sound doesn't change that

Oso Blanco

Quote from: rodney on February 23, 2008, 01:34:56
I'd rather have it that way too, but I also prefer my shows in tiny 200 person venues, not giant arenas.  With The Cure, I'll take what I can get.

I see what you mean. But the days I took anything I could get from The Cure are gone. I don't like being the kind of fan that happily nibbles on every bone his idol is throwing him. I went a long way with this band ... and unless they are coming up with something REALLY good, I'm done with them.

I know that most of you think of me as a bitter old man, but really ... they are NOTHING like the band they used to be. Can you blame me?

Oso Blanco

Quote from: carycameron on February 23, 2008, 02:57:45
As far as I can tell, it IS live.  Robert is actually singing and everyone's playing their instruments.  That's what live is,  the fact that they add some additional sound doesn't change that

Yes, everyone is playing their instruments, but is every instrument you hear being played on stage? I saw both Trilogy shows in Berlin, and there were guitar parts when nobody on stage even touched their guitars! And don't even get me started on the drums!

carycameron

Quote from: Oso Blanco on February 23, 2008, 03:10:53
Quote from: rodney on February 23, 2008, 01:34:56

I see what you mean. But the days I took anything I could get from The Cure are gone. I don't like being the kind of fan that happily nibbles on every bone his idol is throwing him. I went a long way with this band ... and unless they are coming up with something REALLY good, I'm done with them.

I know that most of you think of me as a bitter old man, but really ... they are NOTHING like the band they used to be. Can you blame me?

I don't think many would disagree the band is well past their prime. 
I'm certainly interested in the upcoming new cd but not terribly excited about it  at least not yet
I do think they are still sounding very good live on this tour despite not having keyboards from the recordings I've heard so far   and many who have gone to the shows seem to think so too.  They are definitely still worth watching in my opinion even if it isn't quite as it used to be...

melly

hey! mr/ms oso blanco... in case you haven't noticed, the Cure have been going for nearly 30 years...show me ANY band who can sound as good as the Cure do live after all that time... of COURSE it's going to be different... 20 year olds playing in a band are going to be quite the opposite to nearly 50 year olds... my my, you ARE a bitter old man, aren't you? Maybe it's time for a nap...you may feel better after a little snooze, so that next time you choose to come in here, you won't be so nasty and jaded.... whilst it is naive to think everyone is going to "love" everything the Cure do, it sounds as though you need to move on...find another band.... ta ta....
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

scatcat

@melly.. don't worry, Osos not a fan..  :shock:
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life