New album in 2016/2017/2018/2019... (?)

Started by Ulrich, October 17, 2015, 13:38:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

The rumours move to "new Cure album in 2016" now...
http://www.franchiseherald.com/articles/41659/20151016/the-cure-new-album.htm
More details about their tour is reportedly going to be announced in January, that reportedly include their new album.

Nothing really "new" here, as they refer to old articles from NME and "Uncut" (about "4:14 Scream").
:roll:
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on October 19, 2015, 11:19:18
In the past, the touring had sometimes started already before the album release.
Are you alluding to 4:13 Dream? I have to say that the 'news' have delighted me because
the original was planned, we all know that, as a double album and I'm confident that it will
be publishing during the second half of 2016, at the latest. :smth023
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on October 22, 2015, 16:29:06
Are you alluding to 4:13 Dream?

No. That was a case of the album being released when touring was almost done...  :roll:
I was thinking more of 1992 (and possibly other years), when the tour(s) commenced a few days before the album release date (as far as I know).

MeltingMan

Quote from: cheyler on October 26, 2015, 01:25:42They can headline any European festival and play for 100,000 people at a throw.
Rather not, especially in Germany. Better would be an indoor concert tour for 4:14 Scream.
A festival is not necessarily the right place for a new album. Just my view.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Please note: I moved some posts to here out of the "Orange 2016" topic! Thus, some quotes are misplaced now - just ignore that!

Quote from: MeltingMan on October 27, 2015, 14:44:43
A festival is not necessarily the right place for a new album. Just my view.

I totally agree! IF there will be a new album in 2016, there should be "normal" touring, not festival shows. (We've had some of those in 2011-2014 anyway...)
According to recent announcements and rumours, it looks like touring will happen, so it is not looking too bad for a new album!  :)

cheyler

Absolutely, I feel the same way here.  Not keen on the festival gigs under any circumstances, too much of what I don't want and not enough Cure!

Ulrich

Current news info from the band homepage does indeed give hope for a new album "soonish" (not quite sure if before or after the tour):

Quote"THE CURE TOUR 2016" will present Robert Smith (voice/guitar), Simon Gallup (bass), Jason Cooper (drums), Roger O'Donnell (keys) and Reeves Gabrels (guitar) as they explore 37 years of Cure songs, mixing hits, rarities, favourites and as yet unreleased tracks in a brand new stage production that promises to be the 'must see' show of the year!
http://www.thecure.com/news/3232/the_cure_announce_2016_north_american_tour

Ulrich

cuneytarkin

The fact that they're playing new songs on tour is certainly promising...

Secrets

*Finally* saw the band in Sydney and was very impressed with how good they sounded compared to previous tours. After an extensive US Tour, they obviously had their stuff together.  It would be great to see this lineup record something more lasting.

When It Can Never Be The Same and Step Into The Light were played I hoped it might foreshadow an imminent release, but as the tour dates progressed and nothing else came out, it didn't appear there was a secret album waiting in the wings.

Do we have any information on the origin of these two songs? Do they hark back to the infamous Dark Album, or are they new compositions with this current lineup?

My guess is if there is a new album, it still has to be written and recorded. As much as I'd love to hear a new album, I suspect the majority of people at the gig the other night paid their $150 to hear Let's Go To Bed and Close To Me, so why bother?

cheyler

If I'd had the opportunity to pay $150.00 to see them at any point on their recent tour, I would have seen the Ridgefield WA show but it didn't work out, the money, the timing, the everything.  I think that show was added for all the people that thought they were going to get a Seattle show but didn't.  Nice gesture on the part of the band.  I found out too late 'cause I didn't expect it and wasn't paying attention.  It Can Never Be The Same seems to be one of the 'dark' songs written with Porl (you can hear the same 'chiming' effect as on 'The Hungry Ghost') and Step Into The Light was announced by Robert as "the only new song" and this was at a show where they played both.  Various pronouncements by RS during the early shows lead me to believe what I have said is true.  I expected a new album because of the extended layoff between the shows in December 2014 and the start of the recent tour.  I don't know what to think anymore.  I didn't care all that much because I have never been a fan of the band with Reeves.  This recent tour changed my mind, I think they are playing at a peak; not only a peak with Reeves but at a peak on par with '81, '86 and 2000.  'Wish', 'Prayer' and 2008 tours remain untouchable, at least by this band at this time.

Ulrich

Quote from: Secrets on July 29, 2016, 00:39:13
It would be great to see this lineup record something more lasting.

Yeah, can't help but agree here. Due to lack of interviews, we don't know what the plan is really.

...I suspect the majority of people at the gig the other night paid their $150 to hear Let's Go To Bed and Close To Me, so why bother?

And BDC and Inbetween days and many many more...

cheyler

...I suspect the majority of people at the gig the other night paid their $150 to hear Let's Go To Bed and Close To Me, so why bother?

And BDC and Inbetween days and many many more...
[/quote]

Let's Go To Bed and Close To Me are very LOW on my list of songs I want to hear, but there are about 60 other songs they're playing right now that I'd gladly pay $150.00 a ticket to see.  If I had it, that is.  Looking forward to Peter Hook playing Atmosphere and Dead Souls at the moment...  If The Cure tour again anywhere near Seattle, I'll be ready!!

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on July 29, 2016, 19:07:22
Let's Go To Bed and Close To Me are very LOW on my list of songs I want to hear...

I could do well without Let's go to bed, Why can't I be you? etc., but they play so many songs.

Hillbilley

2016 is soon over and The Cure are still on tour. They have played two new songs on this tour, but will they be recorded? Are there any plans for the band to ever record again? We will not get a new album this year, that's for sure!

What happened to the "other half" of 4:13 Dream, by the way?

:roll: