Mogwai tour 2009.

Started by Sussex, January 08, 2009, 07:42:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Sussex

http://www.mogwai.co.uk/option,com_gigcal/Itemid,3/

I'll be there on the 21st Jan show at KLCC, Malaysia! Bought theticket already..

Happy-ing! :smth020
"Thick As Shit"

Descent

I saw them in Reims (France) very recently. Especially made the trip for them although I did attend the Paris concert in Oct 2008 and I wasn't disappointed. Four or five tracks were different.

They're constantly on tour now it seems. :D America later this month, then some European festivals in the summer (I'm not sure I want to see them at 4pm in daylight...hum) and two dates in Japan.

http://www.mogwai.co.uk/option,com_gigcal/Itemid,3/

crowbi_wan

Quote from: Descent on April 08, 2009, 19:13:11

I'm not sure I want to see them at 4pm in daylight...hum.

My first time seeing them was something like that, but then most bands played in daylight for Curiosa.  Even so, it was a fantastic gig.  :rocker   I walked away thinking now this is a band I want to see again and again.     

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 09, 2009, 02:19:27
Quote from: Descent on April 08, 2009, 19:13:11

I'm not sure I want to see them at 4pm in daylight...hum.

My first time seeing them was something like that, but then most bands played in daylight for Curiosa.  Even so, it was a fantastic gig.  :rocker   I walked away thinking now this is a band I want to see again and again.     

my first (and only) time seeing them was in 2006, in an hopelessly overcrowded club. it was summer, it was something like +45C inside and no air conditioning and so the place ran totally out of oxygen already during the support band. i can usually endure uncomfortable conditions pretty well but that was too much. i passed out during third or fourth song into mogwai's set and had to go outside for the major part of the show and then watch the rest of it from the bar (which was partially outside the club and you couldn't really see/hear that  much).
i really don't remember much at all about that show, all i have are a few blurry photos and a photo of a set list i took after the gig - but i didn't get hear half of those songs so i have no recollection of most of it :( :

so i really don't mind if it's outdoors and/or daylight this time. ;)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Descent

You both made me considering it now. :lol:
And sorry about your bad experience in 2006 jb. It makes me wonder about the security in those small overcrowded clubs.

japanesebaby

well if i got to choose i'd like to see them in a club but preferable in the winter. ;)
too bad they skipped coming here on their last tour. :(

Quote from: Descent on April 09, 2009, 11:34:43
And sorry about your bad experience in 2006 jb. It makes me wonder about the security in those small overcrowded clubs.

i think they simply used to sell too many tickets there sometimes in the past. i've been to some sold out concerts there last year and it was nowhere that bad.
then again, it might have been their air conditioning had failed that night or something. anyway, i was pretty annoyed that i missed most of the set. i usually don't leave mid-concert unless it's an absolute emergency, even for bands i don't care that much: if i've decided to go to a gig then i'll watch it through, no matter what.
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

jbud1980

i saw them during the curiosa festival when they opened for the cure and was quite impressed. can you recommend any songs?

crowbi_wan

Quote from: jbud1980 on April 11, 2009, 04:08:36
i saw them during the curiosa festival when they opened for the cure and was quite impressed. can you recommend any songs?

Hunted by a Freak

Killing All the Flies

Ratts of the Capital

Christmas Steps

Mogwai Fear Satan

Kids Will Be Skeletons

I'd recommend picking up a copy of Happy songs for Happy People.  Really solid album.  :rocker

Descent

Great picks. I could never get tired of Ratts of The Capital.  :smth023

I'd also recommend to have a listen to their last record : The Hawk is Howling (2008). Just wonderfully haunting. Probably my favorite one actually.

I'm Jim Morrison I'm Dead

Scotland's Shame

Batcat

jbud1980

Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 11, 2009, 17:18:59
Quote from: jbud1980 on April 11, 2009, 04:08:36

Hunted by a Freak

Killing All the Flies

Ratts of the Capital

Christmas Steps

Mogwai Fear Satan

Kids Will Be Skeletons

I'd recommend picking up a copy of Happy songs for Happy People.  Really solid album.  :rocker

Awesome! Thank you.  :smth023

lostflower4

Just saw these guys for the first time the other day:

http://www.youngteam.co.uk/brightlight/eng/gig110509.php

Truly an amazing experience, one of the best concerts I've ever been to. And I don't just say that about anything...

Ironically, it was also one of the cheapest concerts I've been to at a mere $17!  :shock:

Believe it or not, I had actually managed to avoid hearing their new album for almost a year now, just so that I could be surprised by some new songs when seeing them live.  I was only planning to wait until September of last year, but then their tour got postponed. Yet I somehow managed to push it out of my mind, and to be honest I hardly listened to any Mogwai after that.

Anyway, it was really refreshing to hear them once again, as well
as all the new songs that were genuinely new to me.

Quote from: jbud1980 on April 11, 2009, 04:08:36can you recommend any songs?

You can find a couple samples from my recording here:

Killing All the Flies

I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead

I would highly recommend seeing them on this tour. If anyone is on the fence about it, just do it — you won't regret it!  :!:

(And I suppose I should look into getting their new album...  :oops:)

dsanchez

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 13, 2009, 15:50:53
Truly an amazing experience, one of the best concerts I've ever been to. And I don't just say that about anything...

They are great. One of the loudest shows I have been, by the way.

Saw them last year in Paris, didn't know they were perfoming until a friend told me. I couldn't miss the chance

Couple of videos I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQsUK-EL-ug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHuLUTfMy4g

However, I wish I was in 1991-1993. Then I had the chance to see Slowdive, who were precursos in this kind of sound and music. Too bad they don't exist anymore. Sometimes I wish I could travel in a time machine.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Descent

Thanks for the video/audio clips.  :)
Funny video bit, david. Maybe that was the same person, completely in trance, who got to the front to try to shake Stuart's hand at some point. He actually provoked hilarity on stage ("what is he on ?"). :-D

Anyway, it was really refreshing to hear them once again, as well
as all the new songs that were genuinely new to me.

I also discovered the new songs live (back in October 2008) and that was a really great feeling. (On these days you can hear albums before they're released). I didnt know what to expect and I was even more impressed in the end.

lostflower4

Quote from: dsanchez on May 13, 2009, 19:42:18

They are great. One of the loudest shows I have been, by the way.

Oh yeah, I was going to say...

I've heard many many times that Mogwai is one of the loudest bands out there, and I was really expecting to be blasted away. But to be honest it wasn't even in the Top 10 loudest shows I've been to. Just a really average volume, and none of that mega bass you seem to get at most rock shows these days.

Anyway, that was fine with me. I think I have oversensitive hearing, because when things get really loud it all sounds like a bit distorted mess to me.  :? 

Descent

They're not as loud as they used to be. Which is fine. The loudest parts are loud enough. In the past, the sound volume was really an issue for them. They even got into a fight with a sound guy (interrupting a song) a few years ago. :lol: I also remember covering my ears when I saw them in 2006 on We're No Here. Unbearable.