Disintegration 3CD Deluxe Edition (2010)

Started by Janko, October 08, 2009, 19:00:07

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on May 30, 2010, 14:11:51
I think Join the Dots is somewhat overcompressed for the pre-1995 material, but not too bad. But after that, everything is just compressed like it was on the original releases (a lot).

So I would not be surprised if the treatment for a Wish remaster is decent, and then things go right back to the loudness war after that.  :roll:

this reminds me: i still haven't even opened my double vinyl of WMS, it's still in plastic. one of these days i will become curious enough to see if it's any worth opening or if it should have stayed in plastic so i could have sold it on ebay as 'mint'.
;)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

thehungrierghost

Hi guys! It's my first post but I've lurked around here for a while now.

The only real disappointment is the Entreat Plus mix, but as far as the other discs go they aren't too bad sound-wise. I think Disintegration has really benefited from remastering, just to get some of that haze and murkiness gone which plagues the original CD. I agree with another poster in that the remaster sounds a bit "warmer." The remastered album isn't too louder IMO and it's still enjoyable. Compared to the LOUD and fatiguing sound on 4:13 Dream, Disintegration's remastering is a masterpiece!   :smth023

scottm

Quote from: thehungrierghost on August 20, 2010, 01:06:22
Hi guys! It's my first post but I've lurked around here for a while now.

The only real disappointment is the Entreat Plus mix, but as far as the other discs go they aren't too bad sound-wise. I think Disintegration has really benefited from remastering, just to get some of that haze and murkiness gone which plagues the original CD. I agree with another poster in that the remaster sounds a bit "warmer." The remastered album isn't too louder IMO and it's still enjoyable. Compared to the LOUD and fatiguing sound on 4:13 Dream, Disintegration's remastering is a masterpiece!   :smth023

Hi thehungrierghost.

I've heard several folks complain like you have about the remastering of Entreat Plus.

What exactly did you think needed improving? I thought the entire Entreat Plus sounded pretty good. Of course, my opinion was seriously influenced by getting to hear those four missing songs!

I think I prefer the Dallas show which was streamed just before the release of Disintegration 3cd, but that's just because it's another soundboard Disintegration show which sounds different than the one I'd been listening to for the last two decades ;)
"But real lives are the reason why
we want to live another life." - Out of This World

dsanchez

Quote from: scottm on September 05, 2010, 10:06:47
I've heard several folks complain like you have about the remastering of Entreat Plus.
What exactly did you think needed improving? I thought the entire Entreat Plus sounded pretty good. Of course, my opinion was seriously influenced by getting to hear those four missing songs!
Hi Scott,

I didn't listen the remastered Entreat so I can't give an opinion, but you should take a look to this post where Adlib point out some aspects of this remaster :smth023
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

lostflower4

Quote from: scottm on September 05, 2010, 10:06:47I've heard several folks complain like you have about the remastering of Entreat Plus.

The thing that stands out the most is that Boris' drums are much lower in the mix and much duller sounding (with no effects, which is NOT what he sounded like that tour). Also, Porl's guitar is lower in the mix... I'll give that a pass as his levels were exaggerated on the original Entreat compared to the way the tour sounded. And well, the vocals, keyboards, etc. all have differences — albeit more subtle.

But yes, I think that the mixing/mastering on the Dallas '89 is a bit better, although still not completely representative of way the show originally sounded.

jbud1980

i still need to purchase this...

:roll:

scottm

Quote from: dsanchez on September 05, 2010, 11:32:02
Quote from: scottm on September 05, 2010, 10:06:47
Hi Scott,

I didn't listen the remastered Entreat so I can't give an opinion, but you should take a look to this post where Adlib point out some aspects of this remaster :smth023

Thanks David.

It seems most folks are complaining about at least the drums but this is the first complaint I heard of keyboards being out of sync with the rest of the music. Now I have to give it a listen...

And wow, this is the first time I came across discussion of "resung" songs on the remasters. I always thought it was strange that a full set of Blue Sunshine tunes were lying around with Robert doing the main vocals. But my ears were never sharp enough to actually detect that the vocals were recently resung. Now I have to go through all the songs listed in that thread to see what it sounds like.

Arggh! A fan's work is never done! :D

Your site rocks David.

scottm

Quote from: lostflower4 on September 05, 2010, 12:02:09
Quote from: scottm on September 05, 2010, 10:06:47I've heard several folks complain like you have about the remastering of Entreat Plus.

The thing that stands out the most is that Boris' drums are much lower in the mix and much duller sounding (with no effects, which is NOT what he sounded like that tour). Also, Porl's guitar is lower in the mix... I'll give that a pass as his levels were exaggerated on the original Entreat compared to the way the tour sounded. And well, the vocals, keyboards, etc. all have differences — albeit more subtle.

But yes, I think that the mixing/mastering on the Dallas '89 is a bit better, although still not completely representative of way the show originally sounded.

Thanks for your comments lostflower4.

Tomorrow I'll listen to the original and remastered Entreat to see if I can also pick out the differences you mentioned.

I usually like heavy remasters. For example, when Genesis put out 2007 remasters of their collection, they occasionally even used new vocal tracks altogether. (Unlikely to be resung because Phil's voice can't reach those high notes any more).

But I consider them alternate versions of the songs, not replacements. I think for the Cure remasters, I've been considering them replacements.