Interview on BBC6 music !!!

Started by Tof, April 06, 2006, 15:03:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Tof

Tof

monghi

transcripted by Kim88 from thecure.com:

Int - ?and almost as exciting as Betty Boo coming back, The Cure have just gone into the studio to work on the follow-up to 2004 self titled record, and for the 1st time in ages they?ve pledged to tour the U.K by the end of the year.
I caught up with Robert Smith after their Teenage Cancer Trust show at the Albert Hall in London, and asked him about the new material?

R.S ? The whole reason and the whole point of us being in the studio to record a new record, is because I think we have enough good songs for it to be worthwhile, and I?m hopeful that when people hear it, they will feel the same.

Int ? You mentioned playing in London again at the end of the year, is that gonna be a full on tour or?

R.S ? Um, Yea, we?ll be playing again in Um?October and November and December through Europe, so we will be back in London?whether its here or not I?m not sure, but we will be back in London.

Int ? And elsewhere in the U.K as well?....because the U.K. gigs are so rare for The Cure.

R.S. ? Yea, I know, its something that we?ll be talking about as we record, when we chunter to each other in between takes, there?s a reason for that, I mean, we grew up playing everywhere in the U.K?Um...but its through a number of reasons, we kind of (?)..I mean?the worlds a big place and it sounds really dumb, but, there?s so many places?The Cure were such an, um?international band so early on, that we didn?t feel that kind of compunction to play in ?Hull more than once, because we were gonna play in Wellington Museum, and, its not dumb, its like we had choices of where to play, and like, most bands play and play and play in the U.K. and then they go somewhere else, but we went somewhere else straight away so we could?quite seriously play every day of the year, you know all around the world, which wouldn?t be very healthy for us in our age, and the state that we were in, the way that we work where we play now is that we go places that either we haven?t been before, or places that we?ve been before that we?ve enjoyed, and I would personally like to play more shows in the U.K?. in fact, I would almost guarantee that we WILL play more shows in the U.K. on the back of the next album, because I felt that things have actually changed a lot for us in the U.K. in the last couple of years, I mean a lot of it?s media driven, that?s the difference, in the U.K. things are really media driven, and before the advent of digital radio in particular, its true there were one or two voices saying The Cure aren?t that good ? don?t bother going.
So you kind of think playing to a half full hall somewhere in the north of England is not that entertaining?when you know you can go to France and play?6 nights in the same size of venue, to a full house. So it?s pragmatic and its kind of married to the idea that?um?we are not given a fair pr?or haven?t been given a fair press up until the last 2 or 3 years. In fact a lot of new bands have come up and said that The Cure are a good band, and you know, its helped immeasurably, so, I?m sure if we went around the country now, we would have a similar experience to tonight, where we would have a very young audience actually, come to see who we are and what we do?which would be a good thing.
i never said i would stay to the end