'Pictures of You' TAC advertising campaign Australia

Started by kissingcrimson, February 20, 2008, 20:51:15

Previous topic - Next topic

scatcat

Quote from: revolt on July 01, 2008, 13:45:23
Quote from: soda on June 26, 2008, 05:12:59
I posted this in the 'saddest' post, but may go unnoticed.

There is a beautiful cover version of Pictures of You being used in a very sad commercial on Aussie TV about traffic accidents. Yes the stories are all actual cases.

www.picturesofyou.com.au click watch commercial after selecting band width

Agreed, it's a beautiful cover indeed. It's minimal in a very effective way, the simple piano chords and the soft girl voice...

sublime.. , yes, minimalist.  potent.. is how I can only explain the impact of the interpretation of the words.. I have never been so impressed by a cover of a Cure song... ( i usually hate them) .. but this one is  .. well... not only admirable, but  relevant and makes one take attention.
It is a campaign that has worked, is effective, and very touching.

Thanks Rob for allowing this to be used in such a campaign!

:smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

nausearockpig

i liked it. it moved me and kept me watching.

Janko

Even Robert Smith has to let go of his principles from time to time. In order to get the control back on the The Cure back catalogue he allowed the band's music to b used in adverts. Here's what Robert Smith had to say about this issue to the UK rag NME:

"Anyone who knows The Cure knows that the only reason I had to agree to those adverts was because we were about to be out of contract with Polydor and I had to. If I was going to retain control over our back catalogue my trade-off was giving the one song to use for an advert with no vocals, that was it, so we gave them "In Between Days" for Punto and Fiat and "Pictures Of You" for HP in America. There was no singing and no-one knew it was us, and that was fine. There was no campaign around it, nothing came off of it, we didn't re-release "In Between Days".

I'm so against music in adverts, it f*cking killed me even agreeing to that, but it was the only way. The money generated from those adverts went into buying me control on our back catalogue, otherwise it would have been like mortgaging the band. It sounds cynical, and it was at the time, but I suppose if I'm being really honest my ear was bent a little bit by a younger generation saying no one cares, no one cares, everyone does it, it doesn't matter any more, you're living in the past. Now I read that if you advertise this or use your music for that or you're advertising the iPhone that's fine because everybody does it, but it's not, I still don't think it is, I think it is wrong."

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=36843_0_2_0_C
Fatter than Bob, balder than Porl, as sober as Simon, as amusing as Jason

largeststarintheuniverse

Quote from: Janko on November 01, 2008, 09:40:46
Even Robert Smith has to let go of his principles from time to time. In order to get the control back on the The Cure back catalogue he allowed the band's music to b used in adverts. Here's what Robert Smith had to say about this issue to the UK rag NME:

"Anyone who knows The Cure knows that the only reason I had to agree to those adverts was because we were about to be out of contract with Polydor and I had to. If I was going to retain control over our back catalogue my trade-off was giving the one song to use for an advert with no vocals, that was it, so we gave them "In Between Days" for Punto and Fiat and "Pictures Of You" for HP in America. There was no singing and no-one knew it was us, and that was fine. There was no campaign around it, nothing came off of it, we didn't re-release "In Between Days".

I'm so against music in adverts, it f*cking killed me even agreeing to that, but it was the only way. The money generated from those adverts went into buying me control on our back catalogue, otherwise it would have been like mortgaging the band. It sounds cynical, and it was at the time, but I suppose if I'm being really honest my ear was bent a little bit by a younger generation saying no one cares, no one cares, everyone does it, it doesn't matter any more, you're living in the past. Now I read that if you advertise this or use your music for that or you're advertising the iPhone that's fine because everybody does it, but it's not, I still don't think it is, I think it is wrong."

http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=36843_0_2_0_C

I read that too, what the f*ck is Robert talking about when he says there was no singing in the commercials and nobody knew who it was?
In the HP Pictures Of You commercial he sings a couple of different lines with the words "Pictures Of You" in them.

NeverForget

Well, I've read this article too in my emails, and I was shocked...

The TAC campaign is something I accept and it's a good thing for sure...and as scatcat said it so so potent, with images and the cover version together that keep you watching and most of all make you think.

But this article is a different story. This time it's for commercials (so, money involved in this case) and I totally agree with what Robert says. They use a song very famous and connect it in our minds with a product to sell, so that we even remember the product when we hear the song. It's something we can't stop unfortunately, it's our mind and it seems to be the "sistem", our society, that doesn't allow to choose. Even Robert had to accept this, his reasons are unquestionable, I agree, but it's really sad you can't decide for your own stuff... :cry:

And I don't want to connect in my mind a product, an italian car (nothing against tha car but sh**, why In Between Days??!) or a pc (why Pictures of You here...) with those pieces of my life...haven't seen anything about those but I HOPE, I really hope it's without voice, at least...

It's the same with geffen...I think you've read The Guardian's article.
This is not right...it's unfair. :(
STILL RAINING STILL DREAMING...

"no-one will ever take your place
I am lost in you
no-one will ever take your place
so in love with you..."