2007.03.23 Miami - Bicentennial Park (USA) 'Ultra Music Festival'

Started by monghi, November 13, 2006, 00:39:19

Previous topic - Next topic

monghi

From miamiherald.com

On Friday night at downtown Miami's Bicentennial Park, headlining band The Cure -- whose eclectic catalog of music is commonly described as post-punk, Gothic-tinged '80s rock -- proved it's still relevant with a solid two-hour show.

The group, led by frontman Robert Smith and his Halloween hairdo, drew thousands of techno-loving dance fans -- many of whom weren't born during The Cure's true heyday -- away from lively sets by some of the biggest DJs in the world.

Smith had hinted recently that the band might throw together a one-time, beat-heavy show to reflect its surroundings at Ultra. But The Cure instead opted to offer ''musical relief'' from dance with a traditional tour through its greatest hits, some mainstream, some obscure.

Through it all, Smith, in his mid-forties, was a striking figure, his inimitable voice nailing every note.

For the casual Cure fan, all the big hits were represented: a somewhat subdued Pictures Of You; a raw, jagged Fascination Street; a driving Lovesong; a manic Hot! Hot! Hot! (the closest to a true dance tune The Cure would get on this night); a bouncy Friday, I'm In Love; a wistful Just Like Heaven; and a jangly Boys Don't Cry.

But it was the surprise song choices that made the night extraordinary -- The Walk, Push, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, The Big Hand, Lullaby, In Between Days and A Forest. Curiously, many of The Cure's signature synth riffs were performed on lead guitar -- capably so, but still an odd omission from the band's overall sweeping sound.
i never said i would stay to the end

[labyrinth]

Pictures Of You is fantastic.......
Robert's voice is GREAT...

and i like it, even though there are some keyboards part as backing tape (i think... i don't think Porl could play it when he is playing the guitar  :shock: )

dsanchez

Quote from: Tof on March 24, 2007, 15:24:31
Some pictures are available ...

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx

check also the new "Gallery" section for more pictures of this event ;)

Cheers

David.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: j on March 24, 2007, 05:02:20
Oh, and during Hot Hot Hot, there were 2 adorable girls ...... I could not keep my eyes off of those 2 all night!

you mean these nice girls?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o_tIDLAnzo

:smth030
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on March 26, 2007, 20:57:26
Quote from: j on March 24, 2007, 05:02:20
Oh, and during Hot Hot Hot, there were 2 adorable girls ...... I could not keep my eyes off of those 2 all night!

you mean these nice girls?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o_tIDLAnzo

:smth030

adorable or not but i just freaking hate it when people (usually some "nice girls") decide it's so cool to sit on some poor guy's  shoulders on shows: because nobody can't see shit behind them! and they always (always!) end up doing it right in front of me, even thought that was the only single person sitting on someone's shoulders in this or that show then it's always someone right  two rows front of me and once again i can't see shit!
and i'm not even a short person, i'm past 175 cm, if that's what you were thinking... but still i can't see shit because some idiots always do this - i thought it was an eighties thing (i hoped!) but it seems like it's coming back to fashion or something...!
:smth096
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

nausearockpig

that's annoying and strange behaviour for a The Cure concert..
stranger still was what i saw at the Brisbane 2000 show: There i was with my green hat towel hat that i lost at the show and my disposable camera [must look for those pics] three or four rows from the front [! it was ace by the way] and i look to my left and there's a girl on some guy's shoulders.. anyway, i look again and then out of nowhere she lifts her singlet up and shows Robert and Co. her breasts!!!

I thought two things:
1) what the fk? this isn't a metal show. why's she flashing the band? and
2) well you can probably guess what my second thought was....  :-D

Anyway Carnality aside, it struck me as very odd behaviour at that show... then again I've only seen the band once from the crowd [twice from allocated seating] so this could be normal behaviour I guess...

j

Nope, wasn't them.  There were 2 girls on shoulders about 15 people in front of me.  There were other girls right in front of me that kept throwing empty plastic beer bottles at them until they got the hint.  once they got down, there was a loud cheer around us

crowbi_wan

Quote from: nausearockpig on March 27, 2007, 00:28:44
anyway, i look again and then out of nowhere she lifts her singlet up and shows Robert and Co. her breasts!!!

what the fk? this isn't a metal show. why's she flashing the band?

Ah how I miss those trashy metal chicks.  I won't lie, they're the reason I first picked up a guitar.  :P

japanesebaby

Quote from: j on March 27, 2007, 02:05:07
There were other girls right in front of me that kept throwing empty plastic beer bottles at them until they got the hint.  once they got down, there was a loud cheer around us

great work from these bottle-throwing people, i love that!  :smth023 death to all these shoulder-riding idiots!   :smth077
(actually it's thankfully pretty much banned in many smaller festivals/venues at least out here, the security always singles them out pretty fast... i wonder how. ;))

Quote from: crowbi_wan on March 27, 2007, 02:45:26
Ah how I miss those trashy metal chicks.  I won't lie, they're the reason I first picked up a guitar.  :P
it must have been a tedious disappoinment for you, all the music that comes with it...  :roll:
(i wonder if you should even reconsider you callling?)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

Bloodflower

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 27, 2007, 07:34:06
Quote from: j on March 27, 2007, 02:05:07
There were other girls right in front of me that kept throwing empty plastic beer bottles at them until they got the hint.  once they got down, there was a loud cheer around us

great work from these bottle-throwing people, i love that!  :smth023 death to all these shoulder-riding idiots!   :smth077
(actually it's thankfully pretty much banned in many smaller festivals/venues at least out here, the security always singles them out pretty fast... i wonder how. ;))

it must have been a tedious disappoinment for you, all the music that comes with it...  :roll:

Aw... that's a little harsh. Though for the record I don't condone these shoulder-riders.
Another Curefan for The Dark Christmas album.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 27, 2007, 07:34:06

I put my guitar down for many years following high school.  Recently, well, a few years now I suppose, I've picked it back up.  More so for therapeutic reasons if anything.  My dreams of the big stage are long gone.  A coffee house near where I live is about as big as it gets for me.  Trashy metal chicks don't seem to hang out in coffee houses, though. 

j

Ozzfest is coming Brian....your chance to regain your youthful dreams! :rocker :rocker :rocker

curefanforever

Quote from: Tof on March 16, 2007, 16:46:36
Someone is going to Miami ....

curefanforever !!! I don't know if this is the same person from the curetrade forum but she is going !!!

Yes, Tof, I am the same person  :D  I went and the show was fantastic!!!!  Plus I was lucky enough to hear the set the night before at the sound check!!!!! 

The reason I don't post here often is b/c the site locks up on me or won't let me post  :( :(

Steve

Don't suppose there is a dvd of this yet is there?
Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php