Disintegration - songwriters?

Started by Poe, April 01, 2008, 10:06:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Poe

I keep hearing that Robert wrote six songs on the album, but the only songs I can find any info on are Untitled (written by Roger, but only the melody?) and Homesick (written more or less completely by Simon?).

Which song's melody (well, the skeleton of the song) and lyrics were written by what bandmember?

Pretty sure Robert wrote these "by himself":

Pictures of You
Lullaby
Lovesong
Fascination Street
Disintegration
and Plainsong...?
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

KingOfSomeIsland

Rodger O'Donnell wrote Homesick and Untitled

Poe

Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on May 15, 2008, 13:46:02
Rodger O'Donnell wrote Homesick and Untitled

I've read Simon wrote most of Homesick (music and lyrics?), where did you hear Roger wrote it? And do you mean Roger wrote the lyrics for Untitled as well as the melody?

This is from an interview called The holy hour, July 1989, by Jean & Philippe, for the French fanzine Three Imaginary boys (translated into English from French by Mad & Christine):

The sleeve of "Disintegration" and some songs like "Homesick" remind us of a solo album. Is it the kind of stuff that could have been released on a Robert Smith album ?

Robert: It couldn't. I didn't write "Homesick" and I didn't write the music too. It's another misconception. I mean, It's my own fault. Porl and Andy did the cover and they suggested putting me on the cover like drowning and I agreed to it at the time everyone said it was alright for me to go on the cover but it has caused problems within the group as well and in the papers. I'm being pushed more and more to the front now actually I don't think I am , I'm anymore in the front more than I ever have been. It's just there's just more written about us, there's just more pictures of me. It couldn't be a solo album at all.
Out of the 12 songs on the CD, I think I only wrote six musically.... "Untitled"... (to Simon) You wrote that one ? ...It was Roger. So it couldn't have been a solo album and if I'd done on my own it wouldn't have sounded anything like The Cure anyway apart from my own voice.

http://imaginaryboys.altervista.org/english/cure/articles/tib_holyhour.htm

Sounds like Homesick was the only song Rob didn't write the lyrics for, and the others wrote half of the songs "musically", as in melody-wise...???
I know this shouldn't be that important, who wrote the songs, but it would be nice to know...
[i]Betty said she prayed today
For the sky to blow away...[/i]

KingOfSomeIsland

oh i read that interview incorrectly.