2008.05.10 Philadelphia - Wachovia Spectrum (USA)

Started by dsanchez, June 22, 2007, 06:10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

j

Rodney-

Where are you staying?  If you are anywhere near center city, you can take the Broad Street subway line (I think it is the orange line- it's been years since I did it!) right to the Wachovia complex.  You can get the subway at a lot of places in Center City, including Market East and City Hall.

And the R1 is a cakewalk to get into center city.  Most out of towners don't even know about it because it isn't marketed very well at all.  Just follow the signs for the parking garage.  About halfway between security and the garage you'll see the steps down to the train platform.

If you let me know what airline you are coming in on (pm me if you feel safer) and I can give you more detailed info.  I am at the Philly airport EVERY Friday and Sunday, so I know that place very well!

j

excuse my ignorance but there are really seating tickets for the floor? no chance to dance at all?

YES!!!  Us lucky Americans mainly get reserved floor seating.  Austin is general admission, and it is a rarity!

DJscribbles

Quote from: j on May 05, 2008, 22:48:55
YES!!!  Us lucky Americans mainly get reserved floor seating.  Austin is general admission, and it is a rarity!

which im thankful for, had i still been living in houston or austin i mightve gotten the dancefloor. thankfully the show im going to has seats on the floor - when i saw them at the download festival in the shoreline amphitheatre - i had to STAND on my seat. tall people these days -_-
Every night I dream, and every day it comes true

j

Quote from: DJscribbles on May 05, 2008, 23:10:19

which im thankful for, had i still been living in houston or austin i mightve gotten the dancefloor. thankfully the show im going to has seats on the floor - when i saw them at the download festival in the shoreline amphitheatre - i had to STAND on my seat. tall people these days -_-

No kidding.  I'm 5'10" and rarely am I able to see a show from the floor unobstructed.  I always end up behind a descendant of curefans member Stef, who is something like 9'3" :lol:

DJscribbles

Quote from: j on May 06, 2008, 01:42:31
No kidding.  I'm 5'10" and rarely am I able to see a show from the floor unobstructed.  I always end up behind a descendant of curefans member Stef, who is something like 9'3" :lol:
whoa. at download i ended up sitting right behind the music director of the only alternative station here in the san francisco bay area.. it wa so awesome meeting him. only thing is - the entire row in front of me including him consisted almost entirely of guys 6 feet or more. of course amphitheatres have the seats inclining upward - but even that wasnt enough. being 4'11 sucks, especially when you really want to be on the floor. and once youre on the floor without seats you get pushed around. *sigh*. i love mosh pits, but not when people push you around outside of them.

im really in awe of these fans that are going to mutiple shows in the different states, even countries. that costs money.. i, or should i say my dad spend about $200 or more on a concert, either because its a festival or we cant buy tickets as soon as they come out - and have to wait a couple weeks before the event and get them off ebay where the sellers jack up the prices to ludicrous amounts. doesnt anyone on the forums do some contributing to a music blog or magazine or anyone publication like that? they could get a photo pass and sometimes a photo pass means free admission

rodney

We're staying near the airport at the Extended Stay Deluxe.  I figured out bus routes down to the historical area already.  Not sure how we'll get to the show.  Cab or something.  No big deal.

j

The press pass thing is tough to get, unless you work for a big publication.  For a few years, I wrote for a now defunct mag that was mainly dedicated to the Dead, computers, and other technology (great mix, huh?).  I did alot of new cd reviews and even did a phone interview with Beck that was never published, unfortunately. 

Anyway, in 2004, I was a couple years removed from the mag, but still had a relationship with them.  I pitched a story idea comparing the crowd, setlist, and atmosphere of Cure shows in Europe vs. shows in the US.  They liked the idea and gave me everything I needed to get a press pass for the SF 2004 show.  I contacted their management and PR person (through Daryl) and submitted everything.  I was more or less told that the mag didn't have a large enough circulation and that my request for a press pass was denied.

I ended up running into Perry and Jason in the audience before the show anyway.  Perry actually remembered me from 3 weeks before when I met them all backstage in Camden!

j

Quote from: rodney on May 06, 2008, 02:37:43
We're staying near the airport at the Extended Stay Deluxe.  I figured out bus routes down to the historical area already.  Not sure how we'll get to the show.  Cab or something.  No big deal.

I know exactly where you will be.  I guess it is about 5 or 6 miles from the venue.  Not bad for a taxi.  Just find out if there will be taxis after the show at the venue or if you need to call one.

A suggestion for getting downtown...see if the hotel has a free airport shuttle.  If so, take that to the airport, then get on the R1 to center city (Suburban Station).  Once you get to Suburban Station, you will be about a block from City Hall (the worlds tallest masonry building- they did not use steel to support the building- it is all rock!  It is the largest municipal building in the US).  I would suggest hitting South Street, between about 8th and 2nd street.  Great place to people watch.  Back in the day it used to be wall to wall punks!  Zipperheads (a shop on South street) was one of a very few places in the area where you could buy Doc Martens and Manic Panic hair dye, both staples of my youth.  I also used to live on 4th street, about 2 blocks behind Jim's Steaks.  In my opinion, if you are going to try a cheesesteak, go to Jim's at 4th and South. 

Joe

Quote from: DJscribbles on May 05, 2008, 23:10:19

Oh I know how you feel. I was at a Lou Reed show 2 weeks ago that was general admission and I'm only 5'8". The fellow standing in front of me was at least 6'1"  and for most of the show I was just peeking left and right over his shoulders until he finally moved off to the side haha.

DJscribbles

[quote author=Joe
Oh I know how you feel. I was at a Lou Reed show 2 weeks ago that was general admission and I'm only 5'8". The fellow standing in front of me was at least 6'1"  and for most of the show I was just peeking left and right over his shoulders until he finally moved off to the side haha.
[/quote]
haha, try being 4'11. with the the row in front of you almost completely made up of guys easily over 6 feet. amphitheatre seats  incline up, and i still couldnt see anything! but you get used to dancing on top of your seat after a while =)
Quote from: j on May 06, 2008, 02:44:11
The press pass thing is tough to get, unless you work for a big publication.  For a few years, I wrote for a now defunct mag that was mainly dedicated to the Dead, computers, and other technology (great mix, huh?).  I did alot of new cd reviews and even did a phone interview with Beck that was never published, unfortunately. 
Anyway, in 2004, I was a couple years removed from the mag, but still had a relationship with them.  I pitched a story idea comparing the crowd, setlist, and atmosphere of Cure shows in Europe vs. shows in the US.  They liked the idea and gave me everything I needed to get a press pass for the SF 2004 show.  I contacted their management and PR person (through Daryl) and submitted everything.  I was more or less told that the mag didn't have a large enough circulation and that my request for a press pass was denied.
I ended up running into Perry and Jason in the audience before the show anyway.  Perry actually remembered me from 3 weeks before when I met them all backstage in Camden!

i KNEW someone on here had to be involved in seomthing like that. how lucky you are!! very cool how Perry remembered you, they meet so many people, and three weeks can be a while. i miss perry in the band, i heard he was one of the sweetest members. i was actually offered to shoot the cure as well, which was my original plan - i never thought it would happen because as you said - its difficult and all the big press are lined up on the block to begin with. i was shocked to be freely offered, but i turned it down because a kid with a point and shoot will look AWKWARD in a pit full of photog pros.
how did you get backstage with the cure?! what did Beck say?! im very curious!

cure_kitty

Quote from: rodney on May 03, 2008, 16:13:37
Thanks!  I found that site last night.  Looks like we can take the bus down from the hotel to the historic district.  I think we'll be better off taking a cab to the show though.  If we take the bus, we'll still have to walk like 20 minutes or something. 

Hey rodney,
Glad to help!  Hope you're enjoying your visit to Philly.  :-D

cure_kitty

Almost show time!  Only about 7 more hours to go now.  I'm excited!!!  :smth023

Have fun & enjoy to all who are going!  :-D  I know I will! :)

TomKat

A little over three hours. What time do you think they will take the stage? How long of a show?

crowbi_wan

We are under way...

65dos began at the top of the hour.

crowbi_wan

The Cure have just taken the stage and started the night with 'Open'.  Check the first post in this thread for updates.