Jason Cooper - A study of his style

Started by DrumStudy, August 08, 2008, 05:16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your favourite The Cure drummer?

dsanchez

Quote from: dmscheuer on August 30, 2014, 02:03:21
Sheesh 'wish' I could have embedded the videos - sorry :P
make sure the URL does not have the "s" (of secured http) at the beginning.

In other words, this works
http://....
and this does not
https://...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

patitodark

Listen this intro for In between days...:

The Cure - Inbetween Days (Live 2004)

THAT must had shaken the other band member's brains...

dsanchez

Quote from: patitodark on September 04, 2014, 09:42:01
I like this one better - flawless:

The Cure - Inbetween Days (Live 1995)

I think Jason best time was from the time he started until around 2002...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Maybe it did. Perry & Roger left because of it... or maybe I remember that wrong.  :lol:
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

patitodark

Quote from: Ulrich on September 04, 2014, 13:40:42

Maybe it did. Perry & Roger left because of it... or maybe I remember that wrong.  :lol:

Haha yeah...

In his memories about recording Disintegration, Roger also wrote: "...  live on tour some nights it was great and others it was rubbish but that's the beauty of playing live. When you play with backing tapes it's always the same, it's always good, when you play live it has the opportunity to be fantastic and also to be rubbish. I know which I prefer and which most people prefer."

It's clear he hates -or hated- backing tapes (a.k.a. Jason Cooper).

Ulrich

Quote from: patitodark on September 04, 2014, 16:26:18

And that's your conclusion from Roger's "Disintegration" memories (when JC was still far away)? Alrighty...  :roll:

patitodark

Quote from: Ulrich on September 04, 2014, 16:59:52
Quote from: patitodark on September 04, 2014, 16:26:18

And that's your conclusion from Roger's "Disintegration" memories (when JC was still far away)? Alrighty...  :roll:

Do you know when these memories were written? :roll:
Have you ever read them?  :roll:   :roll:   :roll:   :roll:
:D

patitodark

Quote from: dsanchez on September 04, 2014, 13:22:27
I like this one better - flawless:

The Cure - Inbetween Days (Live 1995)

Those Yamaha drums were very punchy... also Jason's playing is better than today.

Quote from: dsanchez on September 04, 2014, 13:22:27

He did a very acceptable job in 1995 & 1996
In 1997 he began with that stiff style and overplaying the snare drum.
1998, the cardboard box drums entered in scene...
2000, backing tracks. The first thing that can be heard in Bloodflowers is a backing track.
From there on, Jason declined more and more.

dsanchez

Quote from: patitodark on September 04, 2014, 17:16:12
2000, backing tracks. The first thing that can be heard in Bloodflowers is a backing track.

I saw The Cure in 2002, then again in 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 and recently in 2014.

Besides 2008 (too many cymbals), and maybe 2005 (judging by the 'Festivals' video) I think Jason did it very good so far. He is still not my favorite The Cure drummer, but he is pretty OK. His drumming during the 'Reflections' show was excellent.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on September 04, 2014, 18:16:22
He is still not my favorite The Cure drummer, but he is pretty OK.

This "conclusion" I have read so many times now here, how many times will we have to repeat the same discussion again (and again... and again)?  :roll:

Quote from: patitodark on September 04, 2014, 17:12:22Have you ever read them?  :roll:

Yes. And I can prove it (if you would read & post on other topics in this forum instead of just this one, you might know already!):
http://curefans.com/albums-and-songs/why-does-the-cure-almost-always-change-their-line-up/msg760659/#msg760659

If your "theory" might be correct in any way, why did he come back to this (now) horrible band then?  :?

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on September 04, 2014, 18:24:43
He is still not my favorite The Cure drummer, but he is pretty OK.
This "conclusion" I have read so many times now here, how many times will we have to repeat the same discussion again (and again... and again)?  :roll:

well, it's a discussion forum and this is a *polemic* subject that comes back from time to time. I guess it will go on and on until The Cure ends or until they hire a new drummer.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

patitodark

Yes. And I can prove it (if you would read & post on other topics in this forum instead of just this one, you might know already!):
http://curefans.com/albums-and-songs/why-does-the-cure-almost-always-change-their-line-up/msg760659/#msg760659

Do you want me to look for and read YOUR posts and also memorize what you wrote? I'm so sorry, but that will not happen ;)

Really, your answer clearly implied that Roger wrote his memories before Jason joined the band, and that was wrong.

If your "theory" might be correct in any way, why did he come back to this (now) horrible band then?  :?

Time to ask him via Twitter maybe?

patitodark

Quote from: patitodark on September 04, 2014, 17:16:12

I saw The Cure in 2002, then again in 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 and recently in 2014.

Besides 2008 (too many cymbals), and maybe 2005 (judging by the 'Festivals' video) I think Jason did it very good so far. He is still not my favorite The Cure drummer, but he is pretty OK. His drumming during the 'Reflections' show was excellent.

I agree. He did a good job in Reflections but I still can't stand his repetitive fills of dahhhh--dah-dah-bum, or the other dah-dah-bum  dah-dah-bum  that he plays always in almost every -past & present- song.

dsanchez

Quote from: patitodark on September 04, 2014, 19:26:55
I agree. He did a good job in Reflections but I still can't stand his repetitive fills of dahhhh--dah-dah-bum, or the other dah-dah-bum  dah-dah-bum  that he plays always in almost every -past & present- song.

well, you need to start accepting the fact that he is the drummer of The Cure and that he is not leaving the band and that he is Robert's favorite drummer and the member with more years in the band after Robert and Simon, if I am correct. I understand you don't like him but I don't think this is going to change things :)
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

patitodark

Quote from: dsanchez on September 04, 2014, 20:16:25
Quote from: patitodark on September 04, 2014, 19:26:55

well, you need to start accepting the fact that he is the drummer of The Cure and that he is not leaving the band and that he is Robert's favorite drummer and the member with more years in the band after Robert and Simon, if I am correct. I understand you don't like him but I don't think this is going to change things :)

You're right... but he will also be the most infamous/hated/forgotten (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame) member of the band :)

In 2000 I went to a couple of shows and also was present at one of the soundchecks. While Jason was testing the drums, he played some things in the hi-hats and the toms that lead me think that he in fact is a guy with some drums skills BUT his style definitely is not for The Cure. While he focused on fast rolls and things, Boris was more into long, musical drum rhythms.

I can easily imagine If Only Tonight We Could Sleep or One More Time or A Thousand Hours with drum patterns like the ones in Anniversary or Treasure, if Jason were the drummer for Kiss Me x3.   :?