Jason Cooper - A study of his style

Started by DrumStudy, August 08, 2008, 05:16:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your favourite The Cure drummer?

Ulrich

Quote from: patitodark on September 04, 2014, 18:44:44
Do you want me to look for and read YOUR posts and also memorize what you wrote?

No, but if you read & post elsewhere than just in ONE single topic, you might know a little more about the users in this forum...

Quote from: dsanchez on September 04, 2014, 20:16:25I understand you don't like him but I don't think this is going to change things :)

Well, at least he has tried.  :lol:
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

patitodark

Quote from: Ulrich on September 04, 2014, 20:41:17
No, but if you read & post elsewhere than just in ONE single topic, you might know a little more about the users in this forum...

1. haha yeah, maybe I should visit the "Happy Birthday Jason Cooper", "Jason talked to me", "Jason solo project" threads too  :lol:

Quote from: Ulrich on September 04, 2014, 20:41:17
Well, at least he has tried.  :lol:

2. Wrong again, like when you said that Roger wrote his memories when Jason didn't even join the band :lol:

I know you will enjoy this video ;)

http://youtu.be/NXCMkz4qZP0

The guys at Zildjian must be happy with him:

patitodark

Another great song spoiled by Jason... what is Robert saying to Simon?
"I should've hired Mark Price" maybe :D

http://youtu.be/AT8B9V10Nbs

Ulrich

Quote from: patitodark on September 04, 2014, 21:37:21Wrong again, like when you said that Roger wrote his memories when Jason didn't even join the band :lol:

I never said that. I just doubted your theory that Roger's memories (about a time before JC joined!) implied that he hates or hated JC. (Is there any hint in any Roger interview about him hating JC? Especially from the same time, when he was out of the band and had nothing to "lose" when slagging off his former bandmates?)

Roger's words were "I prefer" not "I hate" (i.e. he prefers one thing, does not necessarily mean he "hates" the other thing). So for you to conclude he hates something or even someone remains very far-fetched.  :?

strange_day

Quote from: patitodark on September 04, 2014, 21:39:01
Another great song spoiled by Jason... what is Robert saying to Simon?
"I should've hired Mark Price" maybe :D

http://youtu.be/AT8B9V10Nbs

Actually Robert messed that one up, made a chord change early. Jason came in at the right time.

patitodark

http://youtu.be/4quvnweBh1A

Fast forward to 02:15 and watch Jason's left hand. There is no need to be a musician or drummer (though it would help a little more), to notice that he is not thinking/playing like a rock drummer who plays steady single quarter note beats, instead  he is doing that annoying - Jason's trademark - funky beat! So, in his mind he is playing funk or fusion or jazz or only God knows what!

Really, this video clearly reveals more about his weaknesses and his approach when composing drum pats... also reveals something about why his playing style doesn't fit The Cure.

dsanchez

So many (negative) comments on Jason under The Cure's cover of The Beatles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDxDW9jEjHg#t=150

I think some people here will enjoy reading that :?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Matti

Where's that popcorn smiley when you need it?
and we close our eyes to sleep
to dream a boy and girl
who dream the world is nothing but a dream

dsanchez

just added it to the emoticons panel! popcorn
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

well, I was reading several comments in this topic, and yes, there's definitely certain fascination of Jason for the cymbals:

Secrets live 1985 (only guitars at the beginning, just like in the album)

The Cure - Secrets, The Head Tour 1985 (total repertoar)

Secrets live 2011 (intro with guitars and cymbals at the beginning)

THE CURE - secrets - London - Reflections / seventeen seconds - 15.11.2011

however, I personally prefer the more slow 2011 version (which is closer to the album), but yes, I would take the cymbals out at the beginning...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

cheyler

As it is often said, 'ignorance is bliss', especially when it comes to music and musicians and not knowing certain things about playing music (as Ulrich said in his previous post).

Looks like Jason is going to turn out to be (hell, he is already) one of the longest-serving members of The Cure, third longest after Robert and Simon.  With all the complaining about Jason, I figure that with Robert as the final arbiter when it comes to how he feels The Cure is best presented to the public both live and in the studio and the fact that he has displayed solid personal integrity in the past, he must feel Jason is a damn fine drummer and perfectly suitable and a perfect fit for The Cure.

He'll be with us for a long while yet, which means The Cure will be with us for a long while yet!

dmscheuer

Okay - i stepped back for a few days, but with the argument on YouTube over "Hello Goodbye" (which I actually like - even though I agree with Dsanchez in that it sounds like they're playing in a pub) I feel I need to add another point.

I held on to this for a few days, but in this performance from last week - Jason manages to make a 'Jason' track worse live with incessant cymbals. Look and listen to this version of 'Want'
The Cure - Want (Toronto Riot Fest 09-06-14)

And with regards to patitodark's post about "It's Over" - during the intro at around 0:09-0:12 Jason looks like he isn't even sure which crash cymbal to hit!

I know Ulrich will jump in about how 'boring' this is, but if I didn't care about the band, I WOULD stop listening to them and wouldn't care one way or another. But the problem is I do care, and even though it's been nearly 20 years, I feel Robert has made, and continues to make, a terrible mistake with his band - a band I love, unfortunately.

MeltingMan

I think it's remarkable,that a long time member of the group has been attacked of that kind,
without the "desired" result and that over years (!).Hmm...
Even patitodark said,that he improved his style.I mean the whole subject developed an
obsessive character and that's a bit unfair.
All in all I can share Ulrich's view.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on September 14, 2014, 10:24:32I mean the whole subject developed an obsessive character and that's a bit unfair.

It has indeed. I must ask those people to refrain from mentioning my name in those posts (thus trying to provoke me to react), especially if I haven't posted for a good while... (I will comment if I ever find anything worth commenting, don't worry.)

Quote from: dsanchez on September 12, 2014, 17:24:09
So many (negative) comments on Jason under The Cure's cover of The Beatles

You do read youtube comments? Nothing to do with Cure, but I never read those anymore, since there's not enough moderating, thus any troll can comment any kind of rubbish... this happened with many yt vids, so I stopped reading those a long time ago.

patitodark

Can't Jason look for videos in YouTube and watch how the original drummers play to their songs?

Can any person in his right mind think that the new drum intro for Caterpillar has some kind of good musical taste? cymbals all over the place on top of those chaotic hits on the toms. It's so obvious that Jason can't catch the soul of the songs from the past catalog and he doesn't care to play them right!

http://youtu.be/Cbcjy4Wfcdk

Now compare sound and performance:

http://youtu.be/VYWcCRhdClY