Simon Gallup no longer in The Cure? (False)

Started by dsanchez, August 14, 2021, 22:43:22

Previous topic - Next topic

MeltingMan

Quote from: SueCAnd by the way, is that a hammock on your own avatar, @MeltingMan?

It's a (symbolist) painting by Thomas Theodor Heine, Die Hängematte, 1892. (Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlg.) Sorry for going off topic. 😬
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Did anyone ever have a look at that FB "profile" by this "Simon Gallup"? I did today and the photos there are a very bad joke. Even an amateur like me can see that they are pics found on the internet!?

P.S.: In my humble opinion, to the title of this topic should be added a questionmark... because it is very questionable.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

pyota

SueC

Honestly, that could be about anything; like a horoscope, you can just choose to read it for a particular situation and read what you like into it. Confirmation bias is really common and we should work on training ourselves out of it - people have a tendency to interpret ambiguous data in ways that support their personal beliefs/fears, and to cherry-pick arguments in favour of their own world views.

I don't know why people can't just sit this one out and wait until there's some kind of clear and official statement about the situation, before becoming all emotional about this. (This isn't a comment directed at anyone specific in this thread, it's a general comment about how lots of people are responding, because I've gone and looked at the Curefans Twitter stream and various others and honestly...opinions and hunches aren't facts, not with anti-vax and not with this situation either.)

Two obvious possible reasons you just might have to be patient: 1) Because if there is a situation to sort out it will take time - and human situations often take a lot of time; and 2) Because if this was someone's practical joke, if you're bloodyminded enough you just might find it entertaining to see how people respond - and maybe create a bit of a life lesson for jumpers-to-conclusions.

I'm an educator so that's why I've thrown in (2) - it's commonly used in classrooms to foster critical thinking, and if you can get a person to recognise they were wrong about something they thought was a sure thing, they usually become more motivated to examine their own mental processes and tighten things up a bit. So in that sense a situation like this could become a public service. Again, not assigning probabilities here.

A couple of comments appeared on a Twitter page attibuted to Simon Gallup. They may be by him or not. If they were by him, there may be a situation and it may still be developing, and people may be trying to sort it out, in which case the general public isn't privy to that and nor should we be. And I think in that case the most helpful and respectful thing the general public could do is to back off, and get on with something positive that's going to make life better for themselves and other people.
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

I was told by an internet friend that he has friends in common with the Simon Gallup on FB and they confirmed it really was him. Make of that you will.

Still, I wonder why he uses "net-pics" on his FB and what all this talk of "betrayal" is supposed to mean?  :?

SueC

Quote from: Ulrich on August 17, 2021, 09:16:05I was told by an internet friend that he has friends in common with the Simon Gallup on FB and they confirmed it really was him. Make of that you will.

Still, I wonder why he uses "net-pics" on his FB and what all this talk of "betrayal" is supposed to mean?  :?

Re the photos: I'm thinking that if you're a public figure and privacy is a significant issue for you, you would perhaps want to make a distinction between your private images and already public images. If there's already enough public images to wallpaper a page and you don't want to get arty about it, then you don't have to put any of your non-public personal images into a public space. It may be about drawing boundaries that feel important when your face is already plastered all over the place no matter how you feel about it. That would be one possible explanation.

If they were genuine posts, then that looks like the kind of impulsive thing people do when they're angry, hurt etc and not thinking through the repercussions that might happen because of it - like huge volumes of public speculation and emoting - which by the way, IMO aren't the responsibility of either Simon Gallup or the band to address at this stage - but I do think it's the responsibility of the public to rein in their nosiness about the situation and give people space. It's like if you're a couple and have a tiff at a party; you don't have to send everyone at the party explanations afterwards and detail what marriage counselling you are undertaking etc. We simply don't owe our inside stuff to other people, no matter how curious they might be (even if we did slip up in public).

The kind, respectful, helpful thing the onlookers could do is to give the people concerned space and privacy to sort through the things they need to sort through - and to get on with positive, constructive things of their own. Not to beleaguer them with questions and demands for explanations and a front row seat to private situations that need to be resolved in private - as many people on social media are unfortunately doing.

This, by the way, is an attitude of love. Love is not about having to have a piece of someone, or demanding stuff from others, it's not "I can't live if you don't satisfy me."  It's about kindness and respect, and working on our own stuff, and letting other people work on theirs.

Meanwhile, we've got a Schrödinger situation, but not with a cat.  ;)
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

Quote from: Ulrich on August 17, 2021, 09:16:05I was told by an internet friend that he has friends in common with the Simon Gallup on FB and they confirmed it really was him. Make of that you will.

Assuming he has actually left The Cure, then he must / will have valid reasons and have resolved this amicably with RS. Who could seriously come up with this "bomb" and then communicate with the rest of the world in that form?! That's ... shabby. Simon is not 'just anyone'. So it is time to get things straight. 🙁

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on August 17, 2021, 11:03:37Who could seriously come up with this "bomb" and then communicate with the rest of the world in that form?! That's ... shabby.

I can't help but agree here. I'm assuming he has Robert's phone number (and other band members')! Then posting accusations of "betrayal", without going into detail, is not the thing to do in public. (IF it was Simon, which is more doubtful now.)

The band will probably remain quiet for the moment, until things are more clear and perhaps "official".

SueC

We might have to remember that no matter how old we get, we're still human and we still make mistakes, especially on impulse when we're rattled. Thank goodness my own life and my own mistakes and times I could have handled things better aren't under the public microscope like this. So I'm not going to judge a person on the basis of a couple of offhand Twitter posts that may have been made in distress or after too many pints of beer or whatever. (If he indeed posted these comments.) I think you'll find the Twitter page is now entirely deleted.
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

Quote from: SueC on August 17, 2021, 12:11:42So I'm not going to judge a person on the basis of a couple of offhand Twitter posts

I do not judge Simon until it is clear who is putting such news into the world and why. It's all about this.

Ulrich

Someone has drawn my attention the fact that the post on Simon's FB is gone now.

Not sure why it's been removed, but take it all with a pinch of salt...

dsanchez

Quote from: SueC on August 15, 2021, 13:54:17it's unlikely to mean all of them are going to stop making music in all forms

curefans don't care too much about solo-projects :)

Reeves, Roger, Robert himself all have side-projects, collaborations etc. We are all here because of The Cure, and once they are gone, it's like a part of our lives vanishing forever.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on August 16, 2021, 17:05:14Did anyone ever have a look at that FB "profile" by this "Simon Gallup"? I did today and the photos there are P.S.: In my humble opinion, to the title of this topic should be added a questionmark... because it is very questionable.

Why questionable? Simon himself published this in his own Facebook (yes, his Facebook account, not a fake account), what other proof do we need? The only reason why this was published in the "Unconfirmed news and rumours" board is because there's no official announcement of the band themselves yet.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Pearl Thompson on Simon's departure:

Quote✷Time for another history rewrite...
and The Special wording to slip between the lines
another step into your own mind
a perfect truth for the blind
while others drown in tired promises and undefined lines
artistic freedom wins over in the end
even after we have all gone
your lies and betrayal flitter in the dust
making the only tears i shall shed

(...even Bootsy Collins said he was one of the best!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSpFkD6IBPk/
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Rezortine

So, to sum up:
- I don't understand why people thought it's not Simon's real profile. It is his real profile and he really posted that. The reason, why he has almost no photos there - Simon is already in his 60ies, he can't be professional influencer and post photos like most of the teenagers 24/7;
- the fact about his departure was confirmed also by Lily (his daughter);
- no, Lol is not buying a bass (why the hell he would be) - it was just joke by Roger;
- Pearl hinted the departure with his IG post.
HOWEVER:
- Simon has deleted the status. That means he might changed his mind. That would also explain why The Cure or Smith himself hasn't given any official statement - because it was still being discussed. Simon just probably acted hot-headed and wrote the status, Roger joked about it, probably because he knew that the departure wasn't on table.

And that's quite it.