mostly everybody like love song

Started by FarFar, August 04, 2007, 06:21:04

Previous topic - Next topic

SueC

I have to say, I don't generally like pop music, and the reason I am a very "late" fan to this band's music (via a random encounter with the Bloodflowers album on a borrowed iPod) is because most of the radio stations in this part of Australia tended to play only their pop numbers, from the 80s onwards (and from the 90s on I wasn't in places with good alternative radio stations anymore...not that I heard any Cure songs on the Perth alternative stations in the 80s either...).  There's nothing wrong with the way Lovesong or Just Like Heaven are constructed or performed, it's just that this genre really doesn't appeal to me personally at all.

I do partly concur with an earlier comment, in that the lyrics of both songs seem to me to flirt dangerously close to the edge of co-dependency, and that makes me uncomfortable, because co-dependent relationships are anything but fun (from experience - both family of origin and early romantic relationships).  I can point out exactly why I think that if anyone wants me to, but I suspect many adults can see this for themselves.  Notice I say "flirts dangerously close to the edge" rather than "is in the territory of" because it's not a clearcut case like, for example, the Cranberries song Linger, which, beautiful though the song is musically, is definitely a very dysfunctional take on love with little to redeem it thematically.

On the other hand, both of these Cure songs also contain lyrics with nice sentiments that are espoused in many healthy relationships as well, and I think it's a good thing to see a male from a culture where males are generally encouraged not to express such sentiments openly express such ideas - I think that's nice role modelling for other males who are brought up in cultures that attempt to amputate certain valuable aspects of their humanity.

As songs about romantic relationships etc go, I actually prefer the song High to both Lovesong and Just Like Heaven - and prefer This Twilight Garden, Chain Of Flowers, Apart, Catch, 2 Late, Jupiter Crash, Out Of This World, There Is No If, The Loudest Sound (brilliant example of how not to do it) and The Only One to all of the above.  I could probably think of a few more if I sat here long enough; this band has so many good songs on this and other topics.  I also think that the lyrics have generally improved as these people have gotten older and wiser, and that their later songs about love are more mature, and therefore more relatable to us - we're in our late 40s, and got married in our mid-30s, by that point well beyond a lot of the traps that can catch you out when you're younger and less experienced at life and love.  When you get to that point, you tend not to be crazy about songs whose lyrics remind you of the mistakes you made and the trainwrecks you had in consequence.

Considering I really don't like pop in general, it's unusual that I actually don't mind Lovesong or Just Like Heaven when they do get played live.  Then, they are part of a balanced set, and I usually prefer live anyway.  Whether or not you're a fan of a particular genre, when it's performed really competently live it's often worth seeing at least once, in my book - and in a live performance, there's all sorts of interesting other stuff happening that you don't get playing a CD.  :)
SueC is time travelling

word_on_a_wing

It's interesting to read this, as I was thinking some similar things (apart from The Only One, you know my views on that one 🤮😂)
Ok back on track 😆...
I will admit (*drumroll*)... I do not like Just Like Heaven.
...well perhaps that's a bit harsh. I certainly don't love it, but it's ok, but I experience it as quite boring to be honest. ...but Pictures of You ...that is another story, musically divine, inspiring of my awe! 😍
It's funny how perspective can vary on it though. Someone else may read this and disagree, thinking JLH is the best thing they've done.  There was an interview recently where the interviewer seemed to hold that view, and the way it was written made it sound like the interviewer assumed it was a truth (that JLH was the best track they've ever done) ...I'm not sure why I don't see/feel it the same?...
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

OMG, @word_on_a_wing, is that a vomit emoji?  :cool  Where did you get that?  My "home forum" has some really cool emojis I'd love to use here, such as a person hiding under a chair, animated emojis of a person with love hearts circling around their head, a person jumping up and down with love hearts shooting up into the sky, a person rolling on the floor laughing, a person hacking at a violin with their eyes raised to the sky, a happy person running to and fro with excitement, plus various really effective shocked emojis, an assortment of chickens, a TARDIS, and other visual aids to effective communication.  :)  Unfortunately I have been unable to import any of them. (But here's the link to the page that lets you see them! https://www.horseforum.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&editorid=vB_Editor_001)

I'm going back to my smorgasbord analogy - we don't all have to love everything that the one kitchen has produced and piled on the tables; it's enough that we find plenty of things we personally really like and that will be good nutrition for us, without having to eat everything.  And, it's obviously really good that different people's tastes are catered for, so that a diversity of people can all find something to enjoy, instead of everyone having to eat McDonalds. 🤮  Plus, such a spread of different things is good for broadening people's tastes as well - they just might be encouraged to try something they've not eaten previously, and even if they don't take to it themselves, will better appreciate how others might really enjoy it.

All part of the great tapestry etc. ;)

PS:  I stole your vomit emoji!  Bwahahaha!
SueC is time travelling

word_on_a_wing

"OMG, @word_on_a_wing, is that a vomit emoji?"

I'm using an iPhone and when the keypad is up there is a button on bottom left of keypad with a smiley- I click on that and it opens to heaps of emoji options.

I like the moving emojis on your site, haven't seen many of them before.
Gosh imagine another 20yrs from now... perhaps it will get so developed there will be less need for words at all ...scary thought 😱
Now looking through the emojis and I just found a Bowie one!👨🏼‍🎤
"Where the flesh meets the spirit world,
Where the traffic is thin..."

SueC

Quote from: word_on_a_wing on October 25, 2019, 15:47:32I'm using an iPhone and when the keypad is up there is a button on bottom left of keypad with a smiley- I click on that and it opens to heaps of emoji options.

Aha!  :smth023   I'm too much of a troglodyte to use an iPhone until they are absolutely forced on me, and even then, I might choose to go back to smoke signals instead!  :beaming-face  Just a personal thing.  Additional emojis do sound handy.  And yep, I do love those animated ones on the link above, they add a completely different dimension to talking to other people online.  You wouldn't believe what combinations people come up with, the subtext some of them start to carry, and how you can almost communicate in them as you would in pictorial alphabets!

QuoteGosh imagine another 20yrs from now... perhaps it will get so developed there will be less need for words at all ...scary thought 😱

Mmmmh, maybe people will just be grunting at each other and waving emojis about.  Sort of like in caveperson days, except with emojis!   :1f632:

QuoteNow looking through the emojis and I just found a Bowie one!👨🏼‍🎤

Haha! :)  Work hard all your life, and you might get a personal emoji - or have an element named after you.  The elements are pretty much taken now though...
SueC is time travelling

piggymirror

Quote from: Bloodflower on August 04, 2007, 08:06:04Lovesong has always had a much darker tint to it for me than others, most of whom seem to regard it as a bit of fluff. It speaks of a desperate state, to me.

Indeed.
The sadness is inherent to the music and the vocals of Lovesong... but not the lyrics.
This must mean something.

Quote from: Bloodflower on August 04, 2007, 08:06:04Though very, very far from my favourite song off Disintegration, Lovesong does have a place in my heart.

If and when you remember your literature lessons at school, and particularly if you've gone a bit further than that, it is easy to discern that the lyrics are NOT cheese, because they interact with the music.

Then, you can try and turn the lyrics around, and then the lyrics make much more sense with the music.

Such as:

Whenever I'm alone with you
You never make me feel like I am home again
You never make me feel like I am whole again

You never make me feel like I am young again
You never make me feel like I am fun again

However far away
I will never love you
However long I stay
I will never love you
Whatever words I say
I will never love you
I will never love you

You never make me feel like I am free again
You never make me feel like I am clean again

However far away
I will never love you
However long I stay
I will never love you
Whatever words I say
I will never love you
I will never love you

Now it makes a bit more sense, doesn't it?

It matches the vocals and the music much better than the "happy" lyrics.

However, this is supposed to be, er... a love song, so perhaps it deals with some subtext that is only in the mind of Robert and perhaps Mary or somebody else, and this is something we will never know.

But to me, the sad music and vocals against the happy lyrics make a strange and beautiful contrast.