FLAC Decoding Problems

Started by B.DEE, October 12, 2007, 22:32:45

Previous topic - Next topic

lostflower4

Quote from: j on November 04, 2007, 03:36:31
You can also download traders little helper.  Google it and you can get a free download.

For those who are lazy:

http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205

Definitely a great program.  :smth023

scatcat

thankyou CureFreak,J, and lostflower.. I am still stuck in the middle of downloading, so I'll give these a go.  :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

japanesebaby

Quote from: Cure Freak on November 03, 2007, 22:22:21
Quote from: scatcat on November 03, 2007, 20:34:43
okay.. can anyone help me here.. I can successfully download flac files to my recently acquired winamp.. but mediaplayer does not recognise them and won't play them.. is there anything i can do to copy the files to media player in music library there??

i have not a clue what to do?
Sara, you will need to convert the flac files to WAV or mp3 format.

well, there really should be no need to convert to anything. i mean, the great thing about flac is that one can archive everything directly as flac, without having to convert/temper with the files in anyway. :!:
by the way this also minimizes all kinds of risks of error etc. that are prone to happen when converting or especially when burning .wav on cd (which is very common and has ruined/flawed a lot of stuff out there). continuous converting between formats can really cause errors - not to mention that converting to lossy means pretty much game over.

so i'd say you look straight into TLH. good luck, i'm sure it works for you! :smth023

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

japanesebaby

Quote from: lostflower4 on October 17, 2007, 19:24:28
What's up with .flac files suddenly become .txt files?  :smth017

well i've noticed pretty much since day one when i switched over to mac. some flac files downloaded from some hosting sites always turned out like this, .txt extension got added at the end of the file name. then again, this certainly never ever happens with flac downaloded from for instance torrent sites.so maybe it could be somehow connected to one's browser? i've pretty much always used safari so i don't know if this happens with any other browsers(?). i don't know what B.DEEs using.
then again, it never happened with every hosting site/ftp anyway, so i've no certain idea of the reason behind it.  :smth017

Cure Freak

Quote from: japanesebaby on November 04, 2007, 07:02:46
Quote from: Cure Freak on November 03, 2007, 22:22:21
Quote from: scatcat on November 03, 2007, 20:34:43
okay.. can anyone help me here.. I can successfully download flac files to my recently acquired winamp.. but mediaplayer does not recognise them and won't play them.. is there anything i can do to copy the files to media player in music library there??

i have not a clue what to do?
Sara, you will need to convert the flac files to WAV or mp3 format.

well, there really should be no need to convert to anything. i mean, the great thing about flac is that one can archive everything directly as flac, without having to convert/temper with the files in anyway. :!:
by the way this also minimizes all kinds of risks of error etc. that are prone to happen when converting or especially when burning .wav on cd (which is very common and has ruined/flawed a lot of stuff out there). continuous converting between formats can really cause errors - not to mention that converting to lossy means pretty much game over.

she will have to ,if she wants them added and played with windows media player.
and your welcome sara.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Cure Freak on November 04, 2007, 13:41:03
she will have to ,if she wants them added and played with windows media player.
and your welcome sara.

sure. i just meant that since we do have lots of different media players to choose from, it's actually a lot more practical to use a media player that plays all the formats. because if nothing more, that simply saves a lot of time in a long run.
i'm running on mac with which iTunes "should" be some sort of default option for a media player, but i hardly ever use it at all because it doesn't play flac (and not just flac but also some other audio formats either). so for the same reasons i don't see windows media player as a practical option with pc. it's too limited.

scatcat

wow.. finally done!! well, I originally downloaded winamp, thanks to help form this site.. because my Windows mediaplayer would not play the flac files..

I am quite happy with the winamp and flac files, it is great sound!  so I guess maybe, as japanesebaby put it.. there should be no need to change them back, I just thought i might have all music in one place.. but i don't want to loose anything from the flac files by converting them back .. after spending the weekend getting the flac in the first place.. i might just not touch them at all.. I would like to try maybe to burn them so as i don't loose them in case my PC crashes or tragedy strikes. all i have ot do now is work out how to use the winamps functions!!

this, i'll leave for another weekend!!  :shock:

thankyou all for your help and input.. eternally!! :rocker

Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

Cure Freak

yw Sara.
But, I didn't, really see the point in using media player, if you have winamp, anyway.

I,only, use my converter program, so I can convert the files to WAV format, to be able to burn onto cd.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Cure Freak on November 04, 2007, 16:53:58
I,only, use my converter program, so I can convert the files to WAV format, to be able to burn onto cd.

this is related to what i meant what is so good about flac:

when flac files are converted to .wav and burned to cd, it's prone to burn errors (many common burning programs actually cause small errors all the time without ever reporting them...). then let's say these cds are re-ripped at some point and converted back to flac (in order to be shared again) - or, let's say another cd copy is burned directly from the first cd copy. again, all this very often and very easily causes errors.
so all i was saying that when this is done multiple times (flac converted to .wav and then burned to cds, cds being ripped, burned, ripped etc. etc.): it's almost impossible to avoid copies with notable errors going into circulation. this used to be a real problem in the "pre-flac" times when people traded/exchanged audio cds.
but when shows are archived/shared in original flac sets without converting/burning/ripping/etc., this practically removes the possiblities for any such common errors. that's because flac are data files, unlike .wav. :!:
and i think that's why pretty much everything and everyone seems to run with  flac these days anyway, both trading and sharing world included. it's much safer, copies made from flac files are actually identical copies - unlike cd copies.

so what i mean is that in the long run it's a lot more practical not to convert back and forth at all.
besides, converting/ripping cds is only more or less safe only if one uses safe programs like EAC (EAC for pc and or max for mac os x).
but why even take the risk?

Cure Freak

maybe, i should just locate a reliable burning program that does flac format.

japanesebaby

Quote from: Cure Freak on November 06, 2007, 00:06:54
maybe, i should just locate a reliable burning program that does flac format.

but that's just another great thing about flac: since flac is a data format so you don't need a special audio burning program, like when burning .wav. burning .wav is so tricky/prone to errors just because of that need for a specific program - and because most of those programs are simply not very good/reliable.
but you can just burn the flacs like you burn any other data cd/data dvd!

Cure Freak

sorry for being such a dunb ass. but i'm new to this flac format.
and thanks ,japanesebaby.

scatcat

Quote from: Cure Freak on November 06, 2007, 12:56:18
sorry for being such a dunb ass. but i'm new to this flac format.
and thanks ,japanesebaby.

hey, no, d*b ass, just like me... I thought I was the dumb ass :shock: learning different formats, updated formats, and what will be the ultimate format for maintaining and keeping music files that [ I have spent a weekend downloading.. thus causing a migraine!!]

If Windows Media Player( which came with my PC package, and had really no practical use for before,.. cannot read flac files.. then , we need something else. I was TOTALLY unaware of this technical stuff until a very helpful Curefan moderator gave me advice... now that my migraine has gone, I'll try to see what I can actually do with the winamp program.. cos my media player does not recognise the format. wav., mp3,etc.. seem to be old..  I'll get back on this topic when I have BRAIN power to see how winamp goes as far as transferring flac files!!  :smth023 
p.s.. I am new to just about every technology!! .. I am soo happy I am not alone..  :smth001
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life

riseandreverberate

There's a few plug-in's for Windows Media Player to enable flac playback, here's one http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/

Another option is to play them with this program http://www.foobar2000.org/ or of course, Winamp :)

scatcat

Quote from: riseandreverberate on November 06, 2007, 16:30:35
There's a few plug-in's for Windows Media Player to enable flac playback, here's one http://www.illiminable.com/ogg/

Another option is to play them with this program http://www.foobar2000.org/ or of course, Winamp :)

Thanks riseandreverberate.. I'll give it a go  :smth023
Seventeen seconds
A measure of life