4Tour - your thoughts after the european tour?

Started by sullen, March 23, 2008, 19:03:22

Previous topic - Next topic

crowbi_wan

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 02, 2008, 23:34:09
yeah and then just imagine the possibility that these same people come posting all these "please please someone share a recording from this show???" the day after the concert.
you feel like "right... sure."  :evil:

Where are the boots?  I must have the boots! :smth096

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on April 03, 2008, 00:01:01
Quote from: japanesebaby on April 02, 2008, 23:34:09
yeah and then just imagine the possibility that these same people come posting all these "please please someone share a recording from this show???" the day after the concert.
you feel like "right... sure."  :evil:

Where are the boots?  I must have the boots! :smth096

eh... well "ever thought of trying your local shoe store or something?" or "maybe you're wearing them all the time?"

:-D

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

strange_day

Thinking about this again now, i can see entirely why this tour may have been quite 'pop' orientated.

The fact is, when they get onstage to play songs, we react, it goes back to them and its something that happens. Its that connnection between the audience and the band. The impression i get, is that theyre just enjoying themselves, they dont have to do any of this tour, but playing more upbeat sets i feel is a lot more about that interaction, its where those moments to really remember come from. I totally understand now why they didnt do a Faith encore at wembley and its simply because not enough people wanted it or cared enough to show it, i got the impression many people went in expecting it to be pretty much mandatory as it was the last night of the tour, myself included.
However, the band/audience interaction didnt seem as good as it couldve been and of course you cant blame them for not giving surprises to a half arsed audience.

I always feel that when they play darker sets as they have done (eg. 2002) its primarily to please themselves, for them to think 'If i were watching us, would i be impressed?' and those are different concerts, where the band might avoid a few of the hits to have a good time really getting into the mood etc.
These long poppier concerts have more of a party vibe to them, theres more positive energy and the mood is lifted.... but of course a lot of people dont want that all the time. I can see why, but as a performer sometimes going off that reaction is the real driving thing and gives you that good feeling.

melly

Quote from: japanesebaby on April 02, 2008, 22:33:20
Quote from: melly on April 02, 2008, 09:59:58
I think it's pretty rude saying things about Robert dancing around lapping up the screams of teenage girls.  They aint just teenagers, I can tell you!!
I know a few guys in the same age range who would just LOVE to be screamed at ( in a positive way!) by younger women... if ya got it, flaunt it!!

well, i don't know but i have a recollection from the berlin gig which makes me a bit bitter about this subject: there was this utterly hysterical IDIOT teenager a little bit on my left and during the pop encore, when robert walked to the edge of the stage, she went just absolutely hysterical, screaming like a fire alarm, almost falling and almost rolling on the ground and acting like a total wacko. i saw her friend was trying to hold her up and everyone in their proximity just tried to get the f*ck out there, as far from her as possible. it was really idiotic. she was simply ruining it to everyone around her by screming REALLY loud and acting out this totally idiotic "fan panic attack". i think i can say "acting out" because when the pop encore was over she had recovered in a second - so it was just a stupid show from her, nothing else. it looked like it was something she had rehearsed in advance or something. utterly stupid. i seriously wanted to walk to her and punch her in the face for it!
so... i'm afraid i have no much love for these screaming idiots... :evil: and i do hope robert would stop trying to please them too much. :? some people forget that they can really ruin the concert experience for other people, with overexaggerated reactions like that. they really can ruin it. because i didn't travel all the way there to germany to listen to some idiot girl scream. i traveled to hear the band called the cure, i came to listen to the music. i don't get this excess screaming, imo it's simply pretty stupid.

well, that's an extreme case, of course people who react like that are just wankers, whether it's at a Cure show or somewhere else... I certainly wasn't referring to people like her, I would have thought that would be obvious... I was remarking on the comments made about Robert lapping up all the attention from a younger crowd.. big deal...
stupid behaviour from any fan is a pain in the a**e, that's a given....
" Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain "...

figurehead

Well for me '4 Tour' was great.
I didn't miss the kbds parts & i don't care if they are playin' the same songs every night as long as they can do it so well!
So i hope that they will (please) come back fro tour really soon!
Hmmm... after all a new l.p. is going out next month & we've got the 30 years ani. don't we/they ?
:)
'Is It Always Like This?'

Meh

Just be thankful that they are changing the setlists somewhat AND covering most of their bases! I've spent 2 weeks following a band around Europe last summer who had the same setlist every night, and they ignored 2 of their less well recieved albums in favour of the songs from the new album! At least The Cure are doing something about it by including at least a few songs from each era, and occasionally playing an old favorite.

You've got to remember, these guys have a MASSIVE amount of music to remember. They're on for about 3 hours these days. It's just not practical for them to learn/rehearse every song in the bands catelogue in this format, particularly because the Cure have a long history for rotating and changing band members, so they can't be sure how much longer Porl will be around (probably once his check clears for 4:13 Dream and the 4tour).

MeltingMan

A tricky question.I was in Oberhausen and the overall impression was spectacular,especially the
beginning.There was so much energy in the air,but then,after 150 min,I noticed a "dead point".
I don't know how and why.I left the concert after the tenth encore with only one thought:"Don't miss
the last train!"The last third of the show overpowered me a bit.Nevertheless,I hope to see and hear
them again next year(?). :)
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

Afterhoughts on this tour: I went to one gig and enjoyed it very much.
Glad I did, as this line-up is history now.
(Well, maybe we will get some more of those studio tracks they recorded in 2007/8.)

Quote from: MeltingMan on May 05, 2014, 21:14:52
There was so much energy in the air,but then,after 150 min,I noticed a "dead point".

The last third of the show overpowered me a bit.

Don't forget you're 5 years older now, wich will make it more difficult. ;)

I agree that being on your feet (incl. some dancing) for 3 hours can be quite demanding. But that's what you do to hear some of your favourite songs by one of the best bands around.
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Right,Ulrich.To be honest,I had a seat place on the right side,relatively close to the stage,because I
knew the concert would last around 3 hours.Now I'm older and severely disabled,but that's a different
story,does not mean, that I'm sitting in a wheelchair.Robert was in his element,as always,and I saw
Porl/Pearl for the first and probably last time.The crowd of 11000 was also fantastic.The setlist
could stand,on the other hand,a few changes. :oops: :lol:
PS:This is only a suggestion for a modified E3:Other Voices,Trap,End,Three Imaginary Boys.

MeltingMan

Quote from: japanesebaby on March 25, 2008, 20:33:10
Quote from: nevyn on March 25, 2008, 11:38:57
Bear in mind, that Depeche Mode for instance, have even lower song rotation rate...

a good point.
there are so many other bands (and even good bands!) that do max 90 minnute shows and almost always (and i mean always) play the exact same set in concert of the tour.

a practical tip: if you're so very much bothered about setlists being too much alike, then maybe go see only one or two shows. don't even plan going to see any more, if you're  already so annoyed by this setlist detail in advance. and that way you might end up seeing one really good show and being able to really enjoy it.

i think the "setlist problem" only really affects fans that are going to see like 5-10 shows or even more - then the possibility that it might start to bother you that you hear the same songs over and over again BUT maybe then you have to blame it on yourself too. after all, who told you to go see so many shows? nobody did. because whatever we might want for ourselves (i for instance would have wanted 'other voices' and 'a short term effect' and a couple of other things - i didn't go there to listen to 'just like heaven' in rotation), we still have to remember that most concert-goers still do go to see only one show anyway. die-hard fans like many of us here are still a minority there, i'm afraid - so if our voice doesn't always get heard, it doesn't need to be something outrageous. and so whatever "10+ members" might think, the band does have to consider those people too. otherwise there would be a lot more people complaining that they didn't play and they didn't play that than there are now. maybe robert &co. doen't think "oh i really need to change this setlist more often because all these crazy die-hard people are going to follow me and see 12 shows in a row, i really need to think of them" when they design the setlists - and we can't really accuse them for anything if they don't.

so considering all this, the fact that setlists aren't extremely imaginative does not mean the band is dead or bored or something like it. maybe it's the fan(s) who might be (bored or in crisis), but imo one really blame it on the band or jump into conclusions that there was some kind of a major crisis going on there with the band or that it necessarily was some kind of a sign of things going downhill etc.
I can share the view about Depeche Mode and setlist in general.Andrew Fletcher meant,shortly after
the "Faith and Devotional Tour",giving the gist:"The group has no interest playing in front of
always the same audience",a somewhat unhappy wording,but that is probably the same case with
The Cure, and Robert can't ignore the mainstream,and the mainstream want "Greatest Hits" stuff.
It's a balancing act,well managed by Robert to date and we "fans" have to consider this,because
The Cure is meanwhile a worldwide established band and no longer an exclusive fan band.