U2: no line on the horizon (2009)

Started by japanesebaby, January 22, 2009, 10:31:50

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

i know it's a controversial subject here ;) and a love-hate thing to some, but what about the new U2 album? what do you think/expect?

you can listen to the new single, 'get on your boots', here:

http://goyb.u2.com/?utm_source=Publicaster&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EMLU2COS_20090119_single_annoumcement_GetOnYourBoots

there's been talk about U2 getting a bit more experimental again on this album, personally i'm surprising myself by finding myself quite interested in hearing it in its entirety.
and... to be perfectly honest, i've actually been thinking that perhaps it's partially the disappointment of '4:13 dream' that has made me think of much more highly of the music of U2 (old and new) once again.

so far at least i do like the art work:

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

crowbi_wan

I wasn't all that impressed after the first listen, but then my attention was divided since I was busy working.  After giving it a proper listen (actually several), I like it quite a bit.  :rocker  Glad to hear Bono threw in some "Yeahs"  :P  It definitely has me curious what the rest of the album will sound like.

japanesebaby

and whereas i'm generally tired of all these all sorts of special editions with photos, stickers, books, whatever, i do find this the corbijn film an interesting addition:

The digipak includes an extended booklet and the album's companion film "Linear" by Anton Corbijn.

japanesebaby

dsanchez

Have you seen who is producing their new album among others? Brian Eno

Just to see this guy's name there give me a guarantee of something good. I just wonder why The Cure don't hire him instead of those crappy producers from crappy music like Korn, etc...

Ok baby, I am going to listen and will back with my thoughts...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

japanesebaby

Quote from: dsanchez on January 22, 2009, 10:49:57
Have you seen who is producing their new album among others? Brian Eno

Just to see this guy's name there give me a guarantee of something good. I just wonder why The Cure don't hire him instead of those crappy producers from crappy music like Korn, etc...

exactly. i've been really completely out of touch with all things U2 for quite some time but i was just reading the interview on Q mag yesterday, and it looks like they got the whole "old team" assembled together: brian eno, daniel lanois, steve lillywhite.
robert should read that and be green with envy.

(and if it should turn out that the production on 'no line..' will sound like crap, despite all those names, at least then we'll know that all hope is lost...)

japanesebaby

by the way (if one is bound to make some comparisons), am i the only one who'd think that on this new track bono sounds a lot better than robert does on 4:13? imo robert's voice has changed a lot more over the years, he simply sounds... old(er)? bono sounds just like he did the last time i heard him. or...?
(or perhaps i'm just not listening just as carefully/bound to pay much more closer attention to details of robert's voice?)

dsanchez

this damm pc here does not play the audio so I will give it a try tonight at home, really curious to hear this one...
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Lady

Thanks for this thread, eheh!!! :-D

I think it's a very unusual song for u2, not just for the music, but also for the lyrics...I still can't say if it's a very good song or not, anyway I'm waiting for the album, 'cos I know Brian Eno can do great things.... :roll:

...and of course I'm waiting for the tour (nothing official yet, but this summer maybe they'll be there, yuhu!!!! :-D )

About Bono's voice: imho it was amazing and more emotional during the joshua tree period (the best period for Bono's voice for me). In these last years he's having some problems, but who cares? He can still touch our hearts.... :smth049
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

alt.end

i like get on your boots...saw video on youtube but when i checked back few hours later, it was disabled  :smth011

j

Do they ever age?  I mean, Larry Mullen looks the same to me as he did on the Joshua Tree tour.  Wish I could only be so lucky!  Although, I think Adam should go back to the big glasses/blond afro look from the old days

dsanchez

Quote from: j on February 13, 2009, 02:54:12
Do they ever age?  I mean, Larry Mullen looks the same to me as he did on the Joshua Tree tour.

He's the "Simon Gallup" of the band. Guess they have a devil pact or something to look so young always :P
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

musiclovr89

I sampled a few songs and I liked a few of them. Just not all of them. But I'm still a huge U2 fan so I think maybe it needs to grow on people first.

alt.end

Quote from: dsanchez on February 13, 2009, 09:45:44
Quote from: j on February 13, 2009, 02:54:12
Do they ever age?  I mean, Larry Mullen looks the same to me as he did on the Joshua Tree tour.

He's the "Simon Gallup" of the band. Guess they have a devil pact or something to look so young always :P

hehe, you're right.

here's a cool review of No Line On The Horizon -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2009/feb/13/u2-white-as-snow

AND ALL LONDONERS WATCH OUT:
U2 to play secret street gig

U2 will reportedly play a secret street gig in central London on Friday night.

The Irish rock band, whose upcoming album No Line On The Horizon leaked last week, are said to be planning an "unusual outdoor performance".

The gig will take place at Upper Regent Street near Oxford Circus between 6pm and 6.15pm, an insider told DS.

U2 release No Line On The Horizon, their 12th studio album, on Monday.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a147862/u2-to-play-secret-street-gig.html