2016.11.06 Stuttgart - Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle (Germany)

Started by dsanchez, November 23, 2015, 20:12:04

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Mainset: Plainsong, Pictures of You, Closedown, A Night Like This, Push, In Between Days, Just Like Heaven, Last Dance, The End of the World, Lovesong, Want, Never Enough, The Hungry Ghost, Primary, Prayers For Rain, Disintegration

E1: It Can Never Be the Same, Burn, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, A Forest
E2: Lullaby, Fascination Street, Hot Hot Hot, Wrong Number
E3: The Lovecats, Let's Go To Bed, Friday I'm in Love, Boys Don't Cry, Close To Me, Why Can't I Be You?
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on November 06, 2016, 20:01:17
hey Ulrich! hope you guys are having a great time there.

Oh yes, we did!  :-D
It was a pleasure to meet some fans at our little meeting! Really nice people.

The gig was great, as you can see the setlist was brilliant (so much from "Disintegration" and "HOTD")! I loved it. Bigger review and photos to follow!
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Ulrich

Ulrich

When I arrived at the "Cannstatter Tor", I looked for a suitable table (the place was almost empty at this time), ordered a coffee and waited for any arrivals. Around 3.10pm I got a bit nervous, but then someone with a Cure t-shirt walked in, asked a waiter (who knew nothing), then I waved him. He introduced himself as Marc, Cure fan from Germany (dsanchez had sent him on his way). We chatted nicely, then Summer & friend (from USA) arrived a bit later. We had a few beers and talked about our Cure experiences, setlists and so on. Marc left earlier, the rest of us then walked over to the Schleyerhalle (circa 18 mins walk), we were happy it didn't rain. At the back of the hall we tried to see someone from the band, but no such luck. As it got cold, we went inside. We bought beer, then we sadly had to part ways, as the others all had seats and I had a standing ticket. Well I was going to look for an old friend anyway, who I wanted to meet at the mixing desk. This didn't work out (but I met him afterwards), instead I found another old acquaintance near the mixing desk by accident...
The Twilight Sad were pretty good, I thought. Quite sad actually, but it fit my mood somehow.
Then finally The Cure were about to start. Marc had hoped for a "Disintegration" kinda setlist - and he got it! As for me, I was very happy to hear the opening chimes of "Plainsong" as well! Then "Pictures of you" and "Closedown" ("wouldn't it be cool if they played the whole album?", I thought, but they didn't...)! At times I had tears in my eyes... I was pleased that they followed these with 2 songs from "The Head On The Door", especially "A Night Like This" was one of the highlights for me, others were "Last Dance", "Want", "Primary", "Prayers For Rain", "Disintegration", "Burn" & "A Forest". I also enjoyed the "pop encore", but not as much as the "Disintegration" highlights! It was good to hear the new song "It Can Never Be The Same" live for the first time.
(Sometimes I would just close my eyes and listen to the music... forgetting about stage show and other people around me... when I opened my eyes, I saw Robert being busy with his guitar, as I did see many times before...) The lightshow was well thought out and fit the songs in my opinion.

Later in the show, Robert apologized for his voice, but there was no need to, as what I'd heard was fine! Simon was moving/dancing round the stage in his typical fashion, Roger & Reeves did their jobs well. I thought Jason's drumming was good enough on most of the songs, it was only very few during which I felt he sounded maybe a bit too "mechanical/cold" (for lack of better words).

All in all, this was another great Cure concert for me. At the end, Robert said "see you again", so I hope to see them again someday! :)

dsanchez

Hey, you mention the tears and it happened to me as well. The Cure's music touch us in ways we only know.  For me, it was during "Pictures of you", that song brought me so many memories, moments, very special people, faces, smiles that are stuck in my mind... and will always be. I am sure if The Cure would play in 2026 we would still feel the same again.

PS. Glad you met the other fans. Summer is a Jason fan and run a FB group about him and Marc is doing all the German dates. I met him both in Hamburg and Berlin and had long l, good discussions.

BTW, I still have the draft of my reviews and I promise to start publishing them this week! So many things I had to do when I came back to work :/
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on November 07, 2016, 17:45:15
Hey, you mention the tears and it happened to me as well.

Yes, I was kinda glad I was on my own at that point, only total strangers next to me. ;)
Indeed this music touches deep inside and often brings back memories...

Quote from: dsanchez on November 07, 2016, 17:45:15
PS. Glad you met the other fans. Summer is a Jason fan and run a FB group about him and Marc is doing all the German dates.

Yeah, I think he was glad to finally hear a "Disintegration" set!
And yes, Summer mentioned being a Jason fan a few times, ha ha! She even received a signed cymbal from him once.
It was lovely to meet them all. Glad I didn't have much work today (postponed it to tomorrow), so I was able to look back at this gig.
Looking forward to your reviews!
Oh and I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet forum member disintegration & company on Saturday, but it would've been too much. :( Hope you enjoyed the show as much as I did!

Ulrich

dsanchez

Most videos in YouTube are usually shitty, but this one has a very good audio and image and IMO is worth sharing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFC6QrDDTJk
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on November 17, 2016, 19:31:10
Most videos in YouTube are usually shitty, but this one has a very good audio and image and IMO is worth sharing

Erm, the video of "Last Dance" I shared above is from the same source! This person has uploaded more videos from Stuttgart (and other shows), most of them pretty good.
Also there were other videos from other people, but I could not share them all here. (Same goes for other shows, I didn't have the time to look four out for the good yt vids, although I at least tried for Frankfurt & Leipzig...)

This one I enjoyed, because unlike other vids it lets you see the whole stage incl. screens, which is how I experienced it at the concert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8YmJNfFKxw