This. Here and now with who ?

Started by cane5, November 04, 2008, 15:08:40

Previous topic - Next topic

cane5

Im listening to the song again for at least the fifth time and suddenly I get it. This is a song about he and a mysterious woman. In and out and through the song he is contemplating an affair with a mysterious and fights with himself to ward of his passions.

As far as I know hes been married for over 30 years. Of course that is amazing when thinking of all his songs of love and the loss of love. Hope the wife hasnt dug too deep into this one.

splitmilk34

This is a common theme, though... so the wife probably thinks nothing of it.  Just listen to songs like Want, The 13th, Never, The Real Snow White, Watching Me Fall, etc... they ALL deal with "forbidden sex" in some way.  I think it's more of a relatable songwriting tool than an autobiographical allusion.
"... sleeping less every night"

cane5

splitmilk

Your probably right. He sure does offer up an array of love and lost love songs.
I dont though this one almost seems a bit more personal. Just seemed to hit me differently than the rest. I know its a basically a simple song too but I think its got a nice way about it.
No doubt though its one of the songs that is over produced from that standpoint its a shame. Be nice to hear a good live version of it when they go back on tour.

splitmilk34

I know what you mean about the song "feeling" more personal.  Lately, though, I've taken songs like this with a grain of salt because, let's be honest, who is Robert possibly sleeping around or falling in love with.  Any time he makes mention of Mary it's always positive.  If this song is autobiographical I would lean towards it being a special moment between the two of them.  I do appreciate the sentiment in this track - and I really do adore the new album - but there is something "off" about it, for me.  The chorus is wonderful, with it's ascending vocal scale and the "Might be all I need" to cap it off.  The choices they made instrumentally and production wise are baffling and damn near distracting.  Porl's guitar riff in the beginning is like a knife in my ear it's so trebly, and Simon's bass, while typically melodic and amazing, is overdriven too much.  This song called for a much lighter touch and what we got was a teriffic love song played by a garage-band version of The Cure - all muddy distortion and trash can drums, which is fine but not here.
"... sleeping less every night"

KingOfSomeIsland

Apparently the only time Mary ever confronted Robert about a song was "This is a Lie" from Wild Mood Swings

rubcure

Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on November 07, 2008, 01:11:55
Apparently the only time Mary ever confronted Robert about a song was "This is a Lie" from Wild Mood Swings

Could you tell me more about it KingOfSomeIsland... I like too much "This is a Lie" Thanks for the Info  :smth023
[center][size=10pt][font=arial][color=black]"...and the way the rain comes down hard is how i feel inside..."[/color][/font][/size][/center]

Lady

I red all the 4:13 lyrics and I've noticed it could be the same theme of "sirensong"....but maybe Robert wrote the lyrics without thinking about a personal experience with his Mary and anyway..who cares?? They're just "family affairs"!!! :lol: ;)
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

dsanchez

Quote from: rubcure on November 07, 2008, 03:29:35
Quote from: KingOfSomeIsland on November 07, 2008, 01:11:55
Could you tell me more about it KingOfSomeIsland... I like too much "This is a Lie" Thanks for the Info  :smth023

I opened another topic for discussion on "This Is A Lie". This is definitely an interesting topic

http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=8924.0
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo