2008.12.14 Universal City - Gibson Amphitheatre 'KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas'

Started by crowbi_wan, November 21, 2008, 03:17:52

Previous topic - Next topic

japanesebaby

please give up those (ugly) out-of-tunish schechters robert!  :eek:

;)
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

j

I nominate tonight's show as the lamest Cure show EVER.  Anyone second that motion?  :roll:

After 2 or 3 songs in, the place was already 25% empty.  By the time the crappy old school encore came, the place was close to half empty.  Special guest tonight...Kanye West.  Yay.  Now my life is complete.

On a positive note, The Killers and Franz Ferdinand sounded fantastic.

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

j

Shitty audience, shitty setlist, shitty Robert's voice.  Shitty special guest earlier in the night.  Can you tell I'm cranky?  Doesn't help that I need to get up in 5 hours to catch a 6 hour flight home.... :smth100

lostflower4

Quote from: j on December 15, 2008, 09:26:12
I nominate tonight's show as the lamest Cure show EVER.  Anyone second that motion?  :roll:

The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the setlist was, "Did they forget they released a new album?"

Sure, I expected this to be a poppy set being a festival show and all, but this was about as bland as you could possibly get. And Pictures of You really isn't something that's going to captivate a lukewarm audience either, especially since that song lost its luster in a live setting over 10 years ago...

For a moment I thought having the secret show the night before was a nice consolation, but then I remembered that only about 200 "regular fans" actually got to see this. :?

In the end, I'm simply puzzled by all this.

j

I also felt that Robert mailed in the vocals all night.  No power to the vocals at all.  The clown of the show was the guy behind me...as the band was walking on stage, he kept yelling "Underneath the Sky!".  Genius.  Absolute Genius. 

crowbi_wan

Here here. What a shitty show indeed.  :smth011  And seriously, I'm not just saying that because the Troubadour was f*cking excellent.  Tonight was bad.  Bad song selection, vocals, tuning, over all performance.  There was no energy from the guys.  No magic.  The one thing I like was having the mystery of wondering what the closer would be.  I really wasn't sure because they opened with POY.  So, the element of surprise was there.  For the life of me I can't understand why they would play alt.end and TEOTW.  Those songs didn't do anything in the States.  Why not play some album tracks from the new record?  Also, they had to know they weren't going to top The Killers, so why not play some obscure tracks for the die-hards that stuck around?  What a let down tonight was.  I feel bad for those that only saw tonight's show.  It was a great weekend, one of the best of my life.  But damn, I feel worse than I did after seeing the Antwerp show which followed PARIS!

Nice to have finally met j  (and Mike Tyson!, or at least see him).  :smth023  Lostflower4, you are next  ;)   

pink ego box

The rain ruined my evening....
Whatever folks I love Kayne. He was in the same room as me but he scares me too much for me to say hello.

The show itself was good. Perfect Boy, which I normally love, was lifeless tonight.
My niece and I were standing on the stairs in the second level just so we could jam out together (my seats were good but on the other side of venue) and 3 songs in some guy handed us orch 8 row DD which was an amaaaazing view.
This was my first Cure show not hearing 100 years and FTEOTDGS.

I got to meet Simon which was both pretty cool and extremely awkward.

Gwen Stefani ran by anyone notice? Tom Morello, Seth Green, Courtnet Love, Jimmy Kimmel, Sarah Silverman, the singer of Rancid, all of No Doubt, and a girl from the MTV show The Hills were all there.

crowbi_wan

Quote from: pink ego box on December 15, 2008, 11:03:57

Gwen Stefani ran by anyone notice? Tom Morello, Seth Green, Courtnet Love, Jimmy Kimmel, Sarah Silverman, the singer of Rancid, all of No Doubt, and a girl from the MTV show The Hills were all there.

So were Jack and Kelly Osbourne.  Mike Tyson was walking around the City Walk earlier in the day.  J and I saw him and walked away without being bitten  :P

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on December 15, 2008, 11:15:19
Quote from: pink ego box on December 15, 2008, 11:03:57

So were Jack and Kelly Osbourne.  Mike Tyson was walking around the City Walk earlier in the day.  J and I saw him and walked away without being bitten  :P

it really must have been a pretty boring show because everyone seems to had plenty of time to concentrate on celebrity spotting...

too bad that an uninspired gig got webcast. :/
i hope everyone had good time otherwise, though.  ;)

nosigner

"looking for love in a trashcan"

japanesebaby

Quote from: nosigner on December 15, 2008, 12:03:36
I nominate tonight's show as the lamest Cure show EVER.

sorry, but that was mtv icon

having to see/hear johnny borrell butchering 'boys don't cry' was lame and seeing robert's expression as he was watching borrell was painful.
but imo the real live part of that gig (the cure playing the cure) wasn't lame.
the webcast today indeed sounded a lot more uninspired than that.

nausearockpig

wish i had've been able to catch that... alas i was battling with fools and a plethora of ones and zeros...

sigh

japanesebaby

@javier: i'm sure someone saved it on HD and could offer a complete copy. unfortunately my capture isn't complete.
anyone?  :)

Quote from: crowbi_wan on December 15, 2008, 10:28:12
For the life of me I can't understand why they would play alt.end and TEOTW. 

by the way alt.end had some pre-recorded backing track which doesn't work at all (just like in the case of'push').
now i'm wondering whether it was a new one(?) or i'm just demented and just never really registered that before, just because if one tends to try and ignore annoying things...