Interview with Reeves Gabrels

Started by dsanchez, June 27, 2012, 11:39:44

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

QuoteHow did you and Robert Smith reconnect?

At the end of April, he emailed: "What are you doing this summer? For the whole summer?" I said, "If you're asking what I think you're asking, nothing that can't change." He said, "This is what's going on. I'm the only guitar player and I really miss having a wingman." He said it would only be 30 songs. It turned out to be 52 songs. I think I had just under two weeks to learn them. I got here and I think we whittled those down to a primary core of 40 songs.
Full interview
http://www.berklee.edu/news/4579/alumni-profile-reeves-gabrels

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Thanks, an interesting read. Been asked to play with the Cure in April, somehow this went more "spontaneous" than I'd thought!
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MintQR

revolt_again

Reeves Gabrels is a really good guitarist - I specially like the work he did with Bowie on the 1995 'Outside' album... I think The Cure may really gain with him in the band, even if he might look a bit to old to be with them and even if the previous creative collaboration he did with the band ('Wrong Number') didn't turn out that well... But it will be interesting to know how he will be able to contribute to new Cure material.

By the way, has anyone listened to the song "Yesterday's Gone", which RS co-wrote and sang on Gabrels' 2000 album Ulysses? This is one of RS's collaborations that has passed unnoticed to me...

Ulrich

Quote from: revolt_again on March 19, 2014, 15:15:32
By the way, has anyone listened to the song "Yesterday's Gone", which RS co-wrote and sang on Gabrels' 2000 album Ulysses? This is one of RS's collaborations that has passed unnoticed to me...

Just a few days ago I did a bit of research about Robert's collaborations and found this page, where you can still listen to some of them (not all, some links are dead), incl. Reeves feat. RS:
http://www.strangewaysradio.com/blog/2012/01/25/strange-collaborations-with-robert-smith/

It's one of the better collaborations to my ears! :)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

revolt_again

Quote from: Ulrich on March 19, 2014, 15:39:53
Quote from: revolt_again on March 19, 2014, 15:15:32

Just a few days ago I did a bit of research about Robert's collaborations and found this page, where you can still listen to some of them (not all, some links are dead), incl. Reeves feat. RS:
http://www.strangewaysradio.com/blog/2012/01/25/strange-collaborations-with-robert-smith/

It's one of the better collaborations to my ears! :)

Hey, thanks for the link! Unfortunately I can't really access it - the firewall here seems to be blocking almost every music-related site on the net...