2018.07.07 London, Hyde Park (England) "British Summer Time"

Started by Ulrich, December 12, 2017, 09:44:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-cures-london-setlist-was-the-greatest-the-cure-setlist-of-all-time
On Saturday, as the rest of the nation were distracted by the little matter of a certain world cup quarter final, 65,000 music fans piled into London's Hyde Park to celebrate 40 years – to the exact weekend – of The Cure. As part of the British Summer Time festival, the day's programming was a vibrant celebration not just of the band's career, but also their enduring legacy. The band were joined on the bill by both longtime friends and a selection of Smith's protogees, including British shoegaze stalwarts Slowdive, who shimmered dreamily in the sun, while experimental Swedes pg.lost and Icelandic synth-punks Kaelan Mikla showcased the profound effect The Cure's music continues to have over alternative music.
https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-cures-london-setlist-was-the-greatest-the-cure-setlist-of-all-time
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

dsanchez

Quote from: Ulrich on July 11, 2018, 09:48:26

Greatest Cure setlist of all time? This guy obviously just saw The Cure for the first time! :) There are many other concerts where the setlist was more remarkable than this one, mainly the ones listed in the first post of this thread http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=7466.0
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on July 11, 2018, 09:51:36
There are many other concerts where the setlist was more remarkable than this one...

Someone sent this link to me via FB messenger. (Not sure why, he wasn't there, but I think he was with me at a Cure gig back in '92.)
Guess what I told him? Yeah, I told him that this one is ok, but that I heard better setlists myself live:happy

MeltingMan

Quote from: dsanchez on July 11, 2018, 09:51:36
Greatest Cure setlist of all time? This guy obviously just saw The Cure for the first time! :) There are many other concerts where the setlist was more remarkable than this one,

😄

Yes indeed, David. Even Meltdown was more profound, but I agree when it comes to Grinding Halt
and Jumping Someone Else's Train. Those songs were well selected for this kind of event.
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

This one is a much better review:
http://www.post-punk.com/the-cure-celebrate-their-40th-anniversary-with-a-greatest-hits-set/
Despite fan speculation, no special guests or previous members joined the band on stage, as was the case with Meltdown. Which is just as well, as Cure frontman Robert Smith curated a dream festival lineup which featured popular acts such as The Twilight Sad, Editors, Slowdive, Interpol, Ride, and more performing for the 65,000 capacity sold out event that people traveled from all over the world to see.

A Strange Girl

Quote from: chemicaloverload on July 10, 2018, 23:33:21

I know! She loved it all, especially being at the fan meeting even though she was really tired from a long day of travelling.

Your daughter truly rocks!  :)
...I think you come from another world...

chemicaloverload

Quote from: A Strange Girl on July 11, 2018, 15:12:25
    Quote from: chemicaloverload on July 10, 2018, 23:33:21

I know! She loved it all, especially being at the fan meeting even though she was really tired from a long day of travelling.

Your daughter truly rocks!  :)

Hehehe thank you SG <3
    Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

helloimageifonly

Because of all of the emotions that I have went trough prior to this 40th anniversary (so months living up to this moment and all of the wonderful hours before the show) I find it hard to be objective about it.

I stood fairly in front of the stage and waited in line for about 1 hour. Getting trough the hardcore fans from my point was impossible :) it was like a brick wall, no way anybody would pass this.
    When the band came on I couldn't believe it, very surreal. I was completely overwhelmed and especially by Robert because he is such a charismatic and fascinating person. He said hello to the fans and Simon looked happy and in great shape! TanyaSmith from Curefans has a nice video of the beginning of the show, the audio is not so good but she captures the moment beautifuly https://youtu.be/YQOM0xNnilI
    (the whole show was on youtube but has sadly been removed..hope Tim Pope hurries up with the film)

...And then 'Plainsong' started! I had tears falling from my eyes , it was so intense and beautiful. Followed by 'Pictures of You'.. 2 of my favorite Curesongs. Robert's voice was flawless and still sounds incredibly good. I also liked the big screens and images although it was a lot to take in the night itself - I saw a lot of detail the next day that I haven't seen the Saturday ..
    I understand Curefans who are saying that it where 'only hits' that were on the setlist but you know..They are all good songs and when I looked around me everybody was singing and smiling and joyful for The Cure and their 40 years anniversary. I know I did too. A dark and melancholic set like many Curefans experienced in the past would maybe not have fitted this occasion so well. Although I would love to experience such a Cureshow in the future, I am not sure if this is still possible. Everything changes and so do bands I think and so does Robert and The Cure. This Curesound where lots of fans refer to (and wich is my favorite as well) is from a specific line-up and this line-up is no more. Fans who experienced this are really spoiled and I mean this in a good way :)

Saturday I heard and saw passion, professionalism and lots and lots of charisma in a tight, uptempo but much too short show. Previous members would have been great (I would have loved it if Pearl was there!) but I think that Robert does what he does and decides with good reason and that he knows best.
    I was wondering about this the last couple of days: Can we complain and criticize? Even as fans? Has anybody any thoughts on this? I mean Robert and The Cure are human too and are free to do what they want. I am happy they are still doing shows and like it is written on his guitar.. It can never be the same.
    That is how I feel about it. I am curious to read other peoples thoughts.

'If Only Tonight We Could Sleep' was beautiful :)
    'Jumping someone else's train' and 'Killing an Arab' as well! Those where my absolute favorites together with 'Plainsong' and 'Pictures of You' :)
    'A forest' was a little too short, I would have loved it if it could last 10 more minutes :)

A Cureshow is a whole experience I discovered and that is the merit of the band. I am sorry I only quite recently digged into it but thankful that I have!

The 40th anniversary was a joyeus gig with wonderful music and with lots of love and positive energy floathing, hopefully the band felt this too. I would love to hear Robert's thoughts about the event.

As my review is very personal (first Cureshow) I would like to include the following link: http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4151909-the-cure-hyde-park-07-07-18
    Of all the reviews that I have read I think this one comes closest to the truth.

handyandy

Heya guys,

I actually proposed to my girlfriend during Friday I'm In Love at the show! She said yes, which is wicked - but here comes my question. I managed to lose the person who filmed it & took photos, and I'd love to track her down. If anybody has heard anything/seen any videos/photos, that would be amazing - obviously it would mean a lot to me!

Andy

helloimageifonly

Quote from: helloimageifonly on July 11, 2018, 23:26:15
    If Only Tonight We Could Sleep was beautiful :)

re-reading discovered this capital error  :o very tired when writing this..

dsanchez

Quote from: handyandy on July 12, 2018, 00:03:32
    I actually proposed to my girlfriend during Friday I'm In Love at the show! She said yes, which is wicked - but here comes my question. I managed to lose the person who filmed it & took photos, and I'd love to track her down. If anybody has heard anything/seen any videos/photos, that would be amazing - obviously it would mean a lot to me!

Hi Andy, well done! :) At the moment I just found this wedding proposal, but it happened during Just Like Heaven...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xTEW3lMgo0&t=38s
    2023.11.22 Lima
    2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: helloimageifonly on July 12, 2018, 00:26:58
    very tired when writing this..

Thank you very much for your review (+ the link)!!  :cool
    (Btw, I think you can edit your post?)

Ulrich

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
    2023.11.27 Montevideo

helloimageifonly

Quote from: Ulrich on July 12, 2018, 09:48:31
    Thank you very much for your review (+ the link)!!  :cool
    Glad you liked it  :)

Quote from: Ulrich on July 12, 2018, 09:48:31
    (Btw, I think you can edit your post?)
    I arranged it.. Thx for pointing it out!
    It was a little funny because I really needed to sleep (as the error showed)  :D