Robert Smith on Rock Hall Induction and "F-cking Great" New Album

Started by dsanchez, March 30, 2019, 14:24:15

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

Some important remarks from Bob about the album:

QuoteIt's so dark. It's incredibly intense. And I've waited ten years to do something that means something. It's going to work really well. I'm not sure how much of it we'll play this summer at festivals. It's not really festival music. The songs are like ten minutes, 12 minutes long. We recorded 19 songs. So I have no idea what to do now. The others are saying, "triple album!" I'm saying, no let's not. I'll pick six or maybe eight songs and do like a single album. But I think i will delight our hardcore fans

QuoteWe'll finish it before we start in the summer, and it'll be mixed through the summer. And then so release date, I don't know, October?

About playing 'Disintegration' gigs in the US (no mention of Europe so far):

Quote...probably about Christmas time we'll come back... But I kind of feel like we should do it in a bigger venue (compared to the 'Reflections' shows that were performed in theaters)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/the-cures-robert-smith-on-rock-hall-induction-and-f-cking-great-new-album-815601/
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

chemicaloverload

Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves

Ulrich

Quote from: chemicaloverload on March 30, 2019, 21:05:48
He had me at dark and intense.

Oh yes, I always thought the next album will be a "typical" Cure album (seeing he made "Disintegration" when he turned 30 - and now he'll be 60 soon)!

Sounds so promising...
QuoteBecause it's the anniversary of Disintegration, I was thinking about how we did that, and how we turned that into something and what my mindset was.

I'm not sure how much of it we'll play this summer at festivals. It's not really festival music. The songs are like 10 minutes, 12 minutes long. We recorded 19 songs. So I have no idea what to do now. The others are saying, "Triple album!" I'm saying, no let's not. I'll pick six or maybe eight songs and do like a single album. But I think it will delight our hardcore fans. And probably really, really infuriate everyone else. At my age, I'm still doom and gloom.

Wow, just wow.  :smth023
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

piggymirror

I'll tell you anything when I listen to it.

That is, if it ever gets released.

Ulrich

Quote from: piggymirror on April 05, 2019, 04:46:55
That is, if it ever gets released.

It will. He already talks "mixing". Universal has it in their list apparently.
This is certain to be released 2019/2020. Take my word for it.  :cool

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on April 05, 2019, 22:11:03
I have to say I trust more Ulrich than I trust Bob :P

Ha ha ha, you shouldn't do that.

But as I gave my word - if the album should still have no release date when the date is near Xmas 2020, you can all throw abuse at me, curse me and so on, without being banned or sued. That's a "free-for-all" valid in the last 2 weeks of the year 2020.

That's how much I'm certain that there will be a new album!  :cool

(Disclaimer: that is not valid if something unforeseen should happen, e.g. Universal being bankrupt, me being dead etc.!)

MeltingMan

Quote from: dsanchez on March 30, 2019, 14:24:15
QuoteIt's so dark. It's incredibly intense. And I've waited ten years to do something that means something. It's going to work really well. I'm not sure how much of it we'll play this summer at festivals. It's not really festival music. The songs are like ten minutes, 12 minutes long. We recorded 19 songs. So I have no idea what to do now. The others are saying, "triple album!" I'm saying, no let's not. I'll pick six or maybe eight songs and do like a single album. But I think i will delight our hardcore fans

I hardly dare to speak about the subject, mainly because I had given up all hopes in connection with
a new "dark" album. Nevertheless, I'm thrilled by this. A double album would be a good compromise, wouldn't it?
Thirteen songs, incorporating Step into the Light and It Can Never Be The Same. I had suggested a single,
but (in Robert's words) life intervened. OK, I' won't go too far and hope he doesn't change his mind
until October. Can't wait for it.  :smth023
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

piggymirror

Quote from: Ulrich on April 06, 2019, 09:57:22
That's how much I'm certain that there will be a new album!  :cool

(Disclaimer: that is not valid if something unforeseen should happen, e.g. Universal being bankrupt, me being dead etc.!)

No deal Brexit happening? I'm being serious here.

Ulrich

Quote from: piggymirror on April 07, 2019, 05:05:57
No deal Brexit happening? I'm being serious here.

Nah, that won't touch any kind of recording deal the band signed with Universal (who are a U.S. company btw)!
(For more, see the Brexit topic - no need to be discussed here.)