Songs you wish the Cure would not play too often at gigs

Started by star_swirl, March 23, 2008, 13:39:43

Previous topic - Next topic

star_swirl

The Cure play "Never Enough" a bit too often at gigs for my liking. This was never a good song for me. What other songs do people feel that way about?

Happytheman

In my opinion Disintegation is the song that once was good live and now the good version of it is a rare thing. I'd wish they play it only when Robert realy in the mood.

But I'm not quite shure in this, because 2 fabulous gigs in Barcelona and Paris showed that, in fact, every Cure song (exerpt Freak show  :?) can be good to say the least.

lostflower4

Quote from: star_swirl on March 23, 2008, 13:39:43
The Cure play "Never Enough" a bit too often at gigs for my liking. This was never a good song for me. What other songs do people feel that way about?

Drop these for good:

alt.end
The End Of The World
Us Or Them

Play these less often:

Pictures Of you
From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea
One Hundred Years
Please Project (or whatever the real name is)
Play For Today
In Between Days
Just Like Heaven
Friday I'm In Love
Let's Go To Bed
The Walk

And start mixing these into the set:

Out Of This World
The Big Hand
Scared As You
Torture
High
Doing The Unstuck
Before Three
The Promise
Subway Song
Accuracy
It's Not You
Secrets
Give Me It
A Short Term Effect
Seventeen Seconds
Waiting

Really, is that too crazy?  Didn't think so...

carycameron

A Night Like this, Play for Today, Disintegration, A Forest  suffer without keyboards

Lovesong, Lullaby, End of the World, Why Can't I be You ....don't like em live  with or without keyboards

tigermilk

I guess they do play "Inbetween Days", "Let's Go To Bed", "Wrong Number" and "The Walk" a bit much.

I must disagree with some of the choices above... but that's just me... nothing personal!! Haha. "Pictures Of You" is timeless and I get chills when I see Robert sing it. "From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea" is one of their best live songs and so too is "One Hundred Years". "Play For Today" has such a great vibe live, just check it out of Festival 2005. "Friday I'm In Love" rewinds the clock for me, everyone goes back to the time they first heard it and it's so much fun! "Why Can't I Be You" was amazing when I saw them in the Australian visit, Robert was running all over stage and it was just so hyper and full of energy, I loved it! It would be good to see them do a show of non-hits but a lot of the people are there to see "Inbetween Days" and "Friday I'm In Love" because they are the only Cure songs they know. They should do a Fans-Only Tour, can you imagine they open with "Out Of This World" and follow up with songs like "Doing The Unstuck", "Siamese Twins", "Other Voices", "Bloodflowers", "Labyrinth", "Disintegration", "Plainsong", "Charlotte Sometimes", "Last Dance", b-sides etc. Oh it would be nice...

lostflower4

Quote from: tigermilk on March 24, 2008, 09:50:17
"From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea" is one of their best live songs and so too is "One Hundred Years". "Play For Today" has such a great vibe live, just check it out of Festival 2005. "Friday I'm In Love" rewinds the clock for me, everyone goes back to the time they first heard it and it's so much fun!

Hey, I'm not saying these songs are bad. They've just gotten really tiring (at least for me). And in my opinion, don't really sound that good anymore.

I mean, compare these songs to the way they sounded on the Wish Tour and it's almost laughable. Ok, that's just my opinion!

Friday I'm In Love was the song that hoooked me into The Cure, and hearing the album version always brings back fond memories. And I think the live versions from 1992 sounded really great, even if though they are very different from the studio version. But after that, the song just mutated more and more into something I don't really like. I thought I would enjoy it more with Porl back at the helm, but it just sounds too weird to me now...

j

Quote from: lostflower4 on March 24, 2008, 08:02:26
Quote from: star_swirl on March 23, 2008, 13:39:43

Drop these for good:

alt.end
The End Of The World
Us Or Them

Play these less often:

Pictures Of you
From The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea
One Hundred Years
Please Project (or whatever the real name is)
Play For Today
In Between Days
Just Like Heaven
Friday I'm In Love
Let's Go To Bed
The Walk

And start mixing these into the set:

Out Of This World
The Big Hand
Scared As You
Torture
High
Doing The Unstuck
Before Three
The Promise
Subway Song
Accuracy
It's Not You
Secrets
Give Me It
A Short Term Effect
Seventeen Seconds
Waiting

Really, is that too crazy?  Didn't think so...

:smth023

Scary....because if I sat down and made a list, it would look almost exactly like this!

Lady

"Us or them" and "Never enough".
Don't like very much these two songs...  :)
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

Steve

I'm of the opinion that WCIBY should be binned.
Especially if they are going to horse up the sound for it so badly.

Fudshow can go, along with Close to Me & Lovecats.

I think that the strength of the old school encores demonstrates a perfect opportunity for Accuracy & Plastic Passion, but then people would still moan about it.

Maybe Someday should be played more. I like it when it's done in a sleazy style & would be nice to see A Letter To Elise in there too.
I hate the studio version really, but after Vienna, I really got swept away with the live one.

Cheers
Steve
I know tomorrow's going to taste like cake
http://www.balatonfured.hu/en_index.php

dsanchez

Quote from: lostflower4 on March 24, 2008, 08:02:26
Play these less often:[/b]

In Between Days
Just Like Heaven
Friday I'm In Love
Let's Go To Bed
The Walk

But 75% (or more people) who goes to a Cure show just recognize these songs. Pulling them out wouldn't be so good idea. Regarding "The Walk", the current live version has proven that this song is a "must" in any show, in my opinion.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

dsanchez

Considering the band MUST play songs like "In between days", "Close to me", "Boys don't cry", "Just like heaven", "Friday I'm in love", "Why Can't I be you" (because, as I said before, 75% or more people from the audience just recognize and "wake up" with such songs) then I will just play less often:

Alt.end
Us or them
Freak show
The end of the world
From the edge of the deep green sea

I would suggest Bob to play these songs from time to time

Want
Mint car
Piggy in the mirror
Plastic passion
Subway song
The big hand
This twilight garden
Burn
The last day of summer
Bloodflowers
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Lady

Quote from: dsanchez on March 25, 2008, 10:16:18
I would suggest Bob to play these songs from time to time

Want
Mint car
Piggy in the mirror
Plastic passion
Subway song
The big hand
This twilight garden
Burn
The last day of summer
Bloodflowers
Uncle Bob should read your post David!!! :)
A setlist with these songs (with "charlotte sometimes" and "a chain of flowers" for me) would be better than a dream!!!  :smth060
[color=red][b]I BELONG TO THE CURE!♥[/b][/color]
[color=black]Lost forever in a happy crowd![/color]
[color=purple][i]I will kiss you forever on nights like this, I will kiss you, I will kiss you...and we shall be together...[/i][/color]
[color=green]CUREFANS.COM RULEZ!:D[/color]

tigermilk

Quote from: dsanchez on March 25, 2008, 10:16:18

Play more:
Mint car
Plastic passion
This twilight garden
The last day of summer
Bloodflowers

Oh man, I'd love to see Plastic Passion live! Definately agree that these should be played more often. Grinding Halt, Fire In Cairo and Jumping Someone Else's Train are also live favourites of mine recently... the live versions are a hundred times better than the studio versions... plus they don't have keyboards in these songs so they can rock out perfectly! And I love the train video they play when they perform Jumping Someone Else's Train!

Plainsong

Deep Green Sea, PLEASE. It's long, long, long and the casual Cure fan doesn't recognize it. I don't mind the shorter songs being played at every gig (and they're usually singles that most people know) but FTEOTDGS can be a real dead spot in a show if the crowd's not into it.
In its place I would like for them to attempt "A Pink Dream"...I'd love to hear the current lineup give that one a go. And "2 Late" also please. :)

japanesebaby

Quote from: Plainsong on March 25, 2008, 20:16:34
Deep Green Sea, PLEASE. It's long, long, long and the casual Cure fan doesn't recognize it. I don't mind the shorter songs being played at every gig (and they're usually singles that most people know) but FTEOTDGS can be a real dead spot in a show if the crowd's not into it.

i really have to disagree - what i do agree about is that it all depeends on the performance of the song, whether it lives or dies... but concerning 'from the edge...': many if not all performances of this song i heard this tour were absolutely great - i really didn't see no dead spots there. so about people being bored during it? maybe someone who only came to hear some damn 'lovecats' and who is already going to be yawning around 100 minutes anyway, whatever songs they played.
besides, the fact is that considering the duration of the cure shows in general, the idea that they should play more short songs isn't a good one: they are playing 3 hour sets so there HAS to be long songs there too, that's the whole point. if they focused on short ones/only singles - that would mean their sets became really fragmented!

btw i'm well aware that just a minute ago i posted elsewhere here about the band having to consider casual concert-goers and not just die-hard cure fans. but about this song i have to disagree, still.
anyway funnily, if i'd been asked this before the tour i very likely might have agreed with you - but after hearing the song 6 times live recently i've definitely changed my mind.

about song durations in general: well i think they should much better consider discarding some short songs, like 'inbetween days'...
Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine