Porl/Pearl today

Started by cheyler, July 22, 2013, 21:10:39

Previous topic - Next topic

cheyler

I was a little indecisive about posting this but it was vetted and we're not talking about Jimmy Savile so here goes...

It seems pretty clear, after seeing all the signposts, that Porl has either undergone or will undergo gender reassignment surgery.  No announcement will be made, obviously (and this is definitely not an announcement).  I have no contact with the band or any individual member or any member of any of their families or any employee of The Cure, you get the idea.  This is not a statement of fact or an attempt to embarrass, as if that would be possible...

A few points...

(1) The radical change over 2007-8 continuing into 2009.  Nothing in and of itself.
(2) The e-mail from last year...about his mind being in a better place than for a long while.
(3) Leaving the band and auctioning much of his Cure paraphernalia.
(4) The physical change apparent at the Coachella gig.  The estrogen therapy was beginning to take effect, I'll stop there.
(5) Legally changing his name from Paul to Pearl (which has been done).

He was always somewhat 'ambiguous' especially during the '89-'92 period, again nothing in and of itself, so were the others.  Someone making that decision would certainly be in a much better space psychologically as the, confusion for lack of a better word, would rapidly dissippate.  He left the band because he was at the end of the line as far as not wanting to go public, any longer and the changes would have given the game away.  It wouldn't surprise me if he knew that Coachella was the final gig.  It's been four years since Coachella and the remaining steps would have been completed.  Has anyone seen a picture since Coachella?  He auctioned his paraphernalia because he knew he would never appear with The Cure again, ever.  I was hoping too but once this all became clear, well...  Those that saw Coachella saw his final appearance.  That was a very very quiet and reserved crowd, does anyone know why?  Is that today's American festival crowd?  I don't think we'll ever see Pearl again actually.  The occasional message, possibly.

None of this is in an effort to embarrass.  It just kind of all fell into place and it might dispel some of the mystery for a lot of people...which is a good thing.  Back when I was in 'what the hell is going on' mode, I was feeling a big judgemental.  Now, just the opposite.  I'm happy for PT (which still works) and wish PT all the luck and happiness in the world.  Thanks for all the wonderful music and all the years of being an irreplaceable member of The Cure.  Say hello every now and then, huh?

Ulrich

I'm not exactly sure what your point is here...  :?
You could easily have added this to the other thread you'd already posted in.

I'll just repeat my comment from there:
QuotePorl is a true artist, going his own way in a unique style.

I guess Pearl will continue working in arts? (Don't forget, PT co-designed many covers for the band, before & after rejoining them as a musician. And worked as a painter/artist for years after he quit in '93.)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

cheyler

Quote from: Ulrich on July 23, 2013, 14:33:53
I'm not exactly sure what your point is here...  :?
You could easily have added this to the other thread you'd already posted in.

I'll just repeat my comment from there:
QuotePorl is a true artist, going his own way in a unique style.

I guess Pearl will continue working in arts? (Don't forget, PT co-designed many covers for the band, before & after rejoining them as a musician. And worked as a painter/artist for years after he quit in '93.)

Didn't add it in to the other thread because it would have sunk to the bottom without a trace.  You are correct, but that was my reasoning.

My comments should not be construed as an accusation...toward anyone.  Bands and band members don't owe the fans anything, not even a single moment of their time.  At some point, they began to feel an obligation (to a greater or lesser degree) to cough up a minute here, a minute there, some feigned politeness while always thinking 'I gotta get out of here, shit to do you know...'.  There are genuine exceptions.  A few million albums sold and a sack of cash and they either go over the edge or get humble.  You know which direction The Cure chose.  If someone in Motorhead for example left the band to get the surgery, Lemmy would be the first to say 'the barmy bastard left to get his bollocks lopped off'.  The Cure is the complete opposite.  He's off, not a single word about it (not THAT it happened and not WHY it happened).  Do I feel I'm owed an explanation?  No.  Their lives are theirs and they are free to do whatever the hell they want without getting the approval of the fans.  Although I would loudly disagree if they dumped Simon in favor of the guy from Subway Sect...outside of that my statement stands.  My point in all THIS (since I knew you were gonna ask)?  None.  A bunch of different pieces of information mixed with various thoughts and sometimes you get a new thought.  That's all this is.  If true, the only thing I have to say is 'go for it, good luck, enjoy yourself and thank you'. 

If all this turns out to have some merit, I can't help but think that there's ONE particular item that would have fetched a good price at auction...

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on July 23, 2013, 18:41:30Didn't add it in to the other thread because it would have sunk to the bottom without a trace

Oh, that might happen to this thread as well.
You've lost me a bit when explaining (or trying to explain) why this thread needs to not sink without trace, especially as there is no point. But never mind, maybe someone else will understand and give you excellent feedback.

cheyler

I get it, this bugs you for some reason.  To satisfy my curiosity, please tell me how.  I'm not trying to challenge you or tell you you're full of shit or whatever, I'm genuinely interested in how this idea may piss folks off.  It's just an opinion/idea, possibly discussion of this aspect of someone's life when they clearly (assuming it's true) did not wish to disclose this information?  I can see that.  I definitely did not do it to offend and I certainly do not care about positive feedback.  If this all pans out, I would not dream of trying to ridicule or humiliate or verbally assault anyone.  It's just a conclusion drawn from various bits of information.  I'm pretty much in awe of anyone who has gone down that road.  It would take unimaginable amounts of courage, more than I've got.  Not that if I had the courage I'd do the same thing, definitely milquetoast in my house!  Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond without accusations and swearing.  That's pretty much the whole point of the site I think...

Ulrich

Quote from: cheyler on July 24, 2013, 06:19:02
I get it, this bugs you for some reason. 

No, it doesn't bug me, I just don't understand it.  :oops:
The other thread (started by you not long ago) is just here in the same branch of the forum, so why 2 new threads with almost the "same" topic (both of which might sink without trace)?

Quote from: cheyler on July 24, 2013, 06:19:02
It's just an opinion/idea, possibly discussion of this aspect of someone's life when they clearly (assuming it's true) did not wish to disclose this information? 

This "information" was given by Pearl a while ago, you can still read it here (incl. link to the news posted on ChainofFlowers blog):
http://curefans.com/curenews/porl-won't-longer-play-in-the-cure/

Quotei am working on a lot of new projects..jewellery, music, art and mixed media;

This is good to know, isn't it?

dsanchez

I personally don't care if Porl turns into an alien. I am not interest to know about the personal life of The Cure members.  All I know is that Porl is probably the best musician the band ever had. That's all it matters for me.

I know some persons might be interested knowing more about artist's personal life (i.e I remember in a Queen Fan Foum some members discussing about when Freddie Mercury may have contracted his disease), but I am, personally, more interested in the artist side more than in the personal side.

Of course, I also understand some people are just curious :)

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Quote from: dsanchez on July 24, 2013, 10:04:08
... personally, more interested in the artist side more than in the personal side.

Me too! But sometimes, it can be interesting how one influenced the other, what inspired the songs etc.!

cheyler

This is just something that occurred to me after reading and hearing all the different bits and pieces, I didn't set out to try to prove or disprove anything, just a completely random thought that seemed to make sense and I put it out there to get your opinions.  I'm not trying to get people to slap me on the back (or across the face).  Seems like there's mainly the attitude of '...uh, who f*cking cares?...', which is as valid as any other response.  If it's true, fine by me.  If not, I was wrong, fine by me.  Simply by broaching this subject, I'm fairly certain that I am not damaging or destroying the life and/or reputation of someone who is, after all, a very public figure.  It is after all purely speculation, I'm sure PT has been rumoured to be involved in far more decadent behavior over the years (simply because of his appearance and the fact that he was in The Cure...most definitely NOT based on any facts!).  I'm a fan of the guy after all, love his playing and guitar sound and the albums and tunes he's been involved in and the gigs he was at are the best gigs the band ever played.  If this is a subject that is off limits then I'm in the wrong place...

Ikissedyoursmile

Quote from: cheyler on July 24, 2013, 18:55:20
This is just something that occurred to me after reading and hearing all the different bits and pieces, I didn't set out to try to prove or disprove anything, just a completely random thought that seemed to make sense and I put it out there to get your opinions.  I'm not trying to get people to slap me on the back (or across the face).  Seems like there's mainly the attitude of '...uh, who f*cking cares?...', which is as valid as any other response.  If it's true, fine by me.  If not, I was wrong, fine by me.  Simply by broaching this subject, I'm fairly certain that I am not damaging or destroying the life and/or reputation of someone who is, after all, a very public figure.  It is after all purely speculation, I'm sure PT has been rumoured to be involved in far more decadent behavior over the years (simply because of his appearance and the fact that he was in The Cure...most definitely NOT based on any facts!).  I'm a fan of the guy after all, love his playing and guitar sound and the albums and tunes he's been involved in and the gigs he was at are the best gigs the band ever played.  If this is a subject that is off limits then I'm in the wrong place...

I think thats perfect! POrls sound...we shouldve nicknamed Porl " The Sound "because i have never heard anything like it before. Im so gonna miss it

dsanchez

A picture of Pearl in a recent event in NYC.
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ulrich

Apart from the hair, can't see him changed a lot...
Anyway, good to see he still has his guitar (and plays it)!  :smth023

Ikissedyoursmile

Y
Quote from: Ulrich on October 09, 2013, 12:57:27
Apart from the hair, can't see him changed a lot...
Anyway, good to see he still has his guitar (and plays it)!  :smth023
yes! Very happy hes stil playing guitar. Im abit confused about him still...still mourning the fact we'll never hear him again in the Cure.

dsanchez

2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

Ikissedyoursmile

Quote from: dsanchez on October 10, 2013, 11:04:07
Another photo...

ok. Im not confused anymore,lol. Im not laughing at her.