TOOL-2009 Tour

Started by jbud1980, August 09, 2009, 02:10:18

Previous topic - Next topic

jbud1980

ok, so i have been an avid fan of TOOL since Aenima came out my freshman year in high school, have seen them three times, own all of their albums, blah blah blah.

anyway, they have recently embarked on somewhat of a mini US tour with only one date in california...a festival at that. so yeah, i was wondering if any of you have seen TOOL recently/will be going because i am not sure if want to go.

i love TOOL, but i hate predictable, watered-down setlists, and they really only stick to one setlist, and with no encores (look at the setlists from the recent shows...8, maybe 9 songs?!)

what do u guys think?  :smth017

crowbi_wan

Quote from: jbud1980 on August 09, 2009, 02:10:18
predictable, watered-down setlists

I haven't seen them since Lollapalooza back in '94(?).  From what I've ready, they've been playing the exact same set for the last 3 years.  :roll:  I'd say it could still be worth it just because you haven't seen them in a while, even if you know what you'll be getting.  Who else is playing the festival?  If there's some other interesting acts to lessen the sting of what I can only assume is an outrageous ticket price, why not make a day of it?   

jbud1980

Quote from: crowbi_wan on August 09, 2009, 07:46:50
Quote from: jbud1980 on August 09, 2009, 02:10:18
predictable, watered-down setlists

I haven't seen them since Lollapalooza back in '94(?).  From what I've ready, they've been playing the exact same set for the last 3 years.  :roll:  I'd say it could still be worth it just because you haven't seen them in a while, even if you know what you'll be getting.  Who else is playing the festival?  If there's some other interesting acts to lessen the sting of what I can only assume is an outrageous ticket price, why not make a day of it?   

alice in chains (if it were layne staley then i would go just for them), linkin park, aesop rock and a few others. i just don't wanna drive an hour and wait twelve hours in the blistering sun to see TOOL play a one hour set that is highly predictable. :( ugh, dilemma, dilemma!

crowbi_wan

Yeah, I hear you.  I'd probably pass.  For me, festivals need to have a solid lineup or be pretty cheap for me to go.  For example.  I'll be at day one of Outside Lands (Pearl Jam, Silversun Pickups, Incubus, Built to Spill, The Duke Spirit, The National, Los Campesinos!, The Dodos) because the lineup is stacked with bands I want to see.  So many that I'm sure I'll end up missing some.  I'll still be in SF for days 2 and 3 of the festival, just haven't decided if I want to go.  $100+ for tickets is kind of pricey considering I only want to see a few bands each of the other days.  Might just go sight-seeing and take in some local dive bar shows in the evening. 

jbud1980

Quote from: crowbi_wan on August 09, 2009, 08:23:11
Yeah, I hear you.  I'd probably pass.  For me, festivals need to have a solid lineup or be pretty cheap for me to go.  For example.  I'll be at day one of Outside Lands (Pearl Jam, Silversun Pickups, Incubus, Built to Spill, The Duke Spirit, The National, Los Campesinos!, The Dodos) because the lineup is stacked with bands I want to see.  So many that I'm sure I'll end up missing some.  I'll still be in SF for days 2 and 3 of the festival, just haven't decided if I want to go.  $100+ for tickets is kind of pricey considering I only want to see a few bands each of the other days.  Might just go sight-seeing and take in some local dive bar shows in the evening. 

wow, that is pricey. i saw incubus at the weenie roast back in 2001 with rob zombie, the strokes, system of a down, violent femmes, POD, and a few others. rob zombie was so good!

nothing wrong with a dive bar, and the price is always right.  :smth023

jbud1980

Anybody going to the upcoming shows?

I scored tix to the July 18th show at the Nokia.

crowbi_wan

I'm passing this time around.  Word is new A Perfect Circle this year.   :smth023

jbud1980

ok, can i get your two-cents on this?

on june 4th, i went on ticketmaster and by a stroke of luck, i saw that tickets for three LA dates were going on sale that day. at exactly 10 am, i logged on and scored orchestra tix for the july 18th show, and even printed them up. however, within 30 minutes, all three events were pulled from ticketmaster. On Tool's website, i was informed that tickets weren't supposed to go on sale, yet i have repeatedly called ticketmaster to verify if my tix are still valid, and according to them, they still are. Anyway, yesterday, i noticed on Tool's website that tickets for the july 18th show will be going on sale this friday. i called ticketmaster and they said that once my tickets have been printed, they cannot re-sell those seats...

what do you think?

i really don't want to go to the show, stand in line, and at the entrance, find out my tickets aren't valid.

...and a new APC album??? i saw them back in 2004 with the mars volta opening. i came out more of a fan of the mars volta, however, mer des noms is one of my favorite albums.