4:13 Dream 'Studio' or 'Live'

Started by wish-man, October 20, 2008, 23:32:08

Previous topic - Next topic

What is better studio album or live album?

Live album
5 (18.5%)
Studio album
5 (18.5%)
The album sucks anyway, both studio and live
1 (3.7%)
Both are good
10 (37%)
The songs themselves are good but the production sucks
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 27

japanesebaby

Quote from: crowbi_wan on October 23, 2008, 06:54:11
btw, didn't RS at one point say how stripped down the album was?  I want to hear that mix.   

indeed!

i think a completely fresh mix would be the only hope to make this album sound like some decent piece of music.
anyone who'd know how to sneak in and steal the multi-tracks for this?  :lol: :(

Ay, in the very temple of Delight
Veil'd Melancholy has her sovran shrine

lostflower4

Quote from: japanesebaby on October 23, 2008, 09:26:24i think a completely fresh mix would be the only hope to make this album sound like some decent piece of music.
anyone who'd know how to sneak in and steal the multi-tracks for this?  :lol: :(

If only The Cure would do something like Nine Inch Nails did with "Ghosts".

Then they could literally tell us, "If you don't like it, make your own!"  :smth023

nausearockpig

Quote from: lostflower4 on October 23, 2008, 07:50:53
It's sad... Every single album since Wish has had progressively worse sound.

I thought Wild Mood Swings sounded bad when I first heard it, but now it sounds awesome compared to the new stuff. I didn't care much for the sound of Bloodflowers, but it sounds great by comparison. I had problems with The Cure album from 2004, but I'd take the sound of it over this any day.

Don't worry, by the time they release an album in 2020 everything from WMS onwards will sound awesome....

nausearockpig

I think Regurgitator's tune of "I Like Your Old Stuff Better Than Your New Stuff" will ring true for a lot of The Cure fans....

lostflower4

Looks like we're famous now:

http://www.justiceforaudio.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=265

You know, I've been meaning to comment about the recent Metallica album Death Magnetic, but didn't get around to it.

The sound is seriously awful, with the drums clipping like crazy in many places. Fortunately, several people have made digital rips from the Guitar Hero version of the album, which don't suffer from loudness treatment. And not surprisingly, the sound is quite good!

But I don't think a Guitar Hero version of 4:13 will be coming out anytime soon, so I say we start making our voices heard!

sonic

Hi everyone,

honestly, I really don't understand, what some of you have against the new album.
I think it sounds great. Great songs, Robert's singing is great. Porls guitar sounds very good. Brilliant bass by Simon and even the drums sound at least fresh.
I didn't like the production of the last album (especially for the pop songs), but I can't find anything wrong in the new production. I prefer the studio album by far to the live album. e.g. The Only One and Freakshow are very "thin" live and are much fatter on the album. It's Over is also more direct on the studio album.

For me, it's the best album since Disintegration
----------My Cure Shows-------------
-Hamburg 87-Hamburg 89-Konstanz 89--
-Leipzig 90-Hamburg 92-Werchter 95--
Hamburg 96-Hildesheim 98-Hamburg 00-
--Berlin 00-Hamburg 00-Roskilde 01--
-Hamburg 02-Berlin 02-Scheessel 04--
-Berlin 05-Hamburg 08-Oberhausen 08-

dsanchez

Quote from: lostflower4 on October 23, 2008, 12:14:57
Looks like we're famous now:

http://www.justiceforaudio.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=265

I thought we already were? :P

I think there's a major consensuns among the curefans: the songs are pretty good, with the album being probably one of the greatest of Cure's carrier, but the production sucks badly. Time to call Mr. Brian Eno!
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

splitmilk34

I really like the live versions from Rome but Robert's voice sounded weak during the whole set... and he is singing very different on these new tracks.  Really, only Underneath the Stars has a classic Cure vocal take.  The rest of the vocals sound like an odd mix of The Top/Head On the Door era vox, but without the violence and energy.  So far, from what I've heard on the studio album, the vocals sound great (performance... not the mix) but I'm worried that his voice is going to disappear soon.  Seriously, when I saw them in Chicago in May Robert's voice was giving out.  Turns out the next week he was sick or something... voice just flailing about.  I've always been a firm believer that, at least, 60% of a great Cure song are Robert's vocals.
"... sleeping less every night"

~*CherryRed*~

Just a quick thought...

(and I should point out that I'm really not in a position to comment, as I haven't heard the new album as yet!)

I had a thought as I read all the posts about the sound quality etc... of the new album. Do you think that this way of doing the sound is the new thing? And that all us listeners are basically older and used to a different way of it being done? Just a thought I had as I read thru the posts!
"prone to flights of whimsy"

dsanchez

Quote from: ~*CherryRed*~ on October 28, 2008, 00:52:11
Do you think that this way of doing the sound is the new thing? And that all us listeners are basically older and used to a different way of it being done? Just a thought I had as I read thru the posts!

Yes, sadly is the new trend. Is not a matter of age, is just the way the music industry try to sell more? (I don't see other explanation)

An excellent explanation about this "loudness war" can be seen here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ
2023.11.22 Lima
2023.11.27 Montevideo

rodney

The Rome show suffered because Robert's voice was really weak (thought not as bad as Chicago by any means, which I guess wasn't as bad as a few that followed that date).  Production is lacking, and there's nothing stripped down or natural about this album at all.  Too many vocal effects on Robert's voice.  But still, best collection of songs since Wish.

Dillinger

I haven't listened to it live, but the production on it seems alright to me. I really like the album too, I'm sick of people moaning about wanting a really dark album. I guarantee that if they made another bleak record it would sound phoned in and second rate.

edit: Reading the other thread, seems like alot have problems with the production. I haven't listened to it alot, maybe my opinion will change. Icky Thump had some bad production that was noticeable right away, this, at least, seems better than that.