The Cure announce USA tour for 2016

Started by Ulrich, October 06, 2015, 13:58:33

Previous topic - Next topic

cheyler

As yet unreleased tracks?  Hmm...

There's gonna be a real live Seattle show too, first in town since the Wish Tour.  There have been nearby and not-so-nearby shows since then but nothing actually IN Seattle.  Very likely be June the 1st since they ARE doing consecutive night shows and Vancouver is on the 31st and is much closer than Salt Lake on the 3rd of June.

cheyler

I was wrong, they played in Seattle in December 1997 but I was not really paying attention at the time; 1993-1999 is my least favorite period/era.  After Bloodflowers was released the 'low points' have been almost non-existent.

The relevant part of this post follows...

This Seattle date is getting a bit worrying.  I'm not going to Canada to see them; crossing the border was a hell of a lot easier in 1981 than it is now.  For some reason, very little music makes it to Seattle these days, not sure if it's the promoters or the lack of a suitable venue.  The Cure at least announced their INTENTION to play here and that might have to be sufficient.  It sure is appreciated.  All we got recently was Billy Joel who now looks like Mussolini with hair plugs.  I didn't go, I can fall asleep at home thank you very much.  25 years ago we could see Nirvana three times a week in a tiny club for next to nothing.  Not to mention Soundgarden and Alice In Chains and Mudhoney, all of whom I despised.  Still do.  Times have changed!  Last show I saw was Black Sabbath with Dio shortly before he died, more than six years ago.  Before that, The Damned, Buzzcocks and Motorhead (over a period of years).  Johnny Rotten and PiL are playing (in two days) the same tiny venue I saw them in almost 35 years ago, so maybe things haven't changed that much after all.  The last lineup with Porl scheduled a Seattle date in late 2007 but canceled to finish the album and said 'sorry but we'll reschedule'.  They DID, but not Seattle.  Eighteen out of nineteen dates that got postponed were rescheduled in the original venue.  All but one.  One.  Guess who?  Instead they re-schedule as a festival date hundreds of miles away in the most godforsaken venue on the f***ing planet (apart from Altamont).  I don't care who plays there, they could announce 'An Evening with Beethoven and Mozart: Returned From The Dead For One Night Only' and I wouldn't go...  There's not enough room in the schedule to book a festival date, even if there were any on June 1st.  So we may yet miss out on this tour, which I believe will be their very last comprehensive 'world tour'.  A lot of the punk era guys are hitting and surpassing 60 years old;  Roger, Steve Jones, Captain Sensible, even Rotten himself in a few weeks.  Is there a home for OAPs?  ('p' for punk, obviously)  I don't want to lump Roger in with the punks, might be a better idea to say the guys that were forming bands in the late 70s/early 80s are starting to reach 60.  Except John Cooper Clarke who is coming up on 70.  Why the scene in Manchester in the 70s embraced a heroin user ten years older than they were is difficult to figure, but he's funny as hell so who cares?

Ulrich

Now a Hawaii show has been added on July 16th.

Who's going? That sounds perfect: holiday on Hawaiian islands plus Cure show!  :)
The holy city breathed like a dying man...

MeltingMan

Quote from: cheylerAll we got recently was Billy Joel who now looks like
Mussolini with hair plugs.
:lol:
En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)