Currently Listening to

Started by Steve, April 08, 2007, 08:56:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulrich

50 years gone, but not forgotten...

The holy city breathed like a dying man...

Ulrich

MeltingMan

En cette nation [Russie] qui n'a pas eu de théoriciens et de démagogues,
les pires ferments de destruction ont apparu. (J. Péladan)

Ulrich

SueC

Brett specifically wanted me to say he likes that last one too, @Ulrich. The film is just beautifully shot as well and we love the running-backwards they've done for some of these scenes... ♥

SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Quote from: SueC on July 16, 2021, 13:34:03Brett specifically wanted me to say he likes that last one too,

That's nice to hear, thanks.

Here is one from his more "experimental" new solo album:

MeltingMan

SueC

I remember where I first saw/heard that song, @MeltingMan: Our ABC's very serious, no-advertisements Rock Arena in the mid-80s - as part of a bracket that included Rock Lobster, which I also liked. I laughed at the zaniness of this stuff and loved the two women's voices - and when they harmonise it's just amazing...

Same programme is also where I first came across REM, who back then were also definitely zany...

Mmmhhh, @Ulrich, I genuinely liked Hugo Race's other stuff, but this one sounds like the soundtrack to a movie about dealing with a psychotic episode or some kind of action movie building up to a twisted sort of premeditated violence...

The "like" on the Doors track is vicariously from Brett, who says that's one of his favourite Doors songs. Me, I like some of their stuff but I'm also liking it less as I get older.
SueC is time travelling

Ulrich

Ulrich

Ulrich

Inspired by another topic: in the late 80's and during the 90's many bands added a "folk flavour" to their music (in this case it's the violin by Ed Alleyne Johnson):

Quote"The rains move in eastwards, in waves of succession
Drawing lines of grey across the sky..."

SueC

Inspired by the same topic, which is making me fall in love with this stuff all over again.  ;)

The percussion on this... the singing... the language...  :heart-eyes

QuoteLyrics:

Bheir mi sgriob do Thobar Mhoire
Far a bheil mo ghaol an comann

Sèist:
E o hi urabho o hi u
E o hao ri ri
E o hao ri sna bho hu o
E o hi urabho o hi u

Far a bheil mo ghaol an comann
Luchd nan leadan 's nan cul donna

Luchd nan leadan 's nan cul donna
Dh'oladh am fion dearg na thonnan

Bheir mi sgriob dhan Lochaidh luachrach
Far a bheil mo ghaol an t-uasal

Far a bheil mo ghaol an t-uasal
Gheibhinn cadal leat gun chluasag

Gheibhinn cadal leat gun chluasag
'S cul mo chinn am bac do ghuala

English Translation:

I shall take a trip to Tobermory
To the company that I love

Chorus (after each verse):
E o hi urabho o hi u
E o hao ri ri
E o hao ri sna bho hu o
E o hi urabho o hi u

To the company that I love
The folk of the long flowing brown hair

The folk of the long flowing brown hair
Who drink red wine in bumpers

I shall take a trip to Achadh Luachrach
To my high-born lover

To my high-born lover
I would sleep with you with no pillow

I would sleep with you with no pillow
And the back of my head in the crook of your shoulder

from http://www.celticlyricscorner.net/macneil/bheir.htm
SueC is time travelling

MeltingMan

Die Doofen - Mief (nimm mich jetzt auch wenn ich stinke) 😵

Ulrich

Quote from: MeltingMan on July 26, 2021, 19:28:03Die Doofen - Mief (nimm mich jetzt auch wenn ich stinke) 😵

Ha ha, funny song, at least for a while, but if you listen too often it starts to stink... :winking_tongue

SueC

I find this song totally mesmeric pattern-wise. It's like a mathematical sudoku thing. Was listening to it about ten times in a row today to work out various patterns and was nearly ignoring the lyrics. It's just one of those things - my brain was counting in fours the whole time, from the start. Things get really interesting when the bass drops in.

Before listening to this song (in the car coming back from a hike) Brett had put on a couple of Cure tracks where we were ooohing and aaahing over the bass, which is such a backbone for their music - and it's both rhythmic and melodic. Which then had me thinking about a different style, because last night I had to fix a fence and therefore listened to an album - Seance as it turns out. When we went to Steve Kilbey's gig a few months ago, it really struck me that he's got a very unusual bass style.

So on this song, the pattern is 8-8-16-16-16-8-8-16-16-16 through a lot of it, and then 16 recurring towards the end. Someone else can translate that into music-speak if they want; I'm just using mathematical notation for groups of the same note. Music like this fascinates me because there's an unusual pattern to work out. The repeating groups of 16 are like meditation and then the interspersed 8-8 makes your brain go, "Oh, hello!"  :cool   I also love how the drums and guitars do complementary patterns to fit together with the bass. The Cure get me with this a lot, but they're more like Bach and this is much "longer" and simpler in a way - it's very "patient" music, very mellow, but also fascinating because of it.

So that's a song I can listen to over and over and over again because its pattern just fascinates my brain. Here's another one that has this effect on me - completely different genre:

Anyone got any songs that have that sort of effect on them?

I remember that kind of repeating patterning was really fun to do when learning violin. Now double it. Now quadruple it. Etc etc.
SueC is time travelling